PDA

View Full Version : Can I Ship My Inline to a Buyer Out of State?

Mattole
12-09-2010, 5:39 PM
I am selling my black powder inline muzzleloader and am wondering if I can ship it directly (from California) to a private buyer out of state. If not, what is the legal way to get it to him?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I could not find info specific to my question using the search feature.

Many thanks.

Interloper
12-09-2010, 6:13 PM
Which state? NJ, MA, IL, NY...maybe not. It's not one of those "assault" muzzle-loaders, is it? ;)

Mattole
12-09-2010, 6:19 PM
Which state? NJ, MA, IL, NY...maybe not. It's not one of those "assault" muzzle-loaders, is it? ;)

It would be shipping to upper NY state. "Assault" muzzleloader? That would be funny to see..

hk91666
12-09-2010, 8:04 PM
I am selling my black powder inline muzzleloader and am wondering if I can ship it directly (from California) to a private buyer out of state. If not, what is the legal way to get it to him?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I could not find info specific to my question using the search feature.

Many thanks.

As long as it is not illegal in the buyers state, yes mail it to them. Not sure if BP is illegal anywhere.

steamerjames
12-09-2010, 8:09 PM
as far as i know only NJ-just like CA used to be prior to 1991-a pistol is a pistol even if BP.

hk91666
12-09-2010, 8:12 PM
as far as i know only NJ-just like CA used to be prior to 1991-a pistol is a pistol even if BP.

Sounded like OP was talking about long gun "inline". I also got a Bp pistol in Cali without DROS a remington 1858. But do not know about Jersey.

Longgun Bp should be no problem. JMHO.

Interloper
12-09-2010, 8:18 PM
I just Googled "ny black powder laws" and I found this:

"Last week, The Investigators went undercover to expose a gaping loophole in New York state's gun laws. Now Governor Eliot Spitzer is promising to examine the problem more closely."
"The black powder rifle's exemption from gun laws is one of the last remaining major gun loopholes in the state of New York. But the days of buying this deadly weapon no questions asked may be numbered.
Our undercover investigation showed with alarming clarity just how easy it is to get a black powder rifle in New York."

Had to laugh. :rofl2:

Mssr. Eleganté
12-09-2010, 8:21 PM
ATF still considers some in-line muzzle loaders to be firearms under the GCA. Certain in-line muzzle loaders are built on regular firearm frames or just use an interchangeable barrel to switch from modern ammo to black powder. Some examples ATF lists are...

Thompson Center G2 Contender 209-45
Thompson Center Encore 209-50
The H&R 1871 Huntsman
Rossi S50
Mauser 98 fitted with a muzzle loading barrel
Remington 870 fitted with a muzzle loading barrel
Mossberg 500 fitted with a muzzle loading barrel

Which make and model are you selling? It's most likely considered an "antique" under the law, but you should make sure before you ship it.

hk91666
12-09-2010, 8:40 PM
I just Googled "ny black powder laws" and I found this:

Had to laugh. :rofl2:

In the words of today's youth OMG! See Cali is not so bad after all LOL!