PDA

View Full Version : probably a stupid question regarding the m44

goback
12-09-2010, 10:29 AM
picked up a russian m44 at the local gun show here and was wondering how i can find out any history on it if at all possible. im pretty new to the whole c/r thing so any information would be helpful.

Reductio
12-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Bump around here a bit and/or post pics: :D

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks.htm

goback
12-09-2010, 10:49 AM
so it looks like i have a Izhevsk 1944 m44. its been refurbished it has the ukrainian depot mark on the stock and reciever. i got it for 150. good price? ill try to post pics later

Haggar85
12-09-2010, 10:58 AM
so it looks like i have a Izhevsk 1944 m44. its been refurbished it has the ukrainian depot mark on the stock and receiver. i got it for 150. good price? ill try to post pics later

150 is a very good price. they are kind of getting rare these days.

paul0660
12-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Good price. They are supposed to be shot with the bayonet extended. For what to expect, see my avatar.

goback
12-09-2010, 11:20 AM
i was thinking about taking off the bayo all together. i mean if there is no real historic value then i might as well spend a couple hundred on a new stock, and some optics and make it into a sporterized budget hunting rifle

Reductio
12-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Now you done it. :P

If you're going to spend that much money, just get a modern rifle that will shoot well out of the box. I personally don't see the appeal of doing anything more than scope base, but that's just me. M44's are fun guns, take 'em out to the desert and create some fireballs and blow stuff up. They're not MOA type match rifles.

goback
12-09-2010, 11:25 AM
thats what i did last weekend. took it out to 29 palms and had some great fun with it. very accuate at 150. no problems hitting targets at all. that was my other thought considering how increasingly rare these are maybe i should just leave it as is. thanks a lot

goback
12-09-2010, 11:26 AM
do you have a scope mount on yours?

Flyin Brian
12-09-2010, 12:01 PM
i was thinking about taking off the bayo all together. i mean if there is no real historic value then i might as well spend a couple hundred on a new stock, and some optics and make it into a sporterized budget hunting rifle

If you are having fun shooting it now, and have no problem hitting targets out to 150, why would you waste money on a cheesy plastic stock and scope mount? It already shoots good and it DOES have historical value.

SideWinder11
12-09-2010, 12:44 PM
DO NOT SPORTERNIZE IT PLEASE!!!! Appreciate what you have. Put a scope on a modern rifle.

For the love of god people.

glennsche
12-09-2010, 12:49 PM
150 is a very good price. they are kind of getting rare these days.

yknow, i've heard this for a while now, but tbh i dont see it personally, there are still unissued mint ones floating around on GB for under 200$... seems like if they were really getting rarer they'd be going up in price. i got a near mint one about 18mos ago for 125$ and they dont seem to be much more than that now.

not flaming mind you, just curious, what makes you think they're getting rarer?

glennsche
12-09-2010, 1:03 PM
thats what i did last weekend. took it out to 29 palms and had some great fun with it. very accuate at 150. no problems hitting targets at all. that was my other thought considering how increasingly rare these are maybe i should just leave it as is. thanks a lot

which rifles have you shot that arent accurate at 150yrds? my .22 can shoot wine bottles at 100 no problem. anything shooting a cartridge the size of the x54r should be accurate to 300 at least.

and i agree with the previous posters, dont sporterize these old things. and leave the scopes for the long rifles where they were meant to be. I think of scoping rifles for shooting distances you cant see clearly over iron sights, which is to say greater than 300 yards. The m44 doesnt have the barrel length to shoot really long distances accurately (id say 500 tops) so the scope wouldn't help you too much unless you couldnt see targets 300 or closer coz you have bad eyesight or something. (Although i will caveat this by saying this has only been my experience and may vary, hell, maybe my 44 and the few others ive shot just werent that good, a distinct possibility)

if you want to get a scoped mosin, well, get one of the sniper or sniper repros out there which can actually hit stuff at 500yrds or so.

just my .02 :)

also, there's a scoped m44 on gb right now, it looks kinda weird. its just too short for a scope... heh!

goback
12-09-2010, 1:10 PM
which rifles have you shot that arent accurate at 150yrds? my .22 can shoot wine bottles at 100 no problem. anything shooting a cartridge the size of the x54r should be accurate to 300 at least.

and i agree with the previous posters, dont sporterize these old things. and leave the scopes for the long rifles where they were meant to be. I think of scoping rifles for shooting distances you cant see clearly over iron sights, which is to say greater than 300 yards. The m44 doesnt have the barrel length to shoot really long distances accurately (id say 500 tops) so the scope wouldn't help you too much unless you couldnt see targets 300 or closer coz you have bad eyesight or something. (Although i will caveat this by saying this has only been my experience and may vary, hell, maybe my 44 and the few others ive shot just werent that good, a distinct possibility)

if you want to get a scoped mosin, well, get one of the sniper or sniper repros out there which can actually hit stuff at 500yrds or so.

just my .02 :)

also, there's a scoped m44 on gb right now, it looks kinda weird. its just too short for a scope... heh!

i dont really appreciate unneeded sarcasm when are you ever shooting anything over 200 yards??? never. you can hunt anything with a shotgun. or you should be able too(minus large game of course).
yes i have a problem seeing my target at 250 plus. at this point i dont think im gonna get optics though

Palimino Stripe
12-09-2010, 1:14 PM
One might want to mention that M44 shoot BETTER WITH THE BAYONET. They were sighted with the bayonet on- by completely removing it you would screw with everything that makes it shoot accurately- including the barrel harmonics.... If you want a bayonet-less M44- there is a version of the Mosin Nagant known as the M38 that is just that.

Hope you enjoy your purchase as-is. They are fun guns :)

glennsche
12-09-2010, 1:18 PM
i dont really appreciate unneeded sarcasm when are you ever shooting anything over 200 yards??? never. you can hunt anything with a shotgun. or you should be able too(minus large game of course).
yes i have a problem seeing my target at 250 plus. at this point i dont think im gonna get optics though

sorry if i came across as sarcastic, i dont mean to. i always shot at angeles range which has metal silhoutte targets at 100yrd intervals out to 600yrds, so those are the ranges i explored my shooting skillz at. For me though what was important was hitting metal silhoutte targets in the form of game or platter sized round shapes or what not, i was not the kind of guy who was super focused on super tight groups.

for me, i wanted to see if i could hit man sized targets at 300yrds, which is the upper edge of the ranges at which most ww2 combat took place (leading to the development of the midsized cartridge used in assault weapons today).

so to explain myself a little further and hopefully sound less sarcastic, i guess my point was: the full sized late 19th century cartridge which was used from the 1880s till the 40s in armies all over the world in various forms with slight variations in caliber and cartridge design is supposed to hit and kill people up to half a mile no sweat, and all the rifles fielded during that era can do that to a greater or lesser degree of accuracy. While the russian rifle designers put more of a premium on simplicity of production and cost than, say, the swiss or the british did, their weapons are gonna hit stuff at 150 no problemo.

goback
12-09-2010, 1:42 PM
right. so like i said 150 no problem

goback
12-09-2010, 1:43 PM
One might want to mention that M44 shoot BETTER WITH THE BAYONET. They were sighted with the bayonet on- by completely removing it you would screw with everything that makes it shoot accurately- including the barrel harmonics.... If you want a bayonet-less M44- there is a version of the Mosin Nagant known as the M38 that is just that.

Hope you enjoy your purchase as-is. They are fun guns :)

that is a great point. i just dont like how front heavy the rifle is, although if its going to screw with my sighting then maybe ill just keep it as is and deal with it. i have had a lot of fun shooting it as is

Interloper
12-09-2010, 1:46 PM
Your carbine is loaded with historical value.
It was among the final wave of armaments sent to the front. It caught up with the war as the Wehrmacht was in in full retreat, just before the final collapse of the Reich. Fighting was at it's most viscous and desperate in those days.
After the war, your carbine served guard duty in a dozen nations occupied by the victorious Red Army. It was an instrument of liberation and oppression.
Once it was retired from service it was carefully restored and packed in protective grease. It sat for decades in a Ukrainian depot, ready for the day a new threat to the USSR would rise up out of the West...ready to defend the mother land again.
Now it's yours. A fierce old soldier honored with a new uniform just before retirement. There's a lot of history in that carbine. Cherish it the way it is. :)

CEDaytonaRydr
12-09-2010, 1:54 PM
For the record, there are ways to scope a Mosin and not hurt the value of it. You can get a scope mount that attaches to the current sight base and use a long eye-relief scope, like the NC Star or a pistol scope.

Don't let anyone tell you what to do with your stuff. It's yours! As Digital Underground would say: "Dowhatchalike"... ;)

Haggar85
12-09-2010, 5:07 PM
yknow, i've heard this for a while now, but tbh i dont see it personally, there are still unissued mint ones floating around on GB for under 200$... seems like if they were really getting rarer they'd be going up in price. i got a near mint one about 18mos ago for 125$ and they dont seem to be much more than that now.

not flaming mind you, just curious, what makes you think they're getting rarer?

Other than on gun broker, they are not really in many stores. big 5's or little mom and papa shops. i saw one guy that is crooked as a snake selling an m44 for 259 and some one bought it a few weeks later. gun broker is pretty much the only place that has them. granted there are millions made but they are just not being imported lately. that and Ecuador bought 2 million of them about 2 years ago to arm their rural police. i read this on line but not 100% certain.
I talked to another mosin fan thats a manages a big 5 sporting goods. he said that Ukraine got pissed that century was jacking up the price 10 bucks every year and change. none of that profit was making it back to Ukraine. they are bought for around 15 dollars, i think jacking up the price 5 more dollars on the buyers end would remedy this issue. There are mom and pop little people, like Florida gun works that still have them but i think century just needs to work on their business skills a bit more. word around the camp fire is they tend to piss people off quite a bit.

Interloper
12-09-2010, 5:51 PM
M44's are going up in price. Quite rapidly. There are simply no more to import. If you can find a refurb Soviet for $150, buy it.
Oh, and there is no such thing as an unissued M44. They look so pretty because of the refurb process.