PDA

View Full Version : Droidx + iPad = Internet?????

slowjonn
12-08-2010, 1:31 PM
My wife has a Droidx (wifi and 3G). She wants an iPad for Xmas. Can the Droid be used for internet on the iPad (as a wifi hotspot) without any additional equipment/ service from Verizon?

The people at Costco (both computer guy and cell phone girl) were pretty useless. They said I had to buy the Verizon version of the iPad and get additional service through Verizon. If it matters, we have Verizon as our phone service.

She needs to be able to have internet wherever there is cell service for her Real Estate work.

Thanks

TMC
12-08-2010, 1:42 PM
You should be able to but some carriers charge an addtional fee for tethering (to use the phone as a wifi for other devices). I have an iPhone and ATT and to tether they charge an addtional monthly fee no top of what I already pay for 3G.

thrasherfox
12-08-2010, 1:54 PM
I have the exact setup.

Droidx and an Ipad.

If you want to use the Droid X mobile hotspot it costs an additonal $20.00 per month.

But it allows you to connect up to 5 devices through it to connect to the internet.

I used it travling down sought and the wife was on my Ipad browsing the internet the entire time.

Go to my dads and I had my Ipad, the son had his laptop and the wife had her laptop and we were all connected through my Droid browsing the internet.

It is 3G so it is not lightening fast, but it is more than functional

In my opinion.

Deucer
12-08-2010, 2:04 PM
I have the exact setup.

Droidx and an Ipad.

If you want to use the Droid X mobile hotspot it costs an additonal $20.00 per month.

But it allows you to connect up to 5 devices through it to connect to the internet.

I used it travling down sought and the wife was on my Ipad browsing the internet the entire time.

Go to my dads and I had my Ipad, the son had his laptop and the wife had her laptop and we were all connected through my Droid browsing the internet.

It is 3G so it is not lightening fast, but it is more than functional

In my opinion.

IF you pay the extra $20, do you get unlimited data? That could get expensive quickly... also, what's the battery life on the droid like with all those devices connected? Any worse than if you were browsing around yourself on the phone?

slowjonn
12-08-2010, 2:04 PM
Ok, thanks. Which iPad should I get? They had one with wifi for a lttle over $500 and one with wifi and 3g for $700. Do I need the one with 3g also?

slowjonn
12-08-2010, 2:06 PM
I have another question. The battery on my Droid sucks. I need to charge it about twice a day. Is there a better way to run it or is there an extended battery available?

JDay
12-08-2010, 3:12 PM
Root the phone and you can tether it for free.

I have another question. The battery on my Droid sucks. I need to charge it about twice a day. Is there a better way to run it or is there an extended battery available?

You shouldn't have to charge it more than once a day, are you constantly using it? Also, make sure you shut the screen off when not in use and turn off the GPS and Wireless when not in use. You can also turn the screen brightness down and save a ton of battery life, the back light uses something like 80% of the battery.

sevensix2x51
12-08-2010, 3:15 PM
is there a root howto for the new os yet? gingerbread, or whatever the heck its calling itself these days? er, i mean the latest update that i had to unroot, not yet g/b.. i miss my dear barnacle...

JDay
12-08-2010, 3:19 PM
is there a root howto for the new os yet? gingerbread, or whatever the heck its calling itself these days? i miss my dear barnacle...

That's not even out yet. The first phone that will have that is the new Nexus S that is coming out next month. When Gingerbread gets released to other handsets there will be a way to root it within a day or two on xda-developers.com.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=687

tba02
12-08-2010, 5:33 PM
Actually Gingerbread is out but limited to certain devices and some flaky ROMS.

There are alternatives to the ipad, and more coming soon.

I'm assuming you are talking about the Verizon issuance of the ipad, in which case you will need to tether the droidx. You can pony up the 20 bucks, or root and use some of the (dubiously) free options.

tba02
12-08-2010, 5:35 PM
Ok, thanks. Which iPad should I get? They had one with wifi for a lttle over $500 and one with wifi and 3g for $700. Do I need the one with 3g also?

If you get that 3G version, there is no need to tether, but you pay for ATT and the service.

W/o 3G, you need to tether if WIFI is not available.

gadjeep
12-08-2010, 5:43 PM
Tethering is included with your 3g plan but the hot spot is an extra charge.

gadjeep
12-08-2010, 5:45 PM
I have used mine with a PC but I'm not sure what type of utility you'd need to connect to the ipad

JDay
12-08-2010, 6:19 PM
If you get that 3G version, there is no need to tether, but you pay for ATT and the service.

W/o 3G, you need to tether if WIFI is not available.

Verizon has it now too.

Actually Gingerbread is out but limited to certain devices and some flaky ROMS.

None of these are an official release.

JDay
12-08-2010, 6:21 PM
Tethering is included with your 3g plan but the hot spot is an extra charge.

I have used mine with a PC but I'm not sure what type of utility you'd need to connect to the ipad

You root the phone, enable the wifi hotspot, then connect over that.

TonyM
12-08-2010, 6:30 PM
Root the phone and you can tether it for free.

You root the phone, enable the wifi hotspot, then connect over that.

Not exactly.

On the X you have three options.

1. Pay for the Hotspot fee ($20/mo)
2. Root and use another Tethering app ($FREE) (what I do)
3. Root, then flash the NVRAM with a hack that allows the Verizon Hotspot to work w/o paying for it (This one is pretty much piracy and criminal, so I don't advise it).

Option #1 will work fine. This creates an Infrastructure network and all devices should be able to connect.

Problem with option #2 is that the hotspot you create is an Ad-Hoc network and some devices (Android, and I believe iOS) can't just connect to the Ad-Hoc network without extra work on that side.

In order to get my Galaxy Tab and Tegra2 Tablets to tether to my X I had to recompile wpasupplicant for them so they would connect/recognize Ad-Hoc networks.

Option #3 is technically theft as you're breaking their application and the TOS. I wouldn't recommend this method at all.

wilit
12-08-2010, 6:40 PM
Pretty sure you don't have to root it to bypass the tethering charge. Download PDANet. I've been tethering free on my Touch Pro (windows os) with no ROM update. My buddy has been using PDANet with good success on his original Droid with no issues.

jonzer77
12-08-2010, 7:02 PM
Pdanet wont work with the ipad as far as I know. There might be a way to do it if you have the camera kit. When I rooted my droid x I was able to tether with my ipad with wireless tether and it worked fine. I sold my ipad recently but I never had a problem with connecting to my droid x.

slowjonn
12-08-2010, 7:53 PM
Wow that was a lot of talk I didn't understand!:eek:

I'm ok paying the $20/mo to make the phone a hotspot.

I am still confused if I need the iPad with the wifi or the the one with the wifi and 3g????

And just to confirm, any ipad will work right? I dont need the Verizon specific one if I get the $20 hotspot service right?

Thanks

tgriffin
12-08-2010, 8:14 PM
Anyone know how to get a blackberry bold 9700 to tether?

YourHuckleberry
12-08-2010, 8:19 PM
Is "rooting" the same as "jailbreaking"? My buddy said he "jailbroke" his phone and now uses it as a hotspot for free

mds2004
12-08-2010, 8:43 PM
Wow that was a lot of talk I didn't understand!:eek:

I am still confused if I need the iPad with the wifi or the the one with the wifi and 3g????

And just to confirm, any ipad will work right? I dont need the Verizon specific one if I get the $20 hotspot service right?

Thanks
Just the Wifi version. The 3g one lets you pay the data plan directly to the ipad wherever you are.

Is "rooting" the same as "jailbreaking"? My buddy said he "jailbroke" his phone and now uses it as a hotspot for free

Jailbreaking is the iPhone's version. I have my phone jailbroken, which allows me to tether to my laptop, ipad, or whatever uses internet. If you still have the original unlimited data plan that is the best.

JDay
12-09-2010, 1:08 PM
Not exactly.

On the X you have three options.

1. Pay for the Hotspot fee ($20/mo)
2. Root and use another Tethering app ($FREE) (what I do)
3. Root, then flash the NVRAM with a hack that allows the Verizon Hotspot to work w/o paying for it (This one is pretty much piracy and criminal, so I don't advise it).

Option 4. Root the phone then flash a custom firmware that has a working wireless hotspot app.

How exactly is flashing your NVRAM piracy? Anyone can compile Android from source.

JDay
12-09-2010, 1:10 PM

You shouldn't be though since you're being extorted out of another $20/month to use a data service that you already pay for.

JDay
12-09-2010, 1:12 PM

It's not the same thing, jailbreaking allows you to install apps that aren't in the app store on an iphone/ipad/ipod, Android devices allow you to do this by default. When you root your phone you are giving yourself administrative rights to the underlying OS, this allows you to do anything you want with the device.

TonyM
12-09-2010, 1:28 PM
Option 4. Root the phone then flash a custom firmware that has a working wireless hotspot app.

How exactly is flashing your NVRAM piracy? Anyone can compile Android from source.

Nope.

The hotspot apps are all ad-hoc networks, other than the carrier supplied apps. My point is that many devices don't connect to ad-hoc networks.

Flashing the NVRAM with the bits to allow free unlimited use of the Verizon hotspot app is theft, like it or not.

Good luck compiling the kernel and bootloader on the X and actually applying it w/o the keys that are held by M.

Do you have an X and have you ever run any of the "custom" ROMs on an X? I've tried about all of them.

valkylrie
12-13-2010, 6:38 PM
I rooted my droid 1, and use this app from google for wifi tethering on my wifi only Ipad...
http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

Since Android is open source and this is hosted by Google and I already pay verizon for an unlimited data plan, I just don't see how this is not OKAY.