PDA

View Full Version : Interstate PPT of C&R long gun?

thoughtbuilds
12-10-2010, 3:14 PM
I'm thinking of buying a russian sks using my C&R license. My questions are... What information do I need to obtain from the private party and what information do I need to give. I have read that for an FFL transactions I must provide a copy of my license, is the same true for private parties? Do I need a copy of the seller drivers license or another form of identification? what information do I need to log into my bound book? Sorry for asking so many questions but I have not received my rule book yet, just the license.

Thanks
Nick

JAGGUY
12-10-2010, 3:28 PM
Just send a signed copy of your 03, your shipping address (should be the same as your 03) and payment. then wait for delivery!

Yes, get a copy of their DL for your records

thoughtbuilds
12-10-2010, 3:48 PM
Thanks! Now all I need to do is find one in the right condition for the right price.

Roccobro
12-10-2010, 4:46 PM
Just send a signed copy of your 03, your shipping address (should be the same as your 03) and payment. then wait for delivery!

Yes, get a copy of their DL for your records

I've never asked or given my DL for PPT C&R's. Did the law change recently?

Do FFL01's now send their DL's or business permits every time they send their signed copy? Mine never have. And I've witnessed him sealing my payment envelopes after stuffing his signed copy in MANY times even recently.

Justin

Flyin Brian
12-10-2010, 4:59 PM
I've never asked or given my DL for PPT C&R's. Did the law change recently?

Do FFL01's now send their DL's or business permits every time they send their signed copy? Mine never have. And I've witnessed him sealing my payment envelopes after stuffing his signed copy in MANY times even recently.

Justin

It's not really what everyone refers to as a "Private Party Transfer" if the rifle is being shipped, but regardless of that, since the Buyer has an 03FFL he must record *some* kind of official information in his bound book about who he acquired the firearm from. If the Seller has an 01 or 03 FFL, then a signed photo copy of their FFL will suffice, otherwise if they are unlicensed, you should get a copy of their DL or at a minimum their name and address.

I've purchased rifles from Vendors like Dennis at Empire Arms and I just write down the company name and address... I've never asked for a copy of his DL.

thoughtbuilds
12-10-2010, 6:21 PM
Perhaps private party transfer was not the correct phrase. But since it is a private party and they are transferring to me I could not think of a better way to describe it. My concern is mostly following the law as it pertains to my c&r but an additional concern I have is the trustworthiness of the prospective seller. Given that I have no way of knowing the history of the rifle or How it was obtained I fear receiving stolen merchandise and having no information on the seller. I think it would be safer and smarter to get as much info as possible. That being said...... would you send a copy of You DL to a complete stranger?????

Flyin Brian
12-10-2010, 6:57 PM
You'll get a major headache reading the book that comes with the C&R ;)

I have had people send me their DL with the picture and address blocked out... I guess it makes sense to do that.

Mssr. Eleganté
12-10-2010, 9:39 PM
I've never asked for or received a copy of a private seller's ID. They gave me their name and address so that I could send them a money order for payment. That's the name and address I put down in my bound book. I assume it was a correct name and address or they wouldn't receive or be able to cash the money order I sent. :p

I've had to pass on some nice deals at the Big Reno Show because a private seller didn't want to give me his name and address for my bound book. With one guy I had to place the stack of $20 bills in front of him before he caved in and gave me his business card.

thoughtbuilds
12-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Have any of the above posters who have taken just name and address without verification been audited by the ATF? Were there any complications?

ke6guj
12-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Perhaps private party transfer was not the correct phrase. But since it is a private party and they are transferring to me I could not think of a better way to describe it.

unfortunately, there is a legal term, "Private Party Transfer" that means a specific thing per CA law, and there is what many people think of as a Private Party Transfer (any transfer between 2 non-dealers), so there is often confusion.

JAGGUY
12-11-2010, 2:48 PM
Never had a problem getting a copy of their DL for ID from an out of State seller. I ask, I receive....