PDA

View Full Version : Question for network guru's re: Yahoo IM

high_revs
12-10-2010, 8:34 AM
So we use office communicator at work, but that instant messaging tool doesn't have a way to only show you online to select people. meaning, you're open to the whole world in our company. Problem is, we get a lot of knocks on the door that are very interruptive to a point even our management don't log-in at time. So in our team, we use Yahoo IM so we can hide on official tool and still connect for work if we need to (just our team).

Problem I noticed is that when you freshly boot up, yahoo cannot connect. wait an hour or two, suddenly it can. I've done nothing at this point other than just do my usual biz.

I've run ipconfig /flushdns, ipconfig /registerdns, ipconfig /renew to see if that would fix it. Oddly, if I put the laptop to sleep when i leave home instead of shut down, I can connect to yahoo IM instantly about half the time. But if I reboot, there's some latency in there I can't figure out. We are behind a firewall of course, and have to use a proxy server. I already disable the wifi card to ensure I only have 1 network connection going to see if that might be an issue (but proven not to be when I forget)

using windows 7 enterprise, and yahoo IM 10.0.0.128. can't seem to get the newest version working at all at work so using an older version.

Oddly, I also use msn IM and that connects instantly. all using same settings (msn and yahoo) on my internet options - lan settings. It connects instantly whether from sleep or shut down. (hibernation doesn't work right now due to symantech endpoint issues).

sevensix2x51
12-10-2010, 8:46 AM
Im not an internet guru, and I abhor yahoo, but have you tried google talk? If the team is small, it would seem that the simple solution is to swap chat programs...

Ricky-Ray
12-10-2010, 12:26 PM
I could be the firewall that your company is using.

xrMike
12-10-2010, 12:41 PM
So we use office communicator at work, but that instant messaging tool doesn't have a way to only show you online to select people. meaning, you're open to the whole world in our company. Problem is, we get a lot of knocks on the door that are very interruptive to a point even our management don't log-in at time. So in our team, we use Yahoo IM so we can hide on official tool and still connect for work if we need to (just our team).So you're allowed to just go "Offline" in OC when you don't want to be bothered?

Must be nice; wish I could get away with that! :D

sfwdiy
12-10-2010, 2:19 PM
We use Skype. It's very adept at circumventing firewalls and it's encrypted. The only difficulty with it is that because it's so hard to pin down it makes it impossible to shape it's traffic.

--B

high_revs
12-10-2010, 6:19 PM
So you're allowed to just go "Offline" in OC when you don't want to be bothered?

Must be nice; wish I could get away with that! :D

haha Mike! I still have to meet up with you one of these days. Keep forgetting. Maybe you'll be in Palo Alto soon with what's going on Cupertino site. ;)

yeah, i log off. We get interrupted all the time and as you kind of insinuate, the stupid IM tool becomes an attendance tracker! sigh... We complained already to mgmt about this behavior evolution on how instant message is viewed. I mean, it's not a "mandatory" thing to be online all the time if you ever complain to HR> There's no company policy on it. LOL :D

It is just really strange. Wait an hr and suddenly, you can log in. No changes at all to my network settings, other assets, or even moving from one desk to another (ironing out my network plug is bad). I wonder if there's some kind of port sensing/sniffing or something in the network.

Satex
12-10-2010, 8:08 PM
Problem I noticed is that when you freshly boot up, yahoo cannot connect. wait an hour or two, suddenly it can. I've done nothing at this point other than just do my usual biz.

I think I have seen that before. I think what's going on is that your computer boots up, but the network interface lags behind. Yahoo Messenger ends up starting before the network interface is fully configured and therefore it tries to be nice, it goes to sleep, and then periodically tests to see if the network interface is up and running.

JDay
12-10-2010, 9:36 PM
This is a common issue with Yahoo! Messenger, just switch to something else.