PDA

View Full Version : Question about zeroing scope

chiburi
12-08-2010, 9:51 AM
Hi all,

Took my boy out the other day with his MP 15-22, that rifle is wonderful. he loves it!

Well, I realized my eyes are going, as the Sightmark 1/5 - 5x40mm scope appeared to work for him, but I couldn't see the holes in the target at 50 yards.

Thanks to all (from another thread) who recommended the MP 15-22. I think we put about 300 rounds through it, and were flawlessly every time. This weekend going to shoot the AR15 (me) and he'll have his trusty gun - they look and "act" very similarly.

Anyway, on to my question. I was trying to zero in the scope, and it just took forever (1/4moa click-turns on it). Anyway, I was under the impression the knob on the top of the was for moving the reticle up and down, while the knob on the side of the scope was for left and right adjustments.

Yes, I would have read the manual if the dumb box had come with one, so I guessed from my old days with scopes 30 years ago (when I was 10).

Anyway, is there a thread floating around here indicating the general "how to" of scopes / alignment? I could have sworn the knob on top was for up and down elevation, with the side knob for side-to-side / wind. thanks all!

I must have turned the knob from -0- to about 7 to finally get it sighted, but I think I'm missing something.

thanks again, yep - still a newbie (took a heatious from guns for 25 years!)

Chib

AndrewMendez
12-08-2010, 10:12 AM
What type of scope are you using? Make/model? You can probably find the manual online.

Homebrew2
12-08-2010, 11:43 AM
The top knob should be for elevation. When you look at the dial it should indicate "up" and an arrow for which way to turn it. "Up" means, move the point of impact up.
The scope "should" come from the factory with the dials centered. None of the ones I have bought have been. 7 turns may or may not be a lot.
I can't see holes in a black target so I print targets that just have skinny black circles or a scrap paper with a small (~1") solid black dot for sighting in.

chiburi
12-08-2010, 12:32 PM
ok, this thing is working opposite. Very weird!

chib

G-forceJunkie
12-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Is your scope 90 degress off? The windage should be on the right side (looking from behind the rifle in the shooting position) and elevation on top.

freonr22
12-08-2010, 12:39 PM
[QUOTE=freonr22;4713045]what scope? is it a snowwis? like this one?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/Guns/pix798743390.jpg

just poking at you :) here is a good read

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=263710

chiburi
12-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Hi,

No, it's a SightMark (mentioned in the first post) a 1.5-5x30mm. So, you guessed it, it was delivered in the same fashion as the pics - so the knob on top is the wind, and the one on the LEFT is elevation. Funny, not sure why they would have put it in the rings and delivered it this way! Thanks, that solves my issue. Man, do I feel like a dumb---.

So, now that it's on, I turn the knob to the "Right" and the crosshairs go left. When I turn the knob to go "up" it brings the reticle down.......

chib

scootle
12-08-2010, 2:55 PM
what scope? is it a snowwis? like this one?

haha, that is great! :D

to the OP, print out one of these targets to help you sight-in... it makes it easier at distance:

http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files/Short%20Range%20Scope%20Target.pdf

there are other targets on that site as well, if you want a different pattern.

pennys dad
12-08-2010, 7:56 PM
U have the scope on wrong. the knob for r to left should be on the side not the top.
The dot that is aligned with the magnification number 5 should be visible from the top not the side.
When you go to sight in since it may be skewed crazy right now, use a HUGE target and shoot groups of 4

chiburi
12-08-2010, 8:37 PM
thank you!

Izzy43
12-08-2010, 9:07 PM
Here's a bullet saving tip to zero your scope. Place a soda can or something of similiar size on the ground 25 yds away and set the scope to its minimum magnification. Shoot at the can and you will be able to see if the bullet is high/low and left/right. Adjust your scope accordingly until you can hit the can. Then move to a target, adjust your magnification to maximum to fine tune your zero.

Remember if your scope has 1/4 moa adjustments per click that means 1/4" per click at 100 yds, 1/8" at 50 yds and 1/16" @ 25 yds. So to move the bullet impact 1" at 25 yds will take 16 clicks. Good luck.

scootle
12-08-2010, 10:38 PM
I picked up a cheap laser boresighter for like $30 that I just toss in my bag. It's a "cheap" way to get your scope dialed in to at least hit paper on the first range visit. Moreso for larger calibers than .22LR though. ;)

Gridded targets of whatever flavor are the way to do it though... makes it a LOT easier to be able to see what adjustments you need from your bench position. On a good day, you can zero it all out in maybe 2-3 groups of 3 shots each.

Some people claim they can do the zero in 2 shots total, but that requires a complete rest setup, or someone who is rock stable with holding the rifle steady after one shot and then adjusting the sight to line up with the first bullet hole. I doubt most people can do that reliably... well maybe Izzy can... :whistling:

Izzy43
12-09-2010, 6:01 AM
I picked up a cheap laser boresighter for like $30 that I just toss in my bag. It's a "cheap" way to get your scope dialed in to at least hit paper on the first range visit. Moreso for larger calibers than .22LR though. ;)

Gridded targets of whatever flavor are the way to do it though... makes it a LOT easier to be able to see what adjustments you need from your bench position. On a good day, you can zero it all out in maybe 2-3 groups of 3 shots each.

Some people claim they can do the zero in 2 shots total, but that requires a complete rest setup, or someone who is rock stable with holding the rifle steady after one shot and then adjusting the sight to line up with the first bullet hole. I doubt most people can do that reliably... well maybe Izzy can... :whistling:

No, Izzy can't. Well maybe.

pennys dad
12-10-2010, 10:59 AM
did you get things fixed?

Hi,

No, it's a SightMark (mentioned in the first post) a 1.5-5x30mm. So, you guessed it, it was delivered in the same fashion as the pics - so the knob on top is the wind, and the one on the LEFT is elevation. Funny, not sure why they would have put it in the rings and delivered it this way! Thanks, that solves my issue. Man, do I feel like a dumb---.

So, now that it's on, I turn the knob to the "Right" and the crosshairs go left. When I turn the knob to go "up" it brings the reticle down.......

chib

DirtNapKing
12-10-2010, 11:32 AM
That's almost as bad as forgetting to turn the fuel tank switch on for your dirt bike. Of course it only happens when everybody is around. Delete the incriminating photos and ask that the thread be cancelled. Case solved by Pennys Dad. Nice work! :D:D:D

ja308
12-10-2010, 2:14 PM
I like to post a 1" circle or square at 25 yards.
Shoot lots of rounds w/o changing sight picture --- locate center of group and measure in inches the distance to center of target. Elevation and windage --- each 1 inch at 25 yards equals 4moa --- or every 1/4 inch equals 1 minute .
So if your 3 inches low 12 minutes
Check settings on scope is it 1/4 ? if so 12X4 = 60 clicks
option 2 --sign on for an appleseed clinic ---- www.rwva.org and learn everything about zeroing any rifle
ja308
ja308

j1133s
12-10-2010, 2:18 PM
I like to post a 1" circle or square at 25 yards.
Shoot lots of rounds w/o changing sight picture --- locate center of group and measure in inches the distance to center of target. Elevation and windage --- each 1 inch at 25 yards equals 4moa --- or every 1/4 inch equals 1 minute .
So if your 3 inches low 12 minutes
Check settings on scope is it 1/4 ? if so 12X4 = 60 clicks
option 2 --sign on for an appleseed clinic ---- www.rwva.org and learn everything about zeroing any rifle
ja308
ja308

option 3 -- go to a range when not busy and ask for help. I helped many zero their scopes when I was RO.

Izzy43
12-10-2010, 4:00 PM
option 3 -- go to a range when not busy and ask for help. I helped many zero their scopes when I was RO.

Great suggestion. I was at my range about a month ago and there was a guy there trying to zero his new Savage shooting Wincester 300 magnums (them suckers are about $2.50 a round). The scope was a Bushnell Elite 3200. After about 25 rounds I asked him if I could help by spotting for him. Well he was shooting 2 feet high and his elevation was bottomed out, no more adjustment. Turns out the gunsmith (and shop) that sold him his new $1200 rig installed the scope mount backwards so it had a huge downward tilt. I think I should go into the scope mounting business. Anyway he left the range grumbling some nasty words about the gun shop. Wasted about $100 in ammo.

Lots of knowledgeable folks at some ranges. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

chiburi
12-10-2010, 4:49 PM
all great suggestions, thank you. I think leaving the thread open is good for future newbies (and a reminder for myself) when looking at a scope just out of the box, and trying to figure out why they shipped it 90 degrees off!

Anyway, I have no notion of being very knowledgable when it comes to scopes, and quite a few other things (my wife just said "amen" in her head, I know it!)

I suppose the one thing I have going is I can hit a bullseye quite often - took a pic of my first shot at an indoor range (ventilation was on) from 50 yards. Dead center bullseye, was thrilled with it (yes, this is after I got the scope "on" correctly...)

Thanks again all!

chib

1lostinspace
12-10-2010, 4:53 PM
Hi,

chib

ahahahah sorry I had to laugh

ja308
12-12-2010, 2:12 AM
j1133s
yes I agree every gun owner should belong to a range/gun club .
Many ROs are gun culture too -- although once in while it's possible find some lacking in even basic firearm knowledge .
TY for the suggestion .
BTW one lifetime is not long enough to learn the gun culture.

chiburi
12-14-2010, 1:25 PM
Got it worke out. Guys at the range were great! Loving this scope!