PDA

View Full Version : Mosin Nagant question.

ohlone
12-09-2010, 9:15 PM
a friend got a Mosin Nagant from big 5 and a Mosin M44 from a private via cash+carry, does he need to get a gunsmith to check them before bring to range and shoot? is it safe to shoot w/o checking them?
both rifles seem to be functional well......

thanks

Interloper
12-09-2010, 9:41 PM
The discriminating Mosin collector should headspace his rifles and carbines. Never actually heard of one that failed headspace, though.
Clean the chamber, especially the locking lug recesses of cosmo and check the bore for obstructions. Should be GTG.

16in50calNavalRifle
12-09-2010, 9:43 PM
The Big 5 rifle came from Century International, which checks them for safety, so that one should be OK. However ..... the consequences of a malfunctioning rifle are serious enough that playing it safe always makes sense. In this case that would mean picking up a headspace gauge - to double-check the Big 5 one and check the M44.

One source is Okie Gauges (okiegauges.com) - one-man show, nice guy. He agrees that you really only need one type of gauge (there are three) for an unmodified milsurp rifle in good condition - the "no go" gauge. There are other sources and other brands of gauges (Brownells has several).

My understanding (which may be wrong - others here may correct me) is that dangerous headspace problems in Mosins are extremely rare. But a gauge doesn't cost much, and can be used forever - and will eliminate any chance of a problem.

Milsurp Collector
12-09-2010, 9:54 PM
One source is Okie Gauges (okiegauges.com) - one-man show, nice guy. He agrees that you really only need one type of gauge (there are three) for an unmodified milsurp rifle in good condition - the "no go" gauge.

I disagree with that. If you are going to have only one gauge it should be a FIELD gauge. If it fails the NO GO gauge test that doesn't tell you the rifle is unsafe to fire. It might be or it might not be. If it passes the FIELD gauge it is safe to fire. If it fails the FIELD gauge it isn't.

SoCal Bob
12-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Did your friend also get one or more of the Mosin tools? Making sure the firing pin is adjusted correctly could be the difference between a fun day and a frustrating day.

rimfired
12-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Ohlone, eventhough these are 60+ year old milsurps they were very well made, durable rifles. I recommend doing heavy research on how to field strip your rifle and how to do the initial cosmoline removal process. There are many Youtube videos out there that offer great information on this. This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9byqFz3p04) is a great video I keep in my web browsers favorites, I suggest you watch it and keep it saved as well. Pay attention to the part about checking the firing pin protrusion length, that's VERY important.

7.62x54r.net (http://7.62x54r.net/) is also a great resource to learn about your rifle, enjoy. I just picked up my first Mosin 91/30 2 days ago and I'm loving it! My ammo is in the mail, and I can't wait to take it out for the first time.

Interloper
12-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Did your friend also get one or more of the Mosin tools? Making sure the firing pin is adjusted correctly could be the difference between a fun day and a frustrating day.

Oh yeah good call Bob. Firing pin protrusion. Very important.

AIMSMALL
12-09-2010, 11:02 PM
I disagree with that. If you are going to have only one gauge it should be a FIELD gauge. If it fails the NO GO gauge test that doesn't tell you the rifle is unsafe to fire. It might be or it might not be. If it passes the FIELD gauge it is safe to fire. If it fails the FIELD gauge it isn't.

This is correct, the field gauge is the largest of the three and if the bolt won't close on it the gun is still safe to fire even if it does close on a no-go gauge.

The go gauge is really for setting up a virgin barrel because it will only tell you that the headspace is too small (bolt doesn't close) which isn't a wear problem it's an original setup problem.

Hope this helps. :)