PDA

View Full Version : "One of the most dangerous weapons on the street"

The Soup Nazi
07-13-2006, 9:32 PM
Hijacked from Survivor's SKS boards, I guess I should be proud that my first firearm is one of the most dangerous weapons on the street which retains its EVIL FOLDING BAYONET. And by the way, isn't body armor pretty much ineffective these days to the point where pretty much any handgun/rifle round can pierce most armor? (Even then, shouldn't all ammunition be dubbed "armor piercing" considering that they do pierce the vest but are just absorbed to reduce the blunt force trauma?) I remember reading that in WW2 fortunate Soviets wearing steel plates could take shrapnal, ricocheted bullets, and 9mm at long range, but that was it. Also, unless this reporter has only played with BB guns, since when was the 7.62X39 "high caliber" especially when its referred to as the ".30 short" sometimes?

Heres my favorite: "The SKS sells for as little as $100 in the streets and is highly accurate" I guess they define highly accurate as "minute of man" at 100 yards. :D

This article reminds me how much ignorance the media can show, but on the other hand, this article does make me feel pretty good in my first choice of rifle. :) Oh well, better email the reporter now that certain "Californian child soldiers of the People's Liberation Army" possess their own SKS rifles, and that there are evil Americans with entire armories in them with internet discussion boards dedicated on discussing how to multiply their killing potential... :D

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/metro/index.ssf?/base/news-15/1152685594130100.xml&coll=1

Acting on a tip, a New Orleans police SWAT team trapped an attempted murder suspect in Algiers' Fischer public housing complex and ran into one of the most dangerous weapons on the streets: the Chinese- and Russian-made SKS rifle.

Police arrested Anthony Thomas, 18, who is suspected of gunning down a man in April, as he was hanging out with a group in which another man was carrying the SKS.

Equipped with a folding bayonet and armor-piercing rounds, the rifle is a cheap and highly effective weapon -- the predecessor of the AK-47 -- that can blast through engine blocks as easily as it can bones, said Louis Faust, one of nearly 20 NOPD tactical officers who arrested five people, including Thomas.

Police got a tip from an informant about 1 p.m. that Thomas, suspected in an April shooting in the 2300 block of Murl Street in Algiers, was seen with a group of men at Fischer.

The SWAT team crept into a courtyard at the complex in the 2000 block of Leboeuf Street and the men loitering, one brazenly holding the SKS, NOPD Lt. Dwayne Scheuremann said.

The team set upon the group of five, who took off running. Soon, the man with the rifle tossed it along with a stash of crack cocaine, Scheuremann said. Another man in the group ditched a .45 caliber pistol and two bundles of heroin, he said.

All five men were arrested. Thomas, who had a pending warrant, was booked Monday with two counts of illegally carrying a weapon, possession of obliterated serial number, drug possession and resisting an officer.

NOPD did not release the charges for the other four men.

Scheuremann said drug dealers and a weapon like an SKS are a dangerous mix.

The SKS sells for as little as $100 in the streets and is highly accurate, Faust said. And the high-caliber ammunition it uses is meant for maximum bodily damage.

Faust said the steel core bullets used in an SKS strike the body then follow bone, so a bullet can "enter your shoulder and come out of your toe."

"You can see what these officers face every day," Deputy Chief John Bryson said, standing over the guns and drugs seized during Tuesday's arrests.

Scheuremann said many drug dealers have returned to the Fischer complex to sell heroin, which he says has emerged as the most popular drug in that section of the city.

In a Fischer courtyard, police said the ground is littered with bullets where people either were exchanging gunfire or shooting up an abandoned car they found pocked with bullet holes.

"What you see here is not just in the Fischer," Scheurmann said, pointing to the SKS. "The shame of it is there are a lot of good people out there who see people with weapons like this, and they're scared. With drug dealers out with these, what can they do?"

Charliegone
07-13-2006, 9:40 PM
BS METER

0------------------5--------------------10
what bs?............hmm........................omfg

on this article

major bs!

SemiAutoSam
07-13-2006, 9:44 PM
BS METER

0------------------5--------------------10
what bs?............hmm........................omfg

on this article

major bs!

I see your BS meter and raise you a new BS meter

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/mag-lock/BSMETER.gif

anotherted
07-13-2006, 9:50 PM
that can blast through engine blocks as easily as it can bones

Really??

SemiAutoSam
07-13-2006, 9:54 PM
And even easier if you use AP rounds.
I fired a 308 SLAP into a junk 454 checy engine and it tore the crankshaft and a few rods and pistons clean out of the block. It looked like 2 V twins after the dust cleared.

anotherted
07-13-2006, 9:56 PM
7.62X51 AP, not 7.62X39

SemiAutoSam
07-13-2006, 10:01 PM
7.62X51 AP, not 7.62X39

YES after all 7.62x39 is for ruskies and soup the hat makes you look like one but the other characteristics of your person do not :D

The Soup Nazi
07-13-2006, 10:07 PM
YES after all 7.62x39 is for ruskies and soup the hat makes you look like one but the other characteristics of your person do not :D

Just wait till I have to pay child support for 10 or more children and I begin strong arming local retailers out of existance by mustering a cheap labor force and charging prices no American can compete with! ;)

crzpete
07-13-2006, 10:42 PM
This one takes the CAKE. Never in many years watching TV, news, reading
on the net and on this board, ever, never, Ever... ever... ever seen this

"SKS strike the body then follow bone, so a bullet can "enter your shoulder and come out of your toe."

TheMan
07-13-2006, 11:10 PM
Faust said the steel core bullets used in an SKS strike the body then follow bone, so a bullet can "enter your shoulder and come out of your toe."

It is 100% true. The SKS deadly armor piercing steel core bullets follows along the bone, and slices the meat right off. I have been using my SKS to debone animals while hunting for quite some time now.:rolleyes:

PanzerAce
07-13-2006, 11:16 PM
It is 100% true. The SKS deadly armor piercing steel core bullets follows along the bone, and slices the meat right off. I have been using my SKS to debone animals while hunting for quite some time now.:rolleyes:

but can it cook them to medium rare as well?

oh, and apparently highschool physics > these guys

edit: found this on another board in responce to the article:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a42/mkern2520/motivatorba5572370dc52b703d8d4b9350.jpg

Charliegone
07-14-2006, 12:16 AM

WTF? Why ain't the big beef companies using this technique? It won't piss off PETA at least..:D

and Sam...I fold.:D

JPglee1
07-14-2006, 12:45 AM
"The SKS sells for as little as $100 in the streets and is highly accurate" I guess they define highly accurate as "minute of man" at 100 yards. :D

I paid $108 out the door for mine, and I can break clay pigeons at 50yds with it no problem, offhand un supported.

It's easily a 2.5MOA shooter... 2.5" at 100yds is NOT inaccurate....

So yah, I would say they are pretty correct in their description. Go shoot the thing before you rag on the accuracy ;)

JP

P.S. I took that boat anchor and tent stake off the front of mine hahaha, might have helped the accuracy. It weighs almost 2 pounds less as well.

anotherone
07-14-2006, 3:15 AM
Hey, at least they didn't use the "High Powered Rifle" buzz phrase that has been taking the media by storm recently. Although total BS, I gotta give them originality points.

anotherted
07-14-2006, 6:08 AM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a42/mkern2520/motivatorba5572370dc52b703d8d4b9350.jpg

AAHH HA HA :D

anotherted
07-14-2006, 6:11 AM
And oh BTW.....

heroin and crack aren't the underlying problems here; ITS THE GUNS! :rolleyes:

chris
07-14-2006, 6:20 AM
i think my BS meter has been pegged by this rhetoric from uninformed police acting like politicians.

BS meter has pegged at 50.

ZapThyCat
07-14-2006, 6:29 AM
I like how the writer makes it appear that SKS's are so dangerous, that we need to make them illegal, so that these drug dealers will no longer have these weapons.... which they no doubt purchased legally, of course!

anotherted
07-14-2006, 7:16 AM
In a Fischer courtyard, police said the ground is littered with bullets

LOL, i guess they reload.

Sorry, I keep finding hidden gems in this "article".

Paul1960
07-14-2006, 7:29 AM
Officer Louis Faust is an idiot who doesn't know when to shut up and let the public affairs guys talk with the press.

The Soup Nazi
07-14-2006, 8:11 AM
And oh BTW.....

heroin and crack aren't the underlying problems here; ITS THE GUNS! :rolleyes:

Actually, Heroin and Crack aren't the problems either, its the drugs being made illegal which springs up cartels and dealers. Now if they were made legal, and we focused on allowing people to use drugs responsibly without infringing other peoples' rights, then there isn't really a problem. Of course no one learned anything from "Al Capowned".

JPglee1
07-14-2006, 8:42 AM
Actually, Heroin and Crack aren't the problems either, its the drugs being made illegal which springs up cartels and dealers. Now if they were made legal, and we focused on allowing people to use drugs responsibly without infringing other peoples' rights, then there isn't really a problem. Of course no one learned anything from "Al Capowned".

You impress me more and more everyday. Im happy to know that some of todays youth are finally seeing the TRUTH about things they've been lied to about over the years...

Good job man.

JP

anotherted
07-14-2006, 8:54 AM

Im not too sure about that idea soup nazi.

The Soup Nazi
07-14-2006, 9:10 AM
Well, if you look back on prohibition, you didn't get a reduction in crime, you of course got the organized crime and succesful bootleggers. Now I'm not for saying that you should be able to smoke a blunt or sniff some white on a park bench, there should be establishments for that just like how bars are the generally accepted place to consume alcohol. The point is that if we made drugs legal in America, you wouldn't have shady dealers on the streets and there would be no reason for smugglers to run our border. Not only would we stop putting resources in hunting down drug manufacturers, we could save the money for something else or even rehabilitate addicts, which would be funded by the sales tax placed on consumer goods, which would include drugs because now people could buy them legitmately rather than off the street where the state sees no money. Personally, I don't see myself using drugs because that isn't my thing, but whats to say that everyone has to follow my preferences as long as they act responsibly?

Not only do you free up some of the country's resources, but you generate an extra source of revenue and allow an avenue for people to pursue a job of ensuring that drug users pursue their hobby responsibly and ensure their safety as well as the safety of other citizens. Much better than the idea of throwing money down the toilet paying people to work in the fraud that is "recycling".

We're so great at going offtopic.

vonsmith
07-14-2006, 9:28 AM
I just had to write a letter to the article's author, Trymaine Lee, at his email address. I believe the points presented in my letter are accurate. Please don't beat me up if you disagree.

Dear Mr. Lee,
I read your Times-Picayune article "5 men arrested as police raid Algiers complex" from July 12, 2006. I was glad to hear that the bad guys were successfully arrested. While reading the article I became aware that you need to find better informed sources to quote when dealing with the local police. While I enjoyed the article I found some of the police quotes from the article to be absurd, almost comical. I own several rifles, one of which is an SKS. I bought an SKS because they are inexpensive and for a 50+ year old rifle can still be found in good condition. While an SKS has good accuracy and reliability it isn't a "high-caliber" rifle. In fact it is underpowered for hunting anything larger than coyote or small deer size game.

Quote from article: "Equipped with a folding bayonet and armor-piercing rounds, the rifle is a cheap and highly effective weapon -- the predecessor of the AK-47 -- that can blast through engine blocks as easily as it can bones, said Louis Faust,"

My comment: To retain the collectibility value of the historic SKS the folding bayonet feature is usually left attached. Rifles make clumsy spears and bayonets are largely a psychological weapon. I've never heard of any gang or drug related bayonetings. Have you? The 7.62x39 ammunition used by the both the SKS and AK-47 is far less powerful than standard hunting rounds like the popular 30-06 (aka: thirty-ought-six). It is more comparable to the .30-30 round popular with old west style lever action rifles.

(from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62_x_39_mm_M43) "This cartridge has endeared itself to shooters in spite of its limited ballistics, which are analogous to the .30-30, because of the many very-inexpensive good semiauto rifles (notably the SKS) available for it in addition to the still-low price of the ammo even in 2006."

With that said the 7.62x39 is a still a good plinking round and suitable for small game. Even military surplus ammunition wouldn't be much good at "blasting" through engine blocks. If one was foolish enough to shoot at an engine block the bullet would probably ricochet off and perhaps hit the shooter. Characterizing an SKS as an "engine block blaster" is absurd.

Quote from article: "The SKS sells for as little as $100 in the streets and is highly accurate, Faust said. And the high-caliber ammunition it uses is meant for maximum bodily damage."

My comment: A used SKS can be found for under $100 and will have reasonable accuracy. The SKS is equipped with typical iron sights like those found on most inexpensive rifles. The sights are rather crude in that the front sight post is very wide making high accuracy shots very difficult. This is to be expected. The SKS is a military surplus rifle and was designed to be rugged and not designed for marksmanship.

(from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62_x_39_mm_M43) "Nearly all modern 7.62x39 mm rounds of civilian or military manufacture are of the M67 variety—a simple boattail FMJ round with a forward air cavity." "However, without fragmentation, the wounding potential of M67 is mostly limited to the small permanent wound channel the bullet itself makes. While a fragmenting round (like the 5.56 x 45 mm) might cause massive tissue trauma and blood loss (and thus rapid incapacitation) on a lung or abdominal hit, the M67 has a greater chance of merely wounding the target. Still, it is an enormous improvement over the M43 design."

Quote from article: "Faust said the steel core bullets used in an SKS strike the body then follow bone, so a bullet can "enter your shoulder and come out of your toe.""

My comment: Federal law prohibits the import of 7.62x39 steel core AP (Armor Piercing) ammunition (ref: 18 USC sec. 922(a)(7), 18 USC sec. 922(a)(8)). As such military surplus 7.62x39 ammunition found in the US is rarely, if ever, steel core. Ammunition where the bullet contains some steel, but not the core, is more common. This ammunition is no more deadly than other similarly sized calibers. I'm not aware of any published data regarding the 7.62x39 bullet having a propensity to "follow bone" any more so than other similar calibers. This conjecture is ridiculous. Any medium caliber bullet, like the 7.62x39, could conceivably bounce off of bone or make circuitous wound channels. We should leave the "magic bullet" histrionics to the realm of fantasy.

Quote from article: "What you see here is not just in the Fischer," Scheurmann said, pointing to the SKS. "The shame of it is there are a lot of good people out there who see people with weapons like this, and they're scared. With drug dealers out with these, what can they do?"

My comment: Drug dealers with weapons of any kind are always scary. The comment "with weapons like this", referring to the SKS, feeds the public hysteria. There are many firearms on the street, both legal and illegal, that are far more lethal than an SKS. Your police sources obviously have an axe to grind. I rather they stick to the published facts and not extemporize.

Thanks for your time,

Sxxxx Hxxxxxx
Bxxxxxx, CA

=vonsmith=

tpliquid1
07-14-2006, 10:01 AM
i once flattened a mountain with a SKS

paradox
07-14-2006, 11:01 AM
i once flattened a mountain with a SKS

I once walked up to a mountain and cut it down with edge of my hand. yeaowowowowaaa. Smell that purple haze thump in your ears with sweet-biterness.

grammaton76
07-14-2006, 12:10 PM
Chuck Norris used to visit all the SKS factories, and touch them, infusing them with his power. As a result, SKSes do not actually fire bullets. They jump out of your hand, fly to the target, roundhouse-kick it, and then return before you notice. Ammunition for the SKS is only a bribe, as the SKS finds it tasty and will refuses to perform a roundhouse kick without a snack.

Neil McCauley
07-14-2006, 12:49 PM
but can it cook them to medium rare as well?

oh, and apparently highschool physics > these guys

edit: found this on another board in responce to the article:

Nice magazine. I wish they would allow SKS's to have detachables like the MIA. I once had a dream I had an sks that had a magazine that curved all the way to the barrell. That would be sweet and I wouldn't have to reload after 10 rnds. Just wish they made a scope mount that dosen't mar the finish and stays at zero.

rips31
07-14-2006, 1:08 PM
Chuck Norris used to visit all the SKS factories, and touch them, infusing them with his power. As a result, SKSes do not actually fire bullets. They jump out of your hand, fly to the target, roundhouse-kick it, and then return before you notice. Ammunition for the SKS is only a bribe, as the SKS finds it tasty and will refuses to perform a roundhouse kick without a snack.
lol...can your chuck norris sks beat my jack bauer sks? :D

The Soup Nazi
07-14-2006, 1:22 PM
lol...can your chuck norris sks beat my jack bauer sks? :D

Macgyver would've had an SKS if he didn't accidently shoot his childhood friend with it. :)

Neil McCauley
07-14-2006, 2:08 PM
Macgyver would probably use a US Henry Survival rifle.http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/henry_survivalsilver.jpg

NRAhighpowershooter
07-14-2006, 2:19 PM
MY SKS can crack an engine block.... it stayed at a Holiday In last night!!!

anotherted
07-14-2006, 2:55 PM
Macgyver would probably use a US Henry Survival rifle.http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/henry_survivalsilver.jpg

Now im all for banning that thing based on cosmetic features. :D

grammaton76
07-14-2006, 3:11 PM

C'mon man, this is probably the rifle Gunkid would've recommended. Although he probably would've been extra safe by smearing crap on it or something for camoflauge, and to ensure that people won't pay attention to it when it's folded up, because it smells like crap.

vonsmith
07-14-2006, 3:35 PM
You guys are nuts, absolutely nuts. I can't wait until the inmates take over the asylum. :eek: :confused: :) :( Whoops, sorry, mood swings again. Note to self: Must adjust medication.

=vonsmith=

xenophobe
07-14-2006, 3:42 PM

That would mean banning this one too. :p

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/1112/extendedleft8zo.jpg

rips31
07-14-2006, 4:18 PM
MY SKS can crack an engine block.... it stayed at a Holiday In last night!!!
holiday inn express. :D

Blue
07-14-2006, 4:34 PM
This one takes the CAKE. Never in many years watching TV, news, reading
on the net and on this board, ever, never, Ever... ever... ever seen this

"SKS strike the body then follow bone, so a bullet can "enter your shoulder and come out of your toe."

I got kicked out of my history class my sophomore year in highschool because I was arguing with my teacher over this. He said that the M16 shoots the bullet and it tumbles like a football that has been punted. He said the exact same thing about going into your shoulder and coming out of your toe. Must be what they teach the liberals in their underground studies. Same douche bag claimed he was a Vietnam vet but really was a mail carrier for the army in Japan during VN :rolleyes: He says just because he was in the army during Vietnam that makes him a Vietnam Vet. Gee my dad was in the Marines for 8 years during 'Nam and has never once claimed to be a Vietnam vet.

JPglee1
07-14-2006, 9:32 PM
I once walked up to a mountain and cut it down with edge of my hand. yeaowowowowaaa. Smell that purple haze thump in your ears with sweet-biterness.

Dude I was thinking the same thing. :D :p

Long live Jimi!

J

anotherted
07-14-2006, 9:55 PM
That would mean banning this one too. :p

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/1112/extendedleft8zo.jpg

Actually, i kinda like that thing.

Looks like sumptin' outa Road Warrior:eek:

xenophobe
07-14-2006, 10:08 PM
Just because someone pervertified the original with silvery sparklie barbie-inspired pop culture doesn't mean there wasn't once really cool ones made. lol

M. Sage
07-14-2006, 10:20 PM
Wow, a bullet that can blast through bone, but chooses instead to FOLLOW ALONG IT!? Amazing! We need to ban these ASAP.

K, nuff sarcasm.

That "cop" needs to lose his job for being so seriously under-educated about said occupation and opening his mouth to prove it.

Yes, an SKS will most likely go through a bullet proof vest, but so will just about any other rifle, including pistol-caliber carbines, according to that used armor site's ratings explaination. Also, even with steel-cored ammo (someone tell this idiot that mild-steel cores are NOT AP...), it's not gonig to punch a hole in an engine block, unless it's something like a Honda aluminum block.

I think I'm gonna have to write a couple of letters myself.

Edit: I sent an angry letter, too. Next letter I send (tomorrow, it's late) goes to NOPD about the idiot in their employ.

Enjoy.

Hello, I happened across your article when it was sent to me by a friend. He wanted to know what I thought about it, since I'm a fairly avid shooter, and a firearms history buff. Let's just say, my jaw is still on the floor.

Your quoted source shows himself to be quite lacking in knowledge, my next letter is to NOPD about that.

Let's get down to it (I'll be very specific. My main point will be at the beginning of each section.):

The SKS was a predecessor to the AK47, but not in any evolutionary sense. They share only one design element, and that's the ammunition they're designed to fire. The AK47's design is 100% different, and none of the parts for an AK series rifle will fit on an SKS, with the possible exception of the sling, and there is a kit to modify the SKS to accept the AK47's detachable magazines. The SKS fires from a non-detachable magazine (it requires tools to remove the mag.) The SKS was merely issued to Soviet troops before the AK47, and only about a year before, at that.

The round the SKS and AK47 are designed to fire, the 7.62mmx39mm M43, is neither "high powered" nor "armor piercing." These are USUALLY, but not always, steel-cored, with a surround of lead, then an outer jacket made, again, of steel. The steel core is blunt-nosed and mild-steel. True armor piercing (AP) bullets use a hardened steel or tungsten core, and the core is generally sharp-pointed (like the outside of the jacket is), not blunt, like the core in the vast majority of Communist-Bloc military ammunition, including M43. 7.62x39mm could punch a mostly-superficial hole in an engine block, but only through the water jacket. It certainly wouldn't go through into the cylinder of the block, and probably wouldn't be able to pierce the crank case area of the block (the oil pan, yes, crank case? No.)

On the "AP" M43: Yes, 7.62x39 will likely pierce a standard-issue police vest, but then so will anything with a rifled barrel that's longer than a pistol. Even carbines (short rifles, the SKS falls into this category) designed to fire handgun ammunition like 9mm or .45ACP fire those rounds at speeds that exceed the rating for the vast majority of vests designed to be worn under a uniform unless the vest is supplemented with a rifle plate, which, for comfort's sake, most patrol officers do not do. ANY center-fire rifle can be counted on to defeat a patrol officer's vest. All this is assuming they are using military surplus ammunition. There are many commercial varieties, none of which have a steel core, some of which are full-metal jacket, and many are soft-point - there is no jacket at the front of the bullet (the nose), exposing the lead for better expansion on impact.

Also, there is NO ammunition that can follow along a bone, entering at your shoulder and exiting your toe, unless the shooter is shooting straight down, through the victim's body. This myth has existed since the Vietnam war, when the M16 was introduced with ammunition designed to tumble on impact. It probably came to being after soldiers looking at dead enemy saw similar wounds, but didn't take into account that the enemy was lying down in a prone shooting position when they were hit.

The folding bayonet on the SKS is pretty much a non-issue. Without proper training, trying to use one on a person could very easily result in the user being disarmed, followed by his rifle being turned on him.

On the accuracy of the SKS; the SKS could be considered "accurate" compared against many .22 rimfire rifles. This is true of nearly any center-fire rifle, and many of the pistol-caliber carbines mentioned earlier. It could easily be considered accurate versus a pistol or even a shotgun. The accuracy of an SKS is typically about 2.5 Minutes of Angle (MOA), according to collectors I know who like this rifle. That equates to "able to hit within 2 1/2" of where you aim at 100 yards." This is not, in fact, terribly accurate among rifles, or even carbines. There auto-loading rifles that are capable of less than one MOA accuracy. 2.5 MOA is very very FAR from highly-accurate.

A (comparatively) minor mistake: Your article states that the courtyard was "littered with bullets." Bullets would be the projectile that travels to the target. What was littering the courtyard in question was what shooters call "brass," even though surplus ammunition for the SKS is often in steel cases.

If you have any questions about this, or need any more information on the above, I have several sources I can direct you to, and would be more than happy to do so. I hope you found this informative, and also hope that you can use it to help enlighten your readers and alleviate some of the unfounded fears being spread by irresponsible governmental agents.

Charliegone
07-14-2006, 11:48 PM
Some do tumble but not in sarcastic way the officer described it. They tumble at the trajectory they are heading...there aren't magic bullets.:rolleyes:

crzpete
07-14-2006, 11:57 PM
I got kicked out of my history class my sophomore year in highschool because I was arguing with my teacher over this. He said that the M16 shoots the bullet and it tumbles like a football that has been punted. He said the exact same thing about going into your shoulder and coming out of your toe. Must be what they teach the liberals in their underground studies. Same douche bag claimed he was a Vietnam vet but really was a mail carrier for the army in Japan during VN :rolleyes: He says just because he was in the army during Vietnam that makes him a Vietnam Vet. Gee my dad was in the Marines for 8 years during 'Nam and has never once claimed to be a Vietnam vet.

Did any soldier or any other person can actually say that this had ever happen? A bullet (any type) hitting some’s shoulder and exiting out thought the toes? Like a 50 cal bullet striking a soldier or any other person in a prone position and exiting out from the sole bottom of the boots! I am not saying is not possible but :confused:

Charliegone
07-15-2006, 12:52 AM
Here is a link to Martin Fackler's opinion...

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wbardwel/public/nfalist/fl_aw_report2.txt

safe to say...the article posted was a giant exageration...its amazing how the media AGAIN manages to screw this up.:rolleyes:

M. Sage
07-15-2006, 12:40 PM
Did any soldier or any other person can actually say that this had ever happen? A bullet (any type) hitting some’s shoulder and exiting out thought the toes? Like a 50 cal bullet striking a soldier or any other person in a prone position and exiting out from the sole bottom of the boots! I am not saying is not possible but :confused:

It's been proven a myth time and again (and the myth isn't even about 7.62x39!!). How it probably started was in Vietnam, when the US introduced the M16, and it's wonderous "tumbling bullets." In Vietnam, our troops were often shooting at enemy they couldn't see (and sometimes wasn't even there.) So you get troops with a new gun, with a bullet that's supposed to do things that the old ones didn't, they hose down some heavy brush where the enemy is firing from.

Lo and behold! They find dead enemies, some of them have entry wounds in their shoulder with an exit down by their foot! Amazing, the bullet must have radically changed direction right?

Nahh, they just couldn't see that the dead enemy was shooting from a prone position when they were hit.

Charliegone: The article quotes what seems to be a SWAT officer as the source of that misinformation.

The fact that cop not only spouted MYTHS to the press, but spouted myths that belong with a DIFFERENT RIFLE... man...

Today, I send a letter about that particular to the NOPD. This guy should know better.

AirborneStranger
07-15-2006, 1:07 PM
For a gun site, you guys are really clueless about the SKS. Let me break it down for you, the Russian space program is made possible by the SKS rifle. While the idiot Americans use solid boosters to launch shuttles into space, the Russians merely attach the shuttle to the grenade launcher of an SKS and then use its railgun accuracy to shoot it into space.

M. Sage
07-15-2006, 1:12 PM
For a gun site, you guys are really clueless about the SKS. Let me break it down for you, the Russian space program is made possible by the SKS rifle. While the idiot Americans use solid boosters to launch shuttles into space, the Russians merely attach the shuttle to the grenade launcher of an SKS and then use its railgun accuracy to shoot it into space.

ROFL! You had me going for a second there!

Thanks for a great laugh! :D

Charliegone
07-15-2006, 2:19 PM
It's been proven a myth time and again (and the myth isn't even about 7.62x39!!). How it probably started was in Vietnam, when the US introduced the M16, and it's wonderous "tumbling bullets." In Vietnam, our troops were often shooting at enemy they couldn't see (and sometimes wasn't even there.) So you get troops with a new gun, with a bullet that's supposed to do things that the old ones didn't, they hose down some heavy brush where the enemy is firing from.

Lo and behold! They find dead enemies, some of them have entry wounds in their shoulder with an exit down by their foot! Amazing, the bullet must have radically changed direction right?

Nahh, they just couldn't see that the dead enemy was shooting from a prone position when they were hit.

Charliegone: The article quotes what seems to be a SWAT officer as the source of that misinformation.

The fact that cop not only spouted MYTHS to the press, but spouted myths that belong with a DIFFERENT RIFLE... man...

Today, I send a letter about that particular to the NOPD. This guy should know better.

Yeah I know..but where is the fact checking? I blame the media just as much as the person spewing the lies.

M. Sage
07-15-2006, 2:39 PM
Most people don't assume you have to double check the facts in a situation like this. He's a SWAT cop, he must know about guns, right?

Hell, I'd have assumed the same until seeing this crap.

Evil Gun
07-15-2006, 7:59 PM
that can blast through engine blocks as easily as it can bones

Really??..said the Easter Bunny as he was beotch-slapping the Tooth Fairie for holding out on him.