PDA

View Full Version : I officially need some help

LloydXmas250
12-11-2010, 3:38 PM
Well I've had my hunting license for almost a year now and I've still never been able to bag a coyote. I've hunted upland game and ground squirrels fine but I've hunted for coyote the most and no luck. My first time out I called in a coyote with a hand call, so I know I'm doing that right. I wasn't set up for the direction he came in and while trying to reposition I was spotted. Since then nothing. I average about one coyote hunt a month and I go with a partner. We go out to the Kramer Junction area cause it's the nearest open rifle area to us that we know of. We always see signs of coyotes and even get some to call back to us. But never ever do we see any while hunting. We call with hand calls and a foxpro. We even have a decoy. Always set up downwind and are consistently ready at sunrise. Nothing. Can anyone offer any advice? If you need more details just ask. I'm kinda getting discouraged with coyotes. Everyone else seems to get them just fine but not us. Now the upland game is a different story. Thanks in advance.

snypr
12-11-2010, 3:42 PM
ahhh grasshopper.......the success in a hunting trip lies in........not being at work and being in the outdoors....that is your success. Actually bagging game is the topping. I know that im most likely not providing the info you wanted, but sometimes happiness comes from taking a step back :)

Eric Mayer
12-11-2010, 4:31 PM
Tell us more about your set-up, sounds, sound level, etc.

We have all had dry-spells, but maybe there is some info we can give to help!

Eric :cool:

olhunter
12-11-2010, 4:37 PM
Coyotes are wiley...lol. You're probably being spotted or heard before you set up. Or you're moving around too much. Even a little is too much. If they spot you, they're not coming. And you most likely won't see them when they're checking you out.

Or you're just having a dry spell. Next time out you might get 5. Keep at it.

I'm sure you've heard stories about the guy who has hunted deer every year his whole life and never got one and the kid who's first time out got a record-setter. Just how it works sometimes.

And like snypr says, just being out there is better than most other things.

JJW
12-11-2010, 5:14 PM
Well...... If your calling in the same area it could be those coyotes are wise to a call. Certainly the one you got busted by now knows what a call is. Good thing is there's a whole new crop of youngsters trying to earn a living that will come to a call. Try to call in a different area 4-5 miles away. Come April-May, try a Fawn bleat. In May if you have a dog, take him with you when you go calling and let him run around. (Disclaimer- you might incur some vet bills)
Good luck.

LloydXmas250
12-11-2010, 6:26 PM
Well we do try different spots near the junction. If we had bad luck we usually don't go back to that exact spot. And actually the one that busted me wasn't in that area at all.
As far as calls I use lightning jack and rabbit distress mainly on the foxpro but I've tried just about them all to see if anything happened. Volume I keep at 4. 5 can start to sound broken. It could very well be that they're busting us but both of us have good vision at all of our other hunting styles so I feel like I would have seen at least one.

I totally agree that being outdoors is the treat but I'm really craving that cherry on top.

Couldn't take my dog. He's very gun-shy. I think he would die. What exactly would that do Gavin my dog around?

Eric Mayer
12-11-2010, 7:42 PM
It sounds like you are doing everything correctly. I would head to a different area further out and away from where others may have called already.

Also, do you walk a distance from your vehicle? If not, try walking for a while before calling.

We all have bad stretches of not seeing coyotes, mix it up and keep trying!

Eric :cool:

LloydXmas250
12-11-2010, 7:53 PM
We walk a ways from the car at the start and as we get mire discouraged throughout the day we don't walk as far. Haha. As for time for hunting them what do you all suggest? I feel that if we haven't seen any by 11 we're not likely going to see one after. He swears coyotes are up all day. He's also nit up for evening or night hunts like I am. I'm also willing to try shotgun only areas but he's incessant that we would never get one close enough which I think is very possible.

jawbreaker
12-11-2010, 8:41 PM
Contact PCH, he's a real pro and can certainly get you on some coyotes

5shot
12-11-2010, 9:04 PM
A note on location. If your in Redlands, your very close to rifle "hunting" areas. Most of the SBNF is open to hunting with rifles.
See map here: http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/FishandGame/docs/2010_vly_mtn_shooting_areas_finala.pdf

taperxz
12-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Wake up in the morning and get your coffee going, turn on the news. When the dog runs to the rear slider, yell at him not to bark at the deer outside. Run over to scold him, look out at the sheep, see coyote, grab socom 16 sitting next to the door, open slider and shoot it. That was my morning hunt. Continued making bacon and eggs, watched the news and went to work fencing.

LloydXmas250
12-11-2010, 10:54 PM
A note on location. If your in Redlands, your very close to rifle "hunting" areas. Most of the SBNF is open to hunting with rifles.
See map here: http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/FishandGame/docs/2010_vly_mtn_shooting_areas_finala.pdf

I do hunt one spot I know of that I can hike into SBNF near where I live but it's a long hike for not a lot of area to operate in. I'll look up some more area in the map. I'm fine with hiking but my partner, my step-dad, is not the greatest hiker so I'm limited to what he's willing to do.

jawbreaker
12-12-2010, 9:26 AM
You can definately get them in close enough for a shotgun hit, we do it all the time. I would try having your buddy cover the back door and be sure you don't move. You don't have to hike far from your vehicle either, most of the coyotes we call we aren't more than one or two hundred yards from the Jeep.

Good luck, keep it up and you will get them to come in.

Ron

cruddymutt
12-12-2010, 9:28 PM
Dry spells happen. I only called in 2 dogs last year but only hunted a half dozen times. Last Saturday night was my first outing this year and we called in at least 6 or more. Only got one close enough for a shotgun and I missed. Last night we called in zero but saw 2 on the way home. Im fighting a cold so Im sure my "dying rabbit mixed with muffled hacking phlem cough" didnt help. Are you going out by Red Mountain?

LloydXmas250
12-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Dry spells happen. I only called in 2 dogs last year but only hunted a half dozen times. Last Saturday night was my first outing this year and we called in at least 6 or more. Only got one close enough for a shotgun and I missed. Last night we called in zero but saw 2 on the way home. Im fighting a cold so Im sure my "dying rabbit mixed with muffled hacking phlem cough" didnt help. Are you going out by Red Mountain?

Not quite that far north but in that area yeah. between there and the junction but much closer to the junction.