PDA

View Full Version : 91/30 laminated internal stock crack

HskrVern
12-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Should I be worried about this crack or is it ok to ignore? Its cracked/delaminated forward of the trigger slot to the front of the tang screw slot. I'm a bit concerned about it but if I have to go to boyds to restock it i will because I love the way it shoots.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/kidsnfids/IMG00059-20101210-1001.jpg

CEDaytonaRydr
12-10-2010, 11:09 AM
I wouldn't worry about that.

It's between the trigger and the magazine, right? I think that "Yuri" at the Tula arsenal didn't sand out enough wood to make way for the magazine. The load of the recoil is supported by the screws, wood and metal behind the trigger and in front of the magazine.

Shouldn't be a problem...

timdps
12-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Common for laminated stocks. Additional cross bolt through the wrist is the Russian solution. You will often see laminated stock refurbed SKSs with extra cross bolts in the wrist as well as RC k98s the same way for this reason.

For a Mosin Nagant I would probably just replace the laminated stock with a solid wood stock from another rifle.

tim

Fate
12-10-2010, 11:21 AM
C.A. glue (@ hobby store) will fix that crack, remain invisible and be stronger than the surrounding wood. Fairly common "fixit" issue in milsurp rifles.

Milsurp Collector
12-10-2010, 11:24 AM
This shows a repair for a crack in the same area on a laminated K98k stock, but the procedure is the same http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=663408#p663408

HskrVern
12-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the replies yall. I was thinking it wasn't a huge deal, just wanted to double check that my favorite shooter is still good to go.

Fate
12-10-2010, 1:26 PM
This shows a repair for a crack in the same area on a laminated K98k stock, but the procedure is the same http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=663408#p663408

Holy cow, that's overkill and drastically affects value of stock. Use the CA glue for pete's sake!

Caribouriver
12-10-2010, 1:50 PM
I have fixed (or I think I fixed!) cracks similar to that by gently prying the crack open a little bit (1/32" should be enough), rubbing regular Tight Bond II glue deep into the wound with a fingertip, clamping it together and cleaning up the squeeze out with a damp rag or Q-tips.

Milsurp Collector
12-10-2010, 2:09 PM
Holy cow, that's overkill and drastically affects value of stock. Use the CA glue for pete's sake!

I think the reason Candyman recommends that in a shooter is because the recoil force will reopen the crack if the repair isn't strong. If it is a collector grade rifle I wouldn't do it but the original poster's rifle is his favorite shooter Mosin.

An alternative would be to put aside the laminated stock and get a replacement stock to shoot with so the laminated stock isn't damaged further.

Interloper
12-10-2010, 3:20 PM
I don't think that's a recoil bearing surface. I would leave it, if I were you.

emcon5
12-10-2010, 3:51 PM

I am pretty happy with how that turned out.

In my case, it is a beat-schidt Russian capture, not all that concerned about value.

Fate
12-11-2010, 11:48 AM
I think the reason Candyman recommends that in a shooter is because the recoil force will reopen the crack if the repair isn't strong.

CA glue is stronger than the laminated wood. Recoil force won't reopen that crack if CA glue is used.

Furthermore, the recoil lug is where all recoil force is (or should be) imparted to the stock. Any Mosin stock that is not inletted properly to eliminate contact outside of the recoil lug notch is susceptible to cracking.

Milsurp Collector
12-11-2010, 12:43 PM
CA glue is stronger than the laminated wood. Recoil force won't reopen that crack if CA glue is used.

Furthermore, the recoil lug is where all recoil force is (or should be) imparted to the stock. Any Mosin stock that is not inletted properly to eliminate contact outside of the recoil lug notch is susceptible to cracking.

Thank you, I am well aware of the capabilities of cyanoacrylayte glue for crack repair and have used it and recommended it (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=4755390&postcount=9) many times. I am also aware that it is not perfect and have seen cracks repaired with CA reopen. I suspect Candyman has seen the same thing happen in laminated stocks cracked/delaminated in that area, and that's why he recommends the stronger repair method for that specific problem.

The original poster stated that the crack extended from the rear action screw hole forward. I suspect that the crack propagated from the rebound of that screw after recoil. The recoil lug provides no help in that case.

TRAP55
12-11-2010, 10:28 PM
I've used the same method candyman uses for over 30 years now, only with bedding compound. It's cheap insurance that it won't open up again, especially on laminated stocks.
Like Fate said, the problem that caused the crack has to be addressed too. I've run across a lot of cracked Mauser stocks with the tang screw ferrule, or "pillar" missing.
As far as value goes, I would rather have a properly bedded pillar and recoil lug, that isn't visible, than a cracked stock.

Fate
12-12-2010, 10:11 AM
The original poster stated that the crack extended from the rear action screw hole forward. I suspect that the crack propagated from the rebound of that screw after recoil. The recoil lug provides no help in that case.

Then the recoil lug must be shimmed to eliminate contact of the stock and action screws. The Finns were masters at this.