PDA

View Full Version : new license and tags?

rooster85
12-10-2010, 3:58 PM
hey guys, my friends just got their hunting licenses and pig tags for our hunt next month and they look like receipt paper? did the dfg come out with a new look for these? i thought they were just receipts and they may have the wrong stuff? ive never in all my years seen tags and or a license like those. ideas?

norcal01
12-10-2010, 4:10 PM
I believe Fish and Game is switching over to a new system where your license, tags, stamps, etc. will all be printed on one piece of paper. It does look like a reciept, I got my duck stamp late and ended up with one. I'm sure someone will come along who knows more about it than I do but from what you describe it sounds like your friends have everything they need, it just looks different now.

joodaman
12-10-2010, 4:50 PM
some places are using that new system. i think theyre testing it out at big 5s, and possibly some other places. its waterproof and tear resistant paper i think.

kinda the same thing if you've ever ordered your fishing license online.

thukidad
12-10-2010, 6:34 PM
i believe they're starting a new automated system.. pretty soon, you can go in and swipe your debit/credit card and bamn.. new tag.. so they ladies at dfg in sac told me

trautert
12-10-2010, 6:57 PM
Yup, new Automated Licensing System coming on line statewide soon.

wjc
12-10-2010, 9:13 PM
yup, not sure I'm gonna like it when I have to get new licenses.

NytWolf
12-10-2010, 9:54 PM
The other states have been doing it for years. They welcome CA on board. :D

HoMa506
12-11-2010, 1:21 AM
Here's how it works at Big 5. The first time since we're all going to be new to the system they'll swipe your Driver's License and look at your old Hunting License to confirm you have one. When I got my Hunting License I got an Upland Game Valdiation with mine (if you're a collector of stamps that's a thing of the past). It's itemized and printed on the license. If you decided to add something else at a later time all you have to do is give them your old license and they will print you a new license with the added validations.

I went back for a Wild Pig Tag. All they did was swipe my Driver's License and punched a few buttons on the screen and the machine spit out the tag with all my info on it.

Can't tell you how a Federal Waterfol "stamp" works with the new system.

A plus for the new system is you'll never hear "We're out of that stamp or tag, why don't you try..." anymore. When I go back next year for my Hunting License I won't even have to show them my old one, all they do is swipe your driver's license again and your new license will spit out of the machine. No little lines to fill in and try to squeeze all your info in anymore, just remember to SIGN YOUR NAME or else it's not valid.

edwardm
12-11-2010, 3:46 AM
Interesting. I don't recall having a driver's license or a California ID being a prerequisite to having a California hunting license.

http://dfg.ca.gov/licensing/hunting/huntingfaqs.html#GLQ

Looks like I don't have a driver's license (that I'm going to let them scan).

lewdogg21
12-11-2010, 6:29 AM
Automated is kick ***. Oregon has done it for years and it's so nice and quick.

tenpercentfirearms
12-11-2010, 7:58 AM
Search is your friend! http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=366791&highlight=als ;)

Seriously, this new system is going to be heads and tails better than the old system. As was already mentioned the number one thing that makes it awesome is I will never run out of licenses or tags ever again. Unless I run out of the paper, which I just got like 5 boxes in the other day!

Also, in the other thread I mentioned I would test the paper. I took a customer's receipt and put it on the dash of my truck a couple weeks ago. I will have to take a look at it again when I get home.

HoMa506
12-11-2010, 11:23 AM
[QUOTE=edwardm;5429862]Interesting. I don't recall having a driver's license or a California ID being a prerequisite to having a California hunting license.QUOTE]

It's not a prerequisite to have a DL it's just that a swipe was all it took and the top half of the hunting license has all your information from the drivers license so no need to fill anything in anymore.

In the past all we had to do to get a new hunting license was show them the old one. There is a line on the new style license for Evidence of Hunter Education which mine says Previous CA Hunting License 2009 xxx xxxxx.

There is also a line State ID: (has part of my DL # and the xxxx).
I didn't ask what if I don't have a DL or ID card but I guess they could fill the info in if you didn't have some sort of documented ID. Maybe somebody here who sells them can answer that one.

rooster85
12-11-2010, 2:46 PM
thanks for the information guys. maybe this new system will work for this state. it looks like a lot of paper to be carrying in my opinion but i guess ill find out next year. thanks again.

tenpercentfirearms
12-11-2010, 5:23 PM
thanks for the information guys. maybe this new system will work for this state. it looks like a lot of paper to be carrying in my opinion but i guess ill find out next year. thanks again.

Not really. The size of the print out for license and a bird stamp didn't seem any larger than existing licenses. Second, I would take some scissors to any extra paper that doesn't have any DFG info on it.

Now I don't know how deer tags are going to be handled. That will be interesting.

Also you can get bobcat tags from me now too!

jtv3062
12-11-2010, 5:47 PM
The Big 5 I went to told me that you can request the stamp at the end of the year

Here's how it works at Big 5. The first time since we're all going to be new to the system they'll swipe your Driver's License and look at your old Hunting License to confirm you have one. When I got my Hunting License I got an Upland Game Valdiation with mine (if you're a collector of stamps that's a thing of the past). It's itemized and printed on the license. If you decided to add something else at a later time all you have to do is give them your old license and they will print you a new license with the added validations.

I went back for a Wild Pig Tag. All they did was swipe my Driver's License and punched a few buttons on the screen and the machine spit out the tag with all my info on it.

Can't tell you how a Federal Waterfol "stamp" works with the new system.

A plus for the new system is you'll never hear "We're out of that stamp or tag, why don't you try..." anymore. When I go back next year for my Hunting License I won't even have to show them my old one, all they do is swipe your driver's license again and your new license will spit out of the machine. No little lines to fill in and try to squeeze all your info in anymore, just remember to SIGN YOUR NAME or else it's not valid.

stphnman20
12-11-2010, 5:49 PM
Got mine at Walmart. It's a receipt type thing. It's my first so I don't know how the old ones look like. All they did was slide my DL on the system and everything popped up.

trautert
12-11-2010, 5:50 PM
Not sure if this is the fault of the new system, but just yesterday I got a letter from DFG telling me that in order to get my new fishing license (which should have come in the mail last week as I have a lifetime Sportsmen's License) telling me that I now need to go online each year to request my replacement lifetime license as part of some new program. Ahhhh, progress.

mzimmers
12-13-2010, 3:35 PM
Interesting. I don't recall having a driver's license or a California ID being a prerequisite to having a California hunting license.

http://dfg.ca.gov/licensing/hunting/huntingfaqs.html#GLQ

Looks like I don't have a driver's license (that I'm going to let them scan).

So you're prepared to let them charge you the non-resident fees?

edwardm
12-13-2010, 3:49 PM
Like I said, I'm unaware that possession of a driver's license is a prerequisite to obtaining a hunting license (or a fishing license for that matter). Proving residence is easily accomplished without a CA ID or DL.

So you're prepared to let them charge you the non-resident fees?

mzimmers
12-13-2010, 4:03 PM
Like I said, I'm unaware that possession of a driver's license is a prerequisite to obtaining a hunting license (or a fishing license for that matter). Proving residence is easily accomplished without a CA ID or DL.

I suppose it boils down to what the DFG accepts as "proof." I don't think they'd go for a PG&E bill, nor a passport that wasn't issued very recently. But this is only conjecture on my part; I have no idea what they'll accept.

edwardm
12-14-2010, 2:33 PM
It seems this nonsense is related to the State Licensing Match System, which in turn is used for child support/deadbeat dad tracking.

At least I'm pretty certain of this, as the primary goal of this BigBrother bullsh*t is to comply with SLMS, and the only references to SLMS I can find all point back to Federal child support mandates under 42 USC 654.

This is going to be fun.

I suppose it boils down to what the DFG accepts as "proof." I don't think they'd go for a PG&E bill, nor a passport that wasn't issued very recently. But this is only conjecture on my part; I have no idea what they'll accept.

Paper Boy
12-14-2010, 3:32 PM
Automated is kick ***. Oregon has done it for years and it's so nice and quick.

Love it there, walk in hand the guy my cash he hits print and on with my day.

edwardm
12-15-2010, 5:43 PM
Follow-up from the LRB.

The authority for verifying identification for licenses purchased
through the Automated License Data Systemis is in Section §700.4(b),
Title 14, of the California Code of Regulations
http://government.westlaw.com/linkedslice/search/default.asp?tempinfo=find&RS=GVT1.0&VR=2.0&SP=CCR-1000
and are as follows:

(b) Any applicant applying for any license, tag, permit, reservation or
other entitlement issued via the ALDS shall provide valid
identification. Acceptable forms of identification include:
(1) any license document or identification number previously issued via
ALDS
(2) a valid driver's license or identification card issued to him or
her by the Department of Motor Vehicles or by the entity issuing
driver's licenses from the licensee's state of domicile
(3)US Birth Certificate
(4) US Certificate or Report of Birth Abroad
(5)INS American Indian Card
(6)Birth Certificate or passport issued from a US Territory
(7)US Passport
(8)US Military Identification Cards (Active or reserve duty, dependent,
retired member, discharged from service, medical/religious personnel)
(9)Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship.
(c) Any applicant less than 18 years of age applying for any license,
tag, permit, reservation or other entitlement issued via the ALDS shall
provide valid identification. Acceptable forms of identification
include:
(1)Any form of identification described above; or
(2) A parent or legal guardian’s identification as described above.

Drivers license and DMV ID cards are swiped and identification numbers
keyed and both are returned to you immediately during the transaction,
much like a credit card.

So apparently only CA ID/DL is swiped. I think I'll try it with my passport, just because I'm curious to see how it'll work out.

sequoia_nomad
12-15-2010, 6:04 PM
I'm glad the bankrupt state of California is able to apply their limited funds and resources to such pressing issues.

edwardm
12-15-2010, 9:55 PM
From reading up on the new system, it looks like some or all of the system was covered by Federal funds. It was basically a conditional spending grant to enhance child support tracking, from what I can tell. And no, I'm not kidding.

I'm glad the bankrupt state of California is able to apply their limited funds and resources to such pressing issues.