PDA

View Full Version : New Cellphone??

Aldemar
12-09-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm due for a cellphone upgrade this month (have a blackberry now). Been looking at the Droid X in specific. My carrier is Verizon and I have been very satisfied with their service so far.

Any other similar phones out there I should look at?

Rscan925
12-09-2010, 12:18 PM
i think you accidently placed it in the wrong section bro.

but while im typing stick with the droid. i have the motorola droid and its awsome. or look at the new Evo coming out for verizon.

Flopper
12-09-2010, 12:31 PM
i think you accidently placed it in the wrong section bro.

but while im typing stick with the droid. i have the motorola droid and its awsome. or look at the new Evo coming out for verizon.

+1 for Droid.

I recommend downloading Advanced Taskkiller, Missed Reminder, and of course, Angry Birds :)

bulgron
12-09-2010, 1:03 PM
+1 for Droid.

I recommend downloading Advanced Taskkiller, Missed Reminder, and of course, Angry Birds :)

lol.

I have finished all levels of Angry Birds and am now going back to try to get three stars everywhere. I like the little black birds that explode.

I just put tapatalk pro on my phone and I'm trying it out with CalGuns. So far, I like it better than the CalGuns mobile skin.

Google's My Tracks is also a great app if you're into bicycling or hiking and you want to keep track of where you went.

JDay
12-09-2010, 2:01 PM
You might want to hold off until February and get the Nexus S, either that or get one of the other Galaxy S phones. They are the best Android handsets on the market. The Nexus S will be the first handset to officially get 2.3 Gingerbread and will be the first to get future updates too.

http://free-pc-guides.com/news/verizon-to-get-a-4g-compatible-samsunggoogle-nexus-s-in-february-07514

http://www.craveonline.com/lifestyle/article/the-google-nexus-s-118511

Aldemar
12-09-2010, 2:36 PM
I'd like to wait, but my blackberry is acting up...it's the original storm. Besides, I've come to learn that as soon as something new & cool is available, as soon as I buy it, there is something ever newer & cooler available the next week or so. Might as well bite the bullet now.:(

badfish2
12-09-2010, 3:13 PM
I've had the droid x for a few months now and love it, still can't put this thing down for long!

ChrisTKHarris
12-09-2010, 3:20 PM
I have a Droid Incredible and love it. The X is nice, but a bit too big for my taste. You MIGHT want to wait a bit as Verizon just began to roll out their 4G LTE network, but it's not quite yet ready for San Fernando. It has been released in LA though.

Keep in mind that in order to take advantage of the 4G LTE network you will need a 4G capable phone, so if you aren't in dire needs I might hold off for a few months while Verizon continues to expand the network and more 4G Droids become available.

Rscan925
12-09-2010, 10:32 PM
I'd like to wait, but my blackberry is acting up...it's the original storm. Besides, I've come to learn that as soon as something new & cool is available, as soon as I buy it, there is something ever newer & cooler available the next week or so. Might as well bite the bullet now.:(

That's the truth, you can never be ahead of the game for more than a week because like you said something new always comes out as soon as you get the newest technology. So like the other guys said, as long as you get a phone capable of angry birds, or cut the rope your good to go..

JDay
12-10-2010, 12:46 PM

It's a better idea to hold off for the LTE (4G) phones, they're right around the corner.

FreedomIsNotFree
12-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Q1 2011 is going to be big for VZW. 4G handsets and the iPhone has all but been announced. Hold off a couple months if you can.

Corbin Dallas
12-12-2010, 10:58 AM
I'm due for a cellphone upgrade this month (have a blackberry now). Been looking at the Droid X in specific. My carrier is Verizon and I have been very satisfied with their service so far.

Any other similar phones out there I should look at?

If you must stay with big red, then waiting is your best bet.

If you want to save some $ and still use the CDMA network, look into the EVO.

FreedomIsNotFree
12-12-2010, 11:32 AM
You can't use the EVO on VZW. Even if you could get it activated you would only have voice, no data.

ChrisTKHarris
12-12-2010, 11:42 AM
If you must stay with big red, then waiting is your best bet.

If you want to save some $ and still use the CDMA network, look into the EVO.

You can't use the EVO on VZW. Even if you could get it activated you would only have voice, no data.

I don't think he's implying trying to use the Evo on Verizon. I think he's just saying to look into the Evo and consider Sprint.

Corbin Dallas
12-12-2010, 11:52 AM

You don't own a EVO do you?

FreedomIsNotFree
12-12-2010, 12:31 PM
You don't own a EVO do you?

No, I do not. Not that owning is required to know the capabilities and restrictions that are in place. Are you saying that you CAN activate the EVO on VZW and have full use of both voice and data?

Corbin Dallas
12-12-2010, 12:55 PM
No, I do not. Not that owning is required to know the capabilities and restrictions that are in place. Are you saying that you CAN activate the EVO on VZW and have full use of both voice and data?

I'm saying that Sprint does not charge for roaming and as such you may use the V network when and how you wish with full data and voice capabilities. That is the most basic principal of owning a sprint phone.

If you want to go into details...

CDMA is CDMA. The only thing that prevents you from being able to activate an EVO on big red is the MSL. Big red blocks specific MSL codes that are unique to specific telephone brands and models.

However, if you happen to have a functional copy of certain software by the maker of the CDMA chipset, then with a little knowledge and custom rom programming, you can have a functioning "sprint" only phone on another carrier network.

Same way some users are able to get telephones activated that were not intended for that carrier.

Such as alltel, CT, Vivo, Movistar, PT, KDDI, etc... etc... etc...

There are other restrictions, but it can and has been done. You might want to read the following:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=697487

Here's another topic on the matter:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=696073

FreedomIsNotFree
12-12-2010, 1:18 PM
I'm saying that Sprint does not charge for roaming and as such you may use the V network when and how you wish with full data and voice capabilities. That is the most basic principal of owning a sprint phone.

If you want to go into details...

CDMA is CDMA. The only thing that prevents you from being able to activate an EVO on big red is the MSL. Big red blocks specific MSL codes that are unique to specific telephone brands and models.

However, if you happen to have a functional copy of certain software by the maker of the CDMA chipset, then with a little knowledge and custom rom programming, you can have a functioning "sprint" only phone on another carrier network.

Same way some users are able to get telephones activated that were not intended for that carrier.

Such as alltel, CT, Vivo, Movistar, PT, KDDI, etc... etc... etc...

There are other restrictions, but it can and has been done. You might want to read the following:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=697487

Here's another topic on the matter:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=696073

Sprint does not roam data with VZW...only voice in select markets where VZW allows the practice, which cost Sprint a premium per minute. Additionally, these roaming agreements change by market at the choosing of VZW. VZW uses PRL's, Preferred Roaming List, that control which devices use which towers, and again, Sprint customers can not roam on ANY VZW data network anywhere.

I never said the technology isn't compatible. I'm merely pointing out that for all intents and purposes, you will never get an EVO to roam both voice and data on the VZW network.

VZW loads lists of activate-able ESN's (electronic serial number) into their system, so unless you can get a tech to load and EVO ESN for you, you can't even get the voice side working.

I'm talking practicality, not theory.

Warhawk014
12-12-2010, 3:16 PM

lol thats the truth. i started out with the droid eris, then in april when the droid incredible came out i just had to have it. now i have the Droid X. 3 freakin phones within a year. its a good thing my wife took all my money away from me when the Facinate came out i would have probably bought that one too. just get the droid X for now or try out the facinate, both have 1ghz processors but the facinate outshines the droid X in performance. the X does have a much bigger screen though and is easier to view calguns in regular format vs that mobile format crap. we wont see any lte phones until atleast june/july of 2011 at the earliest. ohh and dont hold your breath for the nexus S. its more of a developer phone. and if your not a developer there is not really much use for it. plus i dont think i have heard anything about it even coming to big red.

Corbin Dallas
12-12-2010, 3:49 PM
Sprint does not roam data with VZW...only voice in select markets where VZW allows the practice, which cost Sprint a premium per minute. Additionally, these roaming agreements change by market at the choosing of VZW. VZW uses PRL's, Preferred Roaming List, that control which devices use which towers, and again, Sprint customers can not roam on ANY VZW data network anywhere.

I never said the technology isn't compatible. I'm merely pointing out that for all intents and purposes, you will never get an EVO to roam both voice and data on the VZW network.

VZW loads lists of activate-able ESN's (electronic serial number) into their system, so unless you can get a tech to load and EVO ESN for you, you can't even get the voice side working.

I'm talking practicality, not theory.

If you say so.

Yet people with the Sprint EVO 4G are able to use the Verizon network anywhere they go in the CONUS without paying a dime extra.

FreedomIsNotFree
12-12-2010, 4:23 PM
Sprint end users don't pay but Sprint does. In any event, we have taken this thread off topic. I just wanted to point out to the OP that an EVO wouldn't serve his needs as long as he is with VZW.

JDay
12-13-2010, 12:00 AM

You're thinking of the MEID, the MSL (Master Subsidy Lock) is the code you need before you can flash the phone to another carrier. However, they maintain a authorized MEID database, if your phone is another carriers phone it will not be in their MEID database and you will not be able to activate it on their service. You can clone the MEID from one carriers phone onto a phone from a different carrier and get it to activate, however doing so a major felony (Wireless Telephone Protection Act).

http://www.glin.gov/view.action?glinID=62004

The Wireless Telephone Protection Act (Public Law 105-172, 112 Stat. 53-55) amends the federal criminal code to prohibit knowingly using, producing, trafficking in, having control or custody of, or possessing hardware or software knowing that it has been configured to insert or modify telecommunication identifying information associated with or contained in a telecommunications instrument so that such instrument may be used to obtain telecommunications service without authorization.

It revises penalties to: (1) impose a fine and a 15-year term of imprisonment for such a violation as a first offense; and (2) require forfeiture to the United States of any personal property used or intended to be used to commit fraud in connection with an access device. It revises the definition of a "scanning receiver" for purposes of such provisions to include a device or apparatus that can be used to intercept an electronic serial number, mobile identification number, or other identifier of any telecommunications service, equipment, or instrument.

It permits an officer, employee, or agent of, or a person engaged in business with, a facilities-based carrier to engage in conduct (other than trafficking) otherwise prohibited for the purpose of protecting that carrier's property or legal rights, unless such conduct is for the purpose of obtaining telecommunications service provided by another facilities-based carrier without such carrier's authorization. It makes it an affirmative defense that the conduct charged (other than a violation consisting of producing or trafficking) was engaged in for research or development in connection with a lawful purpose.

It directs the United States Sentencing Commission to review and amend the federal sentencing guidelines and the policy statements of the Commission, if appropriate, to provide an appropriate penalty for offenses involving the cloning of wireless telephones. (Bill: S. 493)

15 years in prison is a big price to pay to use a Sprint phone on Verizon.

JDay
12-13-2010, 12:06 AM
If you say so.

Yet people with the Sprint EVO 4G are able to use the Verizon network anywhere they go in the CONUS without paying a dime extra.

True, they are also committing a felony by loading those hacked PRL files onto their handsets, see my post above. You should also edit your post that links to instructions on how to become a felon and put a disclaimer in there, or delete it entirely.

Corbin Dallas
12-13-2010, 5:14 AM
True, they are also committing a felony by loading those hacked PRL files onto their handsets, see my post above. You should also edit your post that links to instructions on how to become a felon and put a disclaimer in there, or delete it entirely.

I think you mis-understand how to get an EVO on big red. Nothing in those instructions bypasses authorization features of said carrier.

Much in the same way an unlocked iphone can be used on Tmobile, a modifed MSL "could" allow you to use the phone on a different CDMA carrier.

And I kept out the part about the MEID so as not to give away all the secrets of how to do the work. But since you mentioned it, I guess that's out of the bag.

Lancear15
12-13-2010, 5:26 AM
Samsung fascinate all the way. Kicks the iPhones butt.

JDay
12-13-2010, 2:36 PM
I think you mis-understand how to get an EVO on big red. Nothing in those instructions bypasses authorization features of said carrier.

Much in the same way an unlocked iphone can be used on Tmobile, a modifed MSL "could" allow you to use the phone on a different CDMA carrier.

You do not know what you are talking about, an MSL only serves one purpose and that is to lock the phone to a carrier. You unlock a phone by calculating your MSL and then changing it to 000000. However, even if you flash that phone to another network it still cannot be activated because the MEID is not in that carriers database of authorized handsets. Carriers that will flash another carriers phone to their service have to add the MEID to their database in order to complete the activation, otherwise you cannot call out or receive calls even if you have an active account. Then again what do I know, I only used to work for a cellular provider. Using a hacked PRL file to gain unauthorized access to a providers services is also a violation of the federal law I posted (theft of data services), and possibly violates the DMCA since you are circumventing access restrictions.

ETA: Verizon handsets all come with the MSL unlocked.

Samsung fascinate all the way. Kicks the iPhones butt.

Yep, those Galaxy S phones are the bees knees.

bombadillo
12-13-2010, 2:51 PM
I have the Evo, the counterpart to the Droid X on Sprint and I LOVE this thing. It does more than I could ever want a phone to do. I actually like the droid x more in some aspects and this in others. Either one you get, get a Seidio 3500mah battery as they're worth every penny. The phone just flat drains the battery on the standard 1500mah battery and the 3500 goes almost 3 full days without a charge and thats with me using the stupid thing a LOT. Don't sacrifice for a few bucks because you'll be much happier if you get exactly the one you like in about six months.

cowboy777
12-13-2010, 6:07 PM
+1 for Droid.

You don't need a task killer they do more harm then good. The task killer actually slows down your phone because it leaves programs open and doesn't let them shut down on there own. Uninstall it and give it a day your phone will run faster and longer battery

Corbin Dallas
12-13-2010, 8:26 PM
You do not know what you are talking about, an MSL only serves one purpose and that is to lock the phone to a carrier. You unlock a phone by calculating your MSL and then changing it to 000000. However, even if you flash that phone to another network it still cannot be activated because the MEID is not in that carriers database of authorized handsets. Carriers that will flash another carriers phone to their service have to add the MEID to their database in order to complete the activation, otherwise you cannot call out or receive calls even if you have an active account. Then again what do I know, I only used to work for a cellular provider. Using a hacked PRL file to gain unauthorized access to a providers services is also a violation of the federal law I posted (theft of data services), and possibly violates the DMCA since you are circumventing access restrictions.

ETA: Verizon handsets all come with the MSL unlocked.

Yep, those Galaxy S phones are the bees knees.

You're right JDay, WTF do I know. I only worked for Qualcomm in the CDMA division testing firmware for mobile broadband...

bobh
12-13-2010, 9:08 PM
Just got a LG Droid from Verizon for $50 with re-upping my contract. I expect the 3Gs are cheap now cuz everyone is waiting to be the first to overpay for the 4G. LOL

JDay
12-14-2010, 5:55 PM
You're right JDay, WTF do I know. I only worked for Qualcomm in the CDMA division testing firmware for mobile broadband...

Which has nothing to do with operating a cellular provider.