PDA

View Full Version : 10-22 No Butts About It

DirtNapKing
12-10-2010, 8:47 AM
What year did plastic butt plates start showing up on standard 10-22 wood stocks?

swifty
12-10-2010, 7:48 PM
1978 I believe.

DirtNapKing
12-10-2010, 8:05 PM
Just by what I own and general experience I was guessing 1980. Thanks for the input Swifty!

chad68
12-11-2010, 6:32 PM
Have no idea but the one I bought in mid 1990's was plastic.

scootergmc
12-11-2010, 8:14 PM
The answer is (approximately) 1976. That's when the transition from aluminum to plastic was made.

DirtNapKing
12-11-2010, 10:14 PM
If Ruger doesn't knock it off the whole gun will be plastic in 20 years or less. :D

G-forceJunkie
12-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Anyone know when the plastic trigger assemblies started?

DirtNapKing
12-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Anyone know when the plastic trigger assemblies started?
2008! Absolute junk! I hope Ruger goes back to metal.

-hanko
12-12-2010, 9:09 AM
The answer is (approximately) 1976. That's when the transition from aluminum to plastic was made.
200th year anniversary guns still used metal butt plates.

-hanko

scootergmc
12-12-2010, 10:18 AM
200th year anniversary guns still used metal butt plates.

-hanko

Not all of them. That's why I said the transition was made in 1976.

OHW
12-12-2010, 11:47 AM
2008! Absolute junk! I hope Ruger goes back to metal.

So the $200 factory gun trigger has a little slop and overpull. What do you expect, a $500 CZ bolt action quality.
No complaints after a little DIY work. No after market parts at all. It gets compliments all the time for other shooters. Someday I need to try one of them there metal housed units.:rolleyes:

DirtNapKing
12-12-2010, 12:13 PM
So the $200 factory gun trigger has a little slop and overpull. What do you expect, a $500 CZ bolt action quality.
No complaints after a little DIY work. No after market parts at all. It gets compliments all the time for other shooters. Someday I need to try one of them there metal housed units.:rolleyes:
I would love to hear the compliments you have shagged. What do they say? "Nice Plastic" :rolleyes: Ruger's attempt at re inventing the wheel and cutting production costs. Put tons of metal groups together and that's what I prefer. Hmmm, metal shims and plastic let me know how that works out after they cut into the plastic and your slop rears it's ugly head again. :D Who knows what your course of DIY work was. I'm just guessing since you want compare apples to oranges and roll your eyes. Further more I know what to expect from a $200 dollar gun and that's why it doesn't stay $200 for very long. If you like tuning up your Tupperware guns, by all means knock yourself out.

OHW
12-12-2010, 8:24 PM
I would love to hear the compliments you have shagged. What do they say? "Nice Plastic" :rolleyes: Ruger's attempt at re inventing the wheel and cutting production costs. Put tons of metal groups together and that's what I prefer. Hmmm, metal shims and plastic let me know how that works out after they cut into the plastic and your slop rears it's ugly head again. :D Who knows what your course of DIY work was. I'm just guessing since you want compare apples to oranges and roll your eyes. Further more I know what to expect from a $200 dollar gun and that's why it doesn't stay $200 for very long. If you like tuning up your Tupperware guns, by all means knock yourself out.

Lets look at Glocks triggersd that are all plastic and perform flawlessly for millions of users after billions of triggerpulls without wearing out. Seems a few steel shims with little to no side force or rotation against plastic whilest lubricated should last my grandchildrens grandchildrens lifetime.
Complimenters never even said " Wow all that crispness from a plastic housing , who would guess it to be true? Hmmmm?
Just how good is your 2007 or older stock 10/22 trigger? I bet it is shatty unless you had a competent gunsmith work it for you.

jyo
12-12-2010, 9:32 PM
Ya know, my personal 10-22s are both old---my Deluxe Sporter is a pre-warning rifle, while my stainless Volquartsen conversion dates back to the very early 90s---both shoot quite well and I will keep them as long as I am alive. Now having said that, my brother and a friend recently bought new production stainless 10-22s on my recommendation---both rifles have the plastic trigger groups and you know what---both run 100%! I can't understand all the noise I hear about plastic parts and then people buy Glocks, HKs, S&W M&Ps etc. and they all have poly frames! Prices have to be kept down and this is one of the ways to do it---or just look for and buy used on Calguns!

rodeoflyer
12-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Thank you for this thread!

I bought my 10-22 used and this prompted me to look up it's production year.

Mine's a 1982, and has a plastic butt plate.

DirtNapKing
12-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Lets look at Glocks triggersd that are all plastic and perform flawlessly for millions of users after billions of triggerpulls without wearing out. Seems a few steel shims with little to no side force or rotation against plastic whilest lubricated should last my grandchildrens grandchildrens lifetime.
Complimenters never even said " Wow all that crispness from a plastic housing , who would guess it to be true? Hmmmm?
Just how good is your 2007 or older stock 10/22 trigger? I bet it is shatty unless you had a competent gunsmith work it for you.Heres a 10-22 I just built for a customer. Gun according to serial number is circa 1991. Damn, metal trigger housing present! Trigger housing, receiver, scope base, and barrel were all oxide blasted and finished in black bake on teflon/moly. I will spare you the rest of the specs cause I am done whizzing up a tree with somebody who wants to compare Rugers to Glocks. Oh yeah and if you still want to accuse me off being a shatty gunsmith please by all means go right ahead, you won't hurt my feelings a bit. Now let's see what you are workin with OHW. Post your plastic princess for all of Cal Guns to witness. I double dog dare ya. :D Just in case the attached photos don't post here is a link to veiw the 10-22 I speak of. http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/579076489INJhPN?vhost=outdoors&start=0

OHW
12-13-2010, 5:43 PM
Heres a 10-22 I just built for a customer. Gun according to serial number is circa 1991. Damn, metal trigger housing present! Trigger housing, receiver, scope base, and barrel were all oxide blasted and finished in black bake on teflon/moly. I will spare you the rest of the specs cause I am done whizzing up a tree with somebody who wants to compare Rugers to Glocks. Oh yeah and if you still want to accuse me off being a shatty gunsmith please by all means go right ahead, you won't hurt my feelings a bit. Now let's see what you are workin with OHW. Post your plastic princess for all of Cal Guns to witness. I double dog dare ya. :D Just in case the attached photos don't post here is a link to veiw the 10-22 I speak of. http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/579076489INJhPN?vhost=outdoors&start=0

Mine is a stock appearing model. Barrel band and all.Seen one seen em all. Can't see the accuglass. Heck, your nice trigger one there probally looked just like it $400 dollars and dozens of after market parts ago.

DirtNapKing
12-13-2010, 6:13 PM
Mine is a stock appearing model. Barrel band and all.Seen one seen em all. Can't see the accuglass. Heck, your nice trigger one there probally looked just like it $400 dollars and dozens of after market parts ago.Seen one seen them all, kind of like a 32 roadster. The cheap guys bag on steel cars all day long. The purists bag on the glass cars all day long. :D From the scope base up alone you are looking at about $700. The J Point micro works and is for clay rabbits, short range game, and other targets. The scope is for bench and long range varmint. This was not built to be a typical 10-22 candy striper, neon glow stick. It's a work horse not an occasional out of the closet plinker.

DirtNapKing
12-13-2010, 6:43 PM
The good news out of all this is Empire makes the metal trigger housing and if Clark keeps them in stock they run about $25. But I will exhaust all options to purchase a used pre plastic 10-22 in order to keep the cost down for people who want to build one on a budget. Usually I have been able to pick up a standard pre 2008 10-22 for under $140. Why would I spend over $200 for a new one when it's going to be stripped down to the bone?