PDA

View Full Version : change in rules next year

razor19110
07-12-2006, 5:14 PM
What is the anticipated effect due to the change in CA DOJ rules. Which of the major guns will no longer be allowed, and is the general consensus that the manufacturers will change the guns to make them allowed again.

I.e. should we all be running to the dealer to buy as many guns as time will allow until the rules change? :rolleyes:

xenophobe
07-12-2006, 7:11 PM
Next year as a dealer, he must recheck the computer prior to a handgun delivery to make sure it is still on a registry listed as 'safe' to sell in California. If the firearm is not on the list, then he must determine why it fell off the list, and if it was due to a retest failure, deny your pickup, tell you the pistol you purchased is no longer safe, the state is keeping the fees, and you have to buy something else and wait another 10 days and pay another DROS fee to own, or give you a refund.

Next year as a consumer, a dealer will deny you the handgun you paid and waited 10 days for if it falls off the list for being unsafe. Your DROS fee will not be refundable.

xenophobe
07-12-2006, 7:26 PM
:rolleyes:

bwiese
07-12-2006, 7:52 PM
Next year as a dealer, he must recheck the computer prior to a handgun delivery to make sure it is still on a registry listed as 'safe' to sell in California. If the firearm is not on the list, then he must determine why it fell off the list, and if it was due to a retest failure, deny your pickup, tell you the pistol you purchased is no longer safe, the state is keeping the fees, and you have to buy something else and wait another 10 days and pay another DROS fee to own, or give you a refund.

Next year as a consumer, a dealer will deny you the handgun you paid and waited 10 days for if it falls off the list for being unsafe. Your DROS fee will not be refundable.

Yep. One extra step in selling a handgun, in a process that already takes way too long.

This will make the gun biz (1) even more unprofitable for marginal dealers already squeezed by high CA costs-of-biz in general and (2) raise gun prices for dealers able to stay in business. The gun biz itself in CA is not particularly profitable. I doubt there are many gun store owners in CA that net even $90K/yr wages after all is said and done. (Sure there are some fringe benefits you can get out of a small biz, but still...)

Bottom line is that fewer guns can be sold per hour per store with the same staff - even when the staff is well-trained and the procedures/workflow is optimized. Some dealers will just cut staff and make people wait longer.

With the current BATF licensing war going on as we speak, we don't need further distractions.

The NRA shoulda left this sleep after it was edited/amended to death, but the sponsor (and NRA) likely wanted to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and act like they were 'doing something'.

Normally I am not an NRA basher at all. I think their intent was good, but the side effects were not thought out after the amendment cycles.

Right now, if a handgun drops off the list during the 10day wait, it's still your gun. And if a gun drops off the list while it's in the showcase, it's not really offered for sale because the transaction can't happen or be fulfilled because the DROS system will kick it out: it's kinda 'prescreened' before the transaction happens. Any lawyer could get out of 'offered for sale' issues due to this.

chris
07-13-2006, 12:25 AM
i'm wondering like the first post here said what firearms are going to be affected with the change in rules. but right now this is all speculation as to what will happen and when it will go into effect.

GJJ
07-13-2006, 5:39 AM
The funniest part is that there are no unsafe handguns. Just unsafe people.

To declare the new law a victory is like celebrating because the inmates at the Hanoi Hilton got new bricks for pillows. The old ones were lumpy.

Mudvayne540ld
07-13-2006, 4:25 PM

Oh, phew.... I thought we were being screwed :rolleyes:

ldivinag
07-13-2006, 7:10 PM

so essentially, you just paid $25 to some gov worker for doing 2 seconds of work... sigh...

xenophobe
07-13-2006, 7:29 PM
so essentially, you just paid $25 to some gov worker for doing 2 seconds of work... sigh...

In the unlikely event this were to happen. Yes.

kantstudien
07-14-2006, 12:39 AM
you mean no one is checking now! thank goodness this passed! And the line about the re-test, its actually redunant becuse it is currently unlawful to offer for sale an unsafe handgun! would you really deliver a weapon that is unsafe and think that this is good exposure?

No one's ever accused you of being too bright have they? :rolleyes:

Bottom line, (thanks to the NRA) is that next year you can subtract 11 days from the expiration date of a particular model on the "safe" handgun roster to make sure you can DROS and pick-up your handgun before it becomes "unsafe."

Thanks NRA! Could you stop the AG from "listing" these dreaded unnamed assault weapons too? Please, think of how much liberty you will be fighting for!

The Soup Nazi
07-14-2006, 10:35 AM
Uh, you do realize that these "Unsafe pistols" are just to screw us out of choice and make us pay more fo rthe pistols that do make it through and the main intent was to screw people out of affordable handguns because they didn't like that the peon can buy a cost effective means of defense?

grammaton76
07-14-2006, 12:12 PM
As originally implemented, the safe handgun list didn't ban much.

However, now it bans almost everything out there with its insistence that new models must have mag disconnect safeties AND loaded chamber indicators (yes, right now it's "or", it becomes "and" on Jan 1 2007)

kantstudien
07-14-2006, 12:31 PM
Please explain why you lose time if you pick up a handgun? this is an absolute statement, with an uninduced axiom. for those of us who are a little slow, please explain.

Well, since you asked nicely, here it is. Let's say a Glock 20 in OD Green is going to expire on 7/12/07. You want one, but funds are a little short. It is now 7/11/07, and you have money and begin the DROS on one. Well, when you come back to the store on 7/21/07, you come to find out that your pistol is now "unsafe" and cannot be delivered to you. Tough poop huh? The latest day you could buy the Glock 20 in OD Green is 7/1/07 because by the time the 10-24hr periods are up, it will be 7/11/07.

grammaton76
07-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Well, since you asked nicely, here it is. Let's say a Glock 20 in OD Green is going to expire on 7/12/07. You want one, but funds are a little short. It is now 7/11/07, and you have money and begin the DROS on one. Well, when you come back to the store on 7/21/07, you come to find out that your pistol is now "unsafe" and cannot be delivered to you. Tough poop huh? The latest day you could buy the Glock 20 in OD Green is 7/1/07 because by the time the 10-24hr periods are up, it will be 7/11/07.

Eh, if I recall correctly, the law as passed stated that pistols were undeliverable if they failed due to failing a re-test (which the DOJ is permitted to order on something like 10% of the pistols on the list per year), but DO remain deliverable if they simply dropped off the list due to non-renewal.

Pokey
07-14-2006, 2:45 PM
I.e. should we all be running to the dealer to buy as many guns as time will allow until the rules change? :rolleyes:

Thats what I keep telling my wife... I gotta get it now before they make it illegal.:D

xenophobe
07-14-2006, 3:49 PM
AB 2111 will protect your purchase "until the transaction is complete". That is 30 days from your dros

It doesn't do that at all.

To a handgun that does not fall off the list from retesting all it does is add a dealer mandated roster check before delivery, where before this bill, a roster check was unnecessary at delivery.

In the very unlikely event a firearm is retested and fails during your waiting period, you will be denied delivery, and the state will keep the DROS fees.

xenophobe
07-15-2006, 6:47 PM
The pistol has to be on the roster for a DROS to be initiated. This has always been the case. If it is not on the roster, it cannot be DROSed.

Starting Jan 1, 2007 the roster will need to be check upon delivery. That is an additional mandated step, any way you look at it.