PDA

View Full Version : My shoulder is sore

IEShooter
12-08-2010, 4:07 PM
Picked up a Yugo SKS and my first Mosin yesterday. Both were Black Friday deals from Big-5. $89 for the Mosin, which was an add-on to the DROS as I was there for the SKS.

Got them cleaned up last night (that took forever) and took today off to go shooting, then realized I had forgotten to order the recoil pad. Pad is on the way, but oh well, off to the range.

Must have shot 200 rounds throught the AK and SKS, but only 20 through the Mosin. Forgot my darn corn cob filled bench rests, so I used a shooting bag and it was too low, which put me at an ackward angle. If I held it just right, it didn't hurt at all, but when I was contorted for a shot at a target at an odd angle, I was punished for it.

Pics of Mosin below from the cardboard box to all cleaned up. All matching serials but the bore has pretty uniform pitting throughout from the looks of it. Nevertheless, gun shot very well.

It's my first and I'm sure there will be more.

Regards,

John

laika
12-08-2010, 4:21 PM
Looks like you got two of my favorite guns! And your Mosin looks sweet, we would love to hear more about it.

Recoil pads are my friend :D but before I discovered them I found the right placement for the butt was really important to enjoy my new toys. I also sometimes take a hand towel to the range if a buttpad isn't available.

I hope your new friends give you lots of enjoyment and seriously, let us know how they do in the future. Great choices, congrats.

Caribouriver
12-08-2010, 4:50 PM
I find that the shorter the Mosins get, the more they kick. I was really surprised at how accurate a non-matching 91/30 was. It grouped a pattern as big as your fist at 100 yds. Good luck. You can't go wrong with those two.

Bigtwin
12-08-2010, 5:02 PM
I assure you the "sore" part was from the Mosin!:D
You have to pocket that stock tight or else.....
My first time with the Mosin m38 I pulled it very tight in and after 30rounds I began anticipating the discomfort, so , 20 rounds later I was done. I have found with all mosins a rubber buttpad made to fit where the steel buttplate goes solves all the problem. No perminent mods and much more comfort!
This is what I used:http://www.tickbitesupply.com/mos.html
About 25 products down from the top.

IEShooter
12-08-2010, 5:07 PM
I assure you the "sore" part was from the Mosin!:D
You have to pocket that stock tight or else.....
My first time with the Mosin m38 I pulled it very tight in and after 30rounds I began anticipating the discomfort, so , 20 rounds later I was done. I have found with all mosins a rubber buttpad made to fit where the steel buttplate goes solves all the problem. No perminent mods and much more comfort!
This is what I used:http://www.tickbitesupply.com/mos.html
About 25 products down from the top.

It was definitely the Mosin. I've shot 200+ rounds out of my AK before as well as the M1A. They don't kick like the Mosin, plus they have a rubber recoil pad instead of a steel plate!!!! :eek:

I ordered a recoil pad that replaces the plate and that should make a world of difference.

Today wasn't about trying to see how accurate they are. Today was simply fun. Lot's of cans of shaving cream and gallons of water met an untimely death. :p

skscj
12-08-2010, 5:31 PM
I love the smell of Hoppes 9 in the mornin...
Great guns for the price.

Rem222
12-08-2010, 6:14 PM
You picked up a nice looking 91/30. Make room in your safe for another.

Noonanda
12-08-2010, 6:28 PM
Look into buying a Past Recoil shield, I bought one a few years back and have never regretted it. I can shoot Surplus out of mosins, or Turk ammo out of a K-98 all day with it.(if you think mosins kick, shoot Turk surplus out of a regular K-98, that ammo is HOT and it hurts really quick!)