PDA

View Full Version : Rebarreling my Savage 111 270 to a 358 win help

Deja-Vu
12-08-2010, 10:04 AM
I want to buy and mount a Adams & Bennett 358 Winchester Barrel in to my Savage 111 270. What I need to know is will I need a new mag or any other parts for the gun to do this and if so were can I get them?

Fjold
12-08-2010, 3:58 PM
You can get away without changing the magbox most of the time when converting from a long action cartridge to a short action cartridge when you are going to a case that is the same diameter as the original one. The 358 and 270 are basically the same diameter) But, some people have feeding issues because the shorter cartridge can move back and forth in the mag box. I've never had the problem myself but others have.

It should be just a straight barrel change.

Deja-Vu
12-08-2010, 4:46 PM
You can get away without changing the magbox most of the time when converting from a long action cartridge to a short action cartridge when you are going to a case that is the same diameter as the original one. The 358 and 270 are basically the same diameter) But, some people have feeding issues because the shorter cartridge can move back and forth in the mag box. I've never had the problem myself but others have.

It should be just a straight barrel change.

Thanks Fjold

kendog4570
12-08-2010, 6:56 PM
I want to buy and mount a Adams & Bennett 358 Winchester Barrel in to my Savage 111 270. What I need to know is will I need a new mag or any other parts for the gun to do this and if so were can I get them?

Fjold nailed it for your project, but FYI
I did some 223 to 308 switch barrel conversions a while back, and the best place for all the necessary parts was direct to Savage (except the bolts, which I already had from ebay, back when they allowed them). The lady who took my order was also VERY knowledgeable about which part, mag box, etc., can interchange with which.

Fjold
12-08-2010, 7:30 PM
You can try the vendor section at SavageShooters.com also for OEM and aftermarket parts.