PDA

View Full Version : California Jurat form

SanPedroShooter
12-12-2010, 10:54 AM
I posted this in another thread, but i didnt get any answer

I got my email. but there was this in it, "For your order to be completed- you will need to send in the Jurat form that is required with all CA notaries."
WTF? The form was notarized in the right place. Did anyone else send in this "jurat form"???
Edit*
Form mailed 11-22, recieved 11-29, order processed 12-6 with request for "jurat form"

As i noted above, i had the notary fill out the cmp form in the right place. I was a little suprised that he didnt stamp it or anything, but he filled it out completly. I think the form made him a little nervous, he was looking at me like i might suddenly produce a gun right then and there.
Did anyone else have to supply a second "jurat" form with their order?

Toyman321
12-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Nope I didn't, but my notary stamped my paperwork, maybe since yours didn't is why.

rp55
12-12-2010, 11:40 AM
My Notary did that Jurat form for my CMP order. I think it is unique to California and a fairly new manner of notarizing things. I have gotten them for other notarized documents. Rather than stamp the documents they have a separate form that as I recall lists all the documents and acts as a cover sheet for the documents to be notarized.

SanPedroShooter
12-12-2010, 12:25 PM
I'll have to go back and see if i can get the form out of him. Worse case, i'll have to notarize the whole thing over and re-mail it. Argghh

blu97
12-12-2010, 12:40 PM
I have a notary where I work, nice lady, but she also worried about the form because it's for a rifle.I asked to look up the website and this seamed to calm her fears.

I reminded her that a man my age could have worse hobbies, she agreed.

Now I have 4 done at the same time, they are valid until the charter runs out.

blakdawg
12-12-2010, 2:24 PM
There are two different standard forms for notarizations in California - acknowledgments and jurats. The wording is different. You can find both forms at http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/notary/.

TRICKSTER
12-12-2010, 7:13 PM
I posted this in another thread, but i didnt get any answer

I got my email. but there was this in it, "For your order to be completed- you will need to send in the Jurat form that is required with all CA notaries."
WTF? The form was notarized in the right place. Did anyone else send in this "jurat form"???
Edit*
Form mailed 11-22, recieved 11-29, order processed 12-6 with request for "jurat form"

As i noted above, i had the notary fill out the cmp form in the right place. I was a little suprised that he didnt stamp it or anything, but he filled it out completly. I think the form made him a little nervous, he was looking at me like i might suddenly produce a gun right then and there.
Did anyone else have to supply a second "jurat" form with their order?

When I did mine a couple of years ago, the Notary filled out both the CMP form plus another form that he added (Jurat form?), stamping both with his notary seal.

Paul S
12-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Interesting...
I got my C&Rin August and only had the notary stamp and sign at the bottom of the green form. Got the C&R license no problem 3+ weeks later. No jurat form was used. Go figure... :confused:

rkt88edmo
12-12-2010, 11:46 PM
There are two different standard forms for notarizations in California - acknowledgments and jurats. The wording is different. You can find both forms at http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/notary/.

This. I was a notary. These forms are nothing new. If the notary you paid used a form that does not have the proper CA wording they screwed up and I would ask them to notarize again and waive the fee. That being said, it might be easiest to just go to whatever UPS/drugstore is handy that has a notary. The jurat or acknowledgemetn do not have to be a separate form as long as the correct wording is a part of or made part of the original doc.

TRICKSTER
12-13-2010, 1:24 AM
Interesting...
I got my C&Rin August and only had the notary stamp and sign at the bottom of the green form. Got the C&R license no problem 3+ weeks later. No jurat form was used. Go figure... :confused:

You needed your C&R application notarized? When did they start doing this?
I just filled mine out and mailed it with a check.

SanPedroShooter
12-13-2010, 5:42 AM
I should clarify. I am ordering a rifle from the CMP.

ke6guj
12-13-2010, 11:44 AM
Interesting...

yah, there is no notary requirement to get an FFL, C&R or otherwise. You can look at the current PDF applications at ATF and see that there is no notrary requirement shown in the app.

now, if you want to use that C&R FFL in order to fufill the CMP requirements, the CMP app does require that the CMP app be notarized, but not anything about the C&R FFL itself needs to be notarized.

Steyrlp10
12-13-2010, 12:42 PM
This. I was a notary. These forms are nothing new. If the notary you paid used a form that does not have the proper CA wording they screwed up and I would ask them to notarize again and waive the fee. That being said, it might be easiest to just go to whatever UPS/drugstore is handy that has a notary. The jurat or acknowledgemetn do not have to be a separate form as long as the correct wording is a part of or made part of the original doc.

Just to add to this helpful info... I have a current commission, but have unfortunately seen the mistakes of other notaries cross my desk (rejected Grant Deeds, Quitclaims, etc.) because the original notary did not:

1. Clearly place his/her stamp in the designated area (blurred lines of the stamp can be cause for rejection)

2. Used the current form required by the Secretary of State with the correct language (some notaries have forms that are two years old or older -- they don't care about keeping up with the rules)

3. The Jurat differs from the Acknowledgment because you are taking an oath before the Notary as he/she is completing the process. (You can see the difference in language when you compare the two forms to each other.)

POLICESTATE
12-13-2010, 12:46 PM
I have a notary where I work, nice lady, but she also worried about the form because it's for a rifle.I asked to look up the website and this seamed to calm her fears.

I reminded her that a man my age could have worse hobbies, she agreed.

Now I have 4 done at the same time, they are valid until the charter runs out.

I've run into a similar thing with a notary who questioned me about the document. I told them, you are notarizing the signature, not my personal affairs. They did their notary thing and that was that.

Paul S
12-14-2010, 12:11 AM

BRAIN CRAMP ALERT......BRAIN CRAMP ALERT :eek:

It was CMP app which required a notary on the signature....DUH !!!!

Sorry guys....I'll go take my meds now...