PDA

View Full Version : Support the Vitter Amendment - Stop the Forcible Confiscation of Firearms

mikehaas
07-12-2006, 6:09 PM
http://calnra.com/caspecial/vitter060712.shtml

Support The Vitter Amendment
Stop the Forcible Confiscation of Firearms from Law-Abiding Americans
July 12, 2006
----------
During Senate consideration of the Homeland Security appropriations bill (H.R. 5441), Senator David Vitter will offer an amendment (# 4551) to prohibit the use of funds appropriated under this bill for the confiscation of lawfully possessed firearms during an emergency or major disaster.

After Hurricane Katrina, many residents legally armed themselves to protect their lives and property from widespread civil disorder. With no way to call for help, and police unable to respond, honest citizens were able to defend themselves and their neighbors. However, the then-New Orleans Police Superintendent issued orders for the confiscation of firearms, allegedly under a state emergency powers law. “No one will be able to be armed,” he said. “Guns will be taken. Only law enforcement will be allowed to have guns.”

Various reports indicate that military and law enforcement agencies from several states participated in confiscating guns from New Orleans residents. Some coverage of these actions was caught on videotape, available at...
http://www.nraila.org/news/VideoLauncher.aspx?id=61
...and...
http://www.nraila.org/news/VideoLauncher.aspx?id=63

While no one condones the mindless violence of those who looted a helpless city or attacked their fellow citizens and rescuers, Congress can, and should, act to protect the self-defense rights of citizens at the times when those rights are most vital.

The Vitter Amendment would:
Prohibit using federal funds to seize firearms or restrict firearms possession, except in the circumstances allowed by current federal or state law.
Not prevent gun confiscation from convicted felons and other “prohibited persons,” and would have no effect on law enforcement operations outside of disaster relief situations.
Emergency powers legislation prohibiting government officials from restricting the rights of law-abiding gun owners during declared states of emergency has already been enacted into law this year in Louisiana, Mississippi, Florida, South Carolina, Virginia, Alaska, Idaho, Kentucky, New Hampshire, and Oklahoma.
Since the unconstitutional, forcible confiscation of firearms from law-abiding citizens strikes at the fundamental Second Amendment rights of all law-abiding Americans, votes on this amendment will be used in our future candidate ratings and evaluations. For more information on this issue, please call NRA Federal Affairs at (202) 651-2560.

Stop Gun Confiscation in Citizens’ Hour of Need

The National Rifle Association Urges You to Vote for the Vitter Amendment.

BigAL
07-12-2006, 6:42 PM
I remember voting for David Vitter. I guess it's a "good law" but the 2nd ammendment is already pretty clear.

SemiAutoSam
07-12-2006, 6:49 PM
Mike
Do you happen to have a link or address to the entire text of the bill ?

Would like to read the whole bill before giving any kind of support

thanks

dwtt
07-12-2006, 7:47 PM
I'm writing in to Feinswine, but I know she won't vote for the amendment. At least my letter will take up a minute of her mail room's time.

SemiAutoSam
07-12-2006, 7:51 PM
Why bother that old hag is a lost cause she has trampeped on more rights than any 10 senators combined IMHO

this statement does not reflect the thoughts and feelings of the management of this board this is only MY personal opinion.