PDA

View Full Version : AR Match Competition for the Younger Generation

dhl
07-11-2006, 7:07 PM
Doe's anyone remember that with the AW ban our younger generation lost out on being allowed to use AR rifles for Match Competition? At the time I think there was a young Lady that was under 18 and a national shooting champion with the AR. When the AW ban came about a state official was asked about her predicament with not being able to use the AR for competition, he replied to the effect that she should move out of state. Now, friends that attitude is just wrong.

Our OLL type firearms aren't a major source of crime and the law is hurting our childrens' ability to compete in the shooting sports. 'For the Children' sure won't go over well with the DOJ though. I do think in the greater scheme of things that this is a point worth mentioning to the state. Have we forgotten to protect the rights of our own children to excell at the shooting sports by denying them the right to equal footing in competition with the rest of the nations children?

Granted, my wording of the issue is a little foggy but I hope my point is understood. Of course there's more merit to the allowed use of these firearms than just 'For the Children' but it's a point to remember and take seriously.

Joe

6172crew
07-11-2006, 7:27 PM
I have heard of the DOJ allowing certain pistols into CA without being on a list, the guy I spoke with wanted a gold cup in 10mm and the guy let him get it.

I also see there is a provision to allow riles used in the Olypics so I think they would be willing to work with folks who showed a need for a CTR, or White Oak Ar15, I dont think they would go for the MForgery with lazer sights though.

I allways thought are problem was that they didnt see a need for this rifle and that only mouthbreathing rednecks and gang members wanted to use them. problem is teh law is passed and we have to gain some ground with these guys and writting letters of concern is a way we can get it done.

Along with the help of a few members and my gal Im going to write a letter that hopefully helps us all in the long run. BTW IPSC type shoots are a blast and about the only thing worth bringing is a barrel whipping mini14. Id be out at the range every weekend if I had a AR15 that could be competitve, which the ol' Vulcan and Fab10 aint'.:rolleyes:

bwiese
07-12-2006, 12:55 AM
The case cited by Joe/DHL was not about a girl with an AR15, it was a girl and her Olympic target pistol (as these guns were described by the generic definition of a pistol-based AW). When asked about this, Don Perata was quoted as saying, "...if she wants to shoot that kinda gun she should move to Texas." (approximate quote, but hit all the high points).

Saner heads prevailed and there is now a list of allowed Olympic target pistols allowed. This is covered in 12276.1 (b), (c) and (d). Other Olympic pistols can be added but must be sanctioned by "USA Shooting" group or other relevant sanctioning body.

There is no 12276.1(b)/(c)/(d) exemption for rifles, just pistols. There is a similar exemption in 12132(h) for Olympic target pistols from 'safe gun'/approved list matters as well.

While the focus of AW and safe gun exemptions is, typically, forward magazine 22/32 Olympic free pistols, etc. it appears that other pistols truly used in competition may be able to be exempted from safe gun testing...

bwiese
07-12-2006, 12:56 AM
Not just for some but for everyone (sung to the tune of : BLESS THE BEASTS AND THE CHILDREN) This will be my opening statement at the Hearing in August

I hope you are joking.

Please do not come to the Aug 16 regulatory meeting if you are gonna do this.

No 2nd Amend. issues should be discusssed at this meeting as they are absolutely irrelevant to the matter at hand.

team06
07-12-2006, 7:46 AM
A while back I was wanting to get both my son and I into 3 gun matches, and possibly my son into / onto the junior high power shooting. I sent a email to DOJ and was told that until the laws changed that there was no way I could do it. There was not even a "for competition only" chance, and yes I asked! I even went so far as to ask if I could buy an AR, register it of course, and leave it locked in the local PD safe.... no go there either. My son is not only a certified Range Officer, but the youngest in the US (at 12). It was explained in the email question also that he and I would be shooting together but that made no difference either.
Yes, I grant you that we could use a mini-14 for the competition, but it would be nice to compete on an equal footing.
Bottom line here is that looking for a competition clause was a no-go in the golden state.....

Dave Wilson

bwiese
07-12-2006, 8:51 AM
A while back I was wanting to get both my son and I into 3 gun matches, and possibly my son into / onto the junior high power shooting. I sent a email to DOJ and was told that until the laws changed that there was no way I could do it. There was not even a "for competition only" chance, and yes I asked! ... {snip}....
Bottom line here is that looking for a competition clause was a no-go in the golden state.....

Yes, the only competition exemption for Californians is for Olympic-style pistols. There is a more general competition exemption for out-of-state folks coming into CA but it is so broadly written that anyone who tries to rely on it could well be prosecuted if caught with an AW: it might end up being useful as a defense, but it's essentially useless, as the person has to go directly to/from a sanctioned shoot without staying overnight, visiting/tourism, etc.

AWs had to be acquired & reg'd at the right times to be retained. Furthermore, your 12yr old son cannot use or even touch assualt weapons until he is 18 because of broad issues with how the law is phrased using the term "lend".

chris
07-12-2006, 9:08 AM
yep this state is so jacked now. it used to be called the golden state. now it's just a stupid state run by idiological idiots drunk with power beyond all imagination.

i applaud your idea to do a 3 gun match with your son and that is an example many people should strive for. unforunatly the laws here are so bad no one can make any frickin sense out of them.

grammaton76
07-12-2006, 10:54 AM
A while back I was wanting to get both my son and I into 3 gun matches, and possibly my son into / onto the junior high power shooting.

Have you tried seeing how they do on gripless AR's yet?