PDA

View Full Version : i have an idea, its kind of kyberpass but make an m44 out of 91/30

Haggar85
12-10-2010, 6:40 PM
Be for any one wets their pants, im not chopping a barrel or any thing along those lines.
So i bought a 91/30 two years ago that has a bad barrel.its warped and horribly inaccurate and painful to use. i have 5 mosins so im familuar with mosin recoil, this is a mule one steroids.
I have an m44 with a sloppy receiver, the barrel is pretty good. the receiver has been refurbed twice and its ending it life cycle. it still works but i am just getting a little sketchy feeling about it.
So would it be feasible to take these two to a gun smith and have him make me a hex m44 out of these two rifles? other wise ill just take them to the turn in and get a target gift card.

CSACANNONEER
12-10-2010, 7:02 PM
It should work just fine. But, is it worth the money? All it is is a standard barrel replacement including headspacing.

easy
12-10-2010, 7:08 PM
They have something like that already, 91/59. Just no folding bayonet.

Flyin Brian
12-10-2010, 7:15 PM
I've been looking for a hex receiver to use for a secret project. Hopefully it doesn't have the huge billboard import mark on the side.

How about a starbucks gift card? I think there's enough for 2 flappachino's on it :)

Datamancer
12-10-2010, 11:50 PM
You could also get yourself a barrel vise and a mosin wrench and try swapping them yourself. Probably cheaper than a gunsmith, and at the end you have the rifle you want AND new tools!

Here's what you do....mount the barrel in the vise, then put the wrench on the receiver, then a pipe on the end of the wrench, then a larger pipe on that pipe, then a long wooden pole in the end of that pipe. When you have about 15 feet of leverage, hang a truck off the end of the pole. The barrel should break free on your 5th or 6th try.

Just kidding, it's not that hard, but you really do need a f*ck-ton of torque to crack them the first time. After getting them off, cleaning and lubing them, the next time you need to take the barrel off will be a lot easier (provided that the barrel isn't on there for ANOTHER 75 years, that is)

-~D~-

Haggar85
12-11-2010, 10:56 AM
i thinking i might have a gunsmith check out the receiver i want to put on the m44 barrel on. Kari Prager (god rest his soul.) was taking to me about it and said that it might be worth it to check and see if the receiver is still to spec after shooting it with the damaged barrel. might be better safe than sorry.
i used to own a tula hex m44 but i sold it a few years ago....and i regret it.