PDA

View Full Version : Off list rifle Friendly Ranges

USP
07-11-2006, 7:41 AM
I tried searching but couldnt find anything on this. Maybe we could get a list going for off list friendly ranges.

I just built my ar up and would like to know about the ones in the IE. Like the redlands range and lytle creek.

ja391
07-11-2006, 7:58 AM
I know you said you wanted to hear about ranges near IE and Angeles Range is pretty far, but I thought I'd let you know anyway.

I've shot my off list rifle at Angeles Shooting Range several times, and the Rangemasters don't mind. For the cease fires I would keep the upper and lower broke open with the bolt pulled bag. Sometimes one of the rangemasters would ask if the mag can be removed, but once I let them know that it's pinned they didn't mind.

ocabj
07-11-2006, 8:14 AM
You're fine at Inland Fish and Game. While it's not a rule at IFG, I wish people who are shooting fixed mag ARs would use an open bolt indicator / chamber safety flag.

I don't know why any range would not allow an off list built AR.

HillBilly
07-11-2006, 8:32 AM
I took my offlister to the creek a few months back, when this was all still pretty new. I asked the RO if he had any issues with it...and he literally said "I don't give an #$@% what you shoot...".

xrMike
07-11-2006, 8:35 AM
I asked the RO if he had any issues with it...and he literally said "I don't give an #$@% what you shoot...".Heheh, you gotta love an attitude like that; I would've bought that man a soda for saying that to me.

williamkwong
07-11-2006, 8:40 AM
I know up in the Bay Area, Chabot is pretty good with it.

Can someone list the others. I am curious about Los Altos and San Leandro. :)

gose
07-11-2006, 9:29 AM

Well, Chabot doesn't even seem to care if you shoot an OLL in illegal configuration ;)

rorschach
07-11-2006, 9:47 AM
I've shot my offlist AR's, and Cali-legal HK clone at Burro Canyon here in SoCal. I have seen other Cali compliant guns there, as well as rifles I know were illegally built. The infamous "preban Stag's". The kids who run the range dont seem to care, as long as everyone obeys the range commands.

Harbinger
07-11-2006, 9:47 AM
Most of the R.O.s at LR&G (Livermore Rod and Gun) are cool about it.

They've also gotten over their irrational fear of steel CASED rounds. Now it's just a matter of testing for a magnet attracting bullet which, due to a possible steel core, could start a fire in those bone-dry, stone-filled fields.

Mike

x2delight
07-11-2006, 10:14 AM
The range master at Inland Fish and Game is a really nice guy.. hes all for fun and doesnt really mind what you shoot. I think as long as you arent rapid firing you are alright.

moulton
07-11-2006, 10:19 AM
Cirle S ranch range up in two rock is fine with 'em

Grakken
07-11-2006, 10:35 AM
I dont know about you guys but im not saying anything because the DOJ will steal my pies if I do. PM me if u live in San Diego.

blkA4alb
07-11-2006, 10:40 AM
Richmond has been fine with it, I just break it open during the cease fires.

Dump1567
07-11-2006, 10:44 AM
If you want indoor (25 yards), On-Target in Laguna Niguel. They let you shoot regular rifle rounds. Their policy is legality of guns is the gun owners responsibility.

grammaton76
07-11-2006, 11:13 AM
Iron Sights, up in Oceanside, is very OLL friendly. That's in the San Diego area, for anyone who doesn't pay much attention to local city names. :)

REDHORSE
07-11-2006, 11:17 AM
Lytle Creek (http://www.maxyum.com/lytlecreek/index.htm) & West End Gun Club (http://www.wegc.org/) are OLL friendly.

NRAhighpowershooter
07-11-2006, 11:30 AM
San Leandro Davis St. Range is fine too.... I just use a NRA OBI......

magmaster
07-11-2006, 11:50 AM
San Gabriel range is friendly with OLL and pre ban. I was there Sunday and there must have been 5 or 6 AR15's and a handfull of AK's. One guy was even rockin' the Beta mag. I saw one kid there with an OLL that was a fresh build and an A1 upper. I felt his pain when he had a jam...

Geoff C
07-11-2006, 12:47 PM
Livermore-Pleasanton Rod & Gun Club was cool with my OLL this past weekend. The range officers are nice guys. One of them stopped by and chatted with me about my guns. He seemed more interested in the FN49 than the OLL. :) I was thankful for the shade given the ~100 deg temps.

On my way out I saw a Fab-10 and an SU-16. The guy shooting the Fab-10 looked a bit scared of it, so I'm guessing it was new. The guy next to him had to remind him to keep his eyes open when firing. :p

xenophobe
07-11-2006, 1:40 PM
From what I heard from the store is that Metcalf is not allowing people to shoot OLLs...

rips31
07-11-2006, 1:47 PM

los altos is fine at the 40yd tin can and rifle range. just break open during cease-fire.

Mudvayne540ld
07-11-2006, 5:07 PM
Burro Canyon is great for OLL's

Plus you can rapidfire..... or at least I have never been told not to, or yelled at :)

wuhungsix
07-11-2006, 5:17 PM
Rancho Cordova Shooting Center (Sacramento Co.) ROs don't care.:)

Ken4
07-12-2006, 12:00 PM
los altos is fine at the 40yd tin can and rifle range. just break open during cease-fire.

That's good to hear. I have two OLL's that I just finished building up and needs to be sighted in. :D

tpliquid1
07-12-2006, 1:09 PM
From what I heard from the store is that Metcalf is not allowing people to shoot OLLs...

buddy of my went past weekend with OLL , no problems. maybe they didnt see him use his OLL?

mailman
07-12-2006, 1:15 PM
the guys at the Los Altos range up in the hills said "we love to see that **** here!"

Ken4
07-12-2006, 1:16 PM
Oh man! That's great! :D

tygerpaw
07-12-2006, 3:27 PM
Yolo Sportsmans Association in Woodland doesnt bother anyone about what they shoot as long as they are being safe and absolutely NO RAPID FIRE.......

In fact they even have a sheet on the bulletin board that says "So you want an AR-15 in California?" and it gives a brief explanation and a link to Calguns.net.

grammaton76
07-12-2006, 3:44 PM
What, you mean the one that's linked to in my sig? Rock on! I've been wondering how far that thing has travelled... :)

Drifter721
07-12-2006, 10:02 PM

As usual, complete nonsense BS coming from Xenophobe/San Jose Gun Exchange. Nothing has changed there in 20 years. I still can't get over you guys selling $75 lowers to the general public for $250, and failing to inform anyone that these lowers may be illegal to build into rifles. F'ing crooks.

TonyM
07-12-2006, 10:18 PM
As usual, complete nonsense BS coming from Xenophobe/San Jose Gun Exchange. Nothing has changed there in 20 years. I still can't get over you guys selling $75 lowers to the general public for $250, and failing to inform anyone that these lowers may be illegal to build into rifles. F'ing crooks.

Wow. I personally don't shop there (way too far away to even bother), but I doubt that anyone is twisting your arm to shop there. No reason to call someone out and slander a company just because you don't like them. If you don't like the prices, don't shop there. They are in business and can set their prices as they wish. Do you complain about prices everywhere you go? If so, please talk to Cingular for me, I'd like my bill lowered.

CowtownBallin
07-12-2006, 10:55 PM
YSA in Woodland is very OLL friendly

mailman
07-13-2006, 1:29 PM

:rolleyes: Xenophobe has probably forgotten more than you will ever learn, he is one of the most knowledgeable people on this site and the SJGE does nothing but help law abiding people like ourselves obtain OLL of all sorts.

edit-they sell the prince mag lock kit which clearly states that it has not been approved by the DOJ in any way.

xenophobe
07-13-2006, 1:52 PM
Mailman, thanks for the support.

I don't work at the Gun Exchange. Someone at Metcalf told one of their customers NO. Guess that's too difficult a puzzle for you to understand?

You have some mental health issues, perhaps your shrink can subdue the voices in your head with the proper medication.

kthx

xenophobe
07-13-2006, 1:54 PM
Politely disagree. I've seen OLLs there, with one of the ROs helping what looked like a new shooter (or at least chatting with a shooter who had even fewer clues than I do). Another time, I talked to one of the ROs about them. He said they've seen quite a few of them, they are starting to outnumber the traditional (presumably registered) AWs. He himself owns a registered AW, and let me fire a few shots through it. Nice guy.

Good to hear that LA R&G welcomes OLLs. Once I build up a lower, I can take the short drive over there.

There is one RO there that won't let them shoot. I don't know who it is, nor do I shoot enough there to ask and find out. I don't know who they denied, but I don't doubt someone was told no.

gose
07-13-2006, 5:24 PM

Actually, when I was there they were very informative about the legal issues around OLLs, almost to the point of annoying me ;)

tankerman
07-13-2006, 6:42 PM
There is one RO there that won't let them shoot. I don't know who it is, nor do I shoot enough there to ask and find out. I don't know who they denied, but I don't doubt someone was told no.
I heard that so and so said this and that and voices in my head and I forgot more than I forgot, but I don't doubt it's true. Blah blah blah

xenophobe
07-13-2006, 7:35 PM
I heard that so and so said this and that and voices in my head and I forgot more than I forgot, but I don't doubt it's true. Blah blah blah

And your opinion should mean what to me? *shrug*

kilword
07-13-2006, 7:41 PM
united sportsman inc in concord doesnt care.

eman_308
07-13-2006, 10:34 PM
Los Altos is pretty cool with pretty much anything as long as you observe the safety rules and don't act all stupid. They'll sweat you even if you're just shooting a slingshot irresponsibly!

williamkwong
07-13-2006, 10:56 PM
San Leandro Davis St. Range is fine too.... I just use a NRA OBI......

NRA OBI?

But I probably wont shoot there often since they dont allow FMJ on the 100yd.

thmpr
07-13-2006, 11:04 PM
Metcalf has no issues with OLL. I shoot there 2-3 times a week with various OLL complete rilfes (Non mixed brands). They actually know me by first name basis. I have been going there since February. They dont care what you bring as long as your safe and pay attention to the rules. There is a Sheriff who shoots there every Thursday and has no issues with the OLL as long as your not shooting in an unsafe manner and that goes for any firearm; registered or non-AW. The Sheriff actually shot my rifle because he wanted to try the NF scope I had. I hope that clears any rumors about Metcalf.

For Los Altos, they dont care what you shoot as long as your shooting in a safe manner.

Chabot.... we all know they dont care since we just had the BBQ shoot out there a few weeks back....

And lastly, Xeno is a good guy to talk to about firearms. He is a straight shooter in my book.

tankerman
07-14-2006, 5:13 AM
"And lastly, Xeno is a good guy to talk to about firearms. He is a straight shooter in my book".
THMPR.
You were able to articulate your point without the use of secondhand information, wild accusations or putdowns. Can't say the same for "straight shooter"

I have expirienced his tongue prior to this discussion, and it just gets old.

tpliquid1
07-14-2006, 8:23 AM

hearsay is never approved in the court room :)

mailman
07-14-2006, 9:21 AM
hahahahahahaha

xenophobe
07-14-2006, 9:28 AM
I have expirienced his tongue prior to this discussion, and it just gets old.

*yawn*

Blah blah blah

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/3360/pic87xl.png

mailman
07-14-2006, 9:37 AM
*yawn*

I second that motion!

bwiese
07-14-2006, 9:42 AM
As usual, complete nonsense BS coming from Xenophobe/San Jose Gun Exchange

Xeno is no longer working there, just 'friends of the business'.

And I dare say just one of his posts has more informational content than the sum of all your posts.

A certain Metcalf RO may or may not have had issues w/OLL rifles.

. Nothing has changed there in 20 years. I still can't get over you guys selling $75 lowers to the general public for $250,

Yep, nothing's changed: generally good pricing, friendly atmosphere, one of the best gunsmiths around, etc.

If you don't like their price, go somehwere else. You won't find one in the bay area unless you maybe find an 'order it yourself' FFL transfer dealer.

But these are one of the few FFLs that sells lowers as 'standard stocked items', right on the shelf. As a full service gunshop doing biz for the long term, they'll get max attention from DOJ. It was only a few months ago, remember, that the DOJ was harrassing OLL FFL dealers with aggressive audits that had, in essence, all the characteristics of 'raids'. Those 'audits' involved the shop shutting down for nearly a day (or more?) with consequent loss of business.

and failing to inform anyone that these lowers may be illegal to build into rifles. F'ing crooks.

May be illegal to build into rifles? Not at all. You are unclear on the concept.
They are illegal to build into rifles only n certain configurations, and SJGE indeed offers guidance how to stay legal.

Stop talkin' thru your arse.

mailman
07-14-2006, 9:48 AM

I bite my thumb at u sir

tankerman
07-14-2006, 10:04 AM
*yawn*

Darn my feelings are soooo hurt, I'm gonna tell mommy.

tpliquid1
07-14-2006, 10:10 AM
i love innernet fighting.

mailman
07-14-2006, 10:20 AM
my father in law went to the sunnyvale R & G yesterday and had no problems, looking older might change things though, hmm....

Drifter721
07-19-2006, 9:33 AM
Xeno is no longer working there, just 'friends of the business'.

And I dare say just one of his posts has more informational content than the sum of all your posts.

A certain Metcalf RO may or may not have had issues w/OLL rifles.

Yep, nothing's changed: generally good pricing, friendly atmosphere, one of the best gunsmiths around, etc.

If you don't like their price, go somehwere else. You won't find one in the bay area unless you maybe find an 'order it yourself' FFL transfer dealer.

But these are one of the few FFLs that sells lowers as 'standard stocked items', right on the shelf. As a full service gunshop doing biz for the long term, they'll get max attention from DOJ. It was only a few months ago, remember, that the DOJ was harrassing OLL FFL dealers with aggressive audits that had, in essence, all the characteristics of 'raids'. Those 'audits' involved the shop shutting down for nearly a day (or more?) with consequent loss of business.

May be illegal to build into rifles? Not at all. You are unclear on the concept.
They are illegal to build into rifles only n certain configurations, and SJGE indeed offers guidance how to stay legal.

Stop talkin' thru your arse.

Obviously you have no idea of the bad reputation the San Jose Gun Exchange has in this area. I've been a shooter/collector/firearms instructor for over 20 years in the area and know how these guys operate first hand and from their ex-customers.

You can spend $5000 in that store and when you walk out the door they will all be laughing at what an idiot you are. I've been in the store when they did that to an elderly guy that trusted he was getting a reasonable price on a couple of hunting rifles. They didn't even care that I was hearing it. I walked out and never looked back or set foot in that store again.

One of their ex-employees told me about how they rip off widows on a regular basis, giving them .25 cents on the dollar for their deceased husband's collection. How would you like that?

Dealer cost on these AR type lowers is $70-$75. How much profit is the SJGE making at $250 per? That's a 333% markup! DD's Ranch on line sells them for $99 retail.

I would not set foot in that store if I were you.

stickman
07-19-2006, 9:42 AM
A buddy of mine did go shoot his OLL with his son at Los Altos several weeks ago on the tin can range with no issues...

Brian

Joe
07-19-2006, 10:43 AM
i was at richmond on saturday with my SRB/detachable mag rifle and no one seemed to care. sighted in my scope and enjoyed my first time shooting my rifle.

bwiese
07-19-2006, 10:44 AM
Obviously you have no idea of the bad reputation the San Jose Gun Exchange has in this area. I've been a shooter/collector/firearms instructor for over 20 years in the area and know how these guys operate first hand and from their ex-customers.

I know a lot of people that are happy, too. I don't think any store can offer 100% satisfaction. I and others bought stuff there I'm happy with. And if I tire of it I can sell/trade it back at a reasonable non-crap price.

They have one of the best gunsmiths around. His prices are reasonable, and his time estimates are reasonable too (he's usu overbooked but his knows his pace).

One of their ex-employees told me about how they rip off widows on a regular basis, giving them .25 cents on the dollar for their deceased husband's collection. How would you like that?

Well, that's an ex-employee. I'd want the info from someone more reliable than someone with a possible prior beef, and his idea of value might well be screwy too.

A dealer only survives via buy-low/sell-hi. THEY'RE A BUSINESS, NOT A CHARITY. The widow may well not have been able to sell in bulk (all items at once) anywhere else. She likely just wanted to get rid of the guns. Those guns then have to sit on the shelf for an extended time - taking heat, lights, real estate - before any profit comes out of them. Lotsa old guns just sit around and don't turn - lord knows I've seen a lot of old guns at SJGE. Those extended carrying costs alone are probably 1/4-1/3 the value of the gun.

Dealer cost on these AR type lowers is $70-$75. How much profit is the SJGE making at $250 per? That's a 333% markup! DD's Ranch on line sells them for $99 retail.

Irrelevant. DD's ranch is not a local dealer. You still need a transfer dealer in your area (unless you wanna drive a long distance), which is gonna add a markup.

Frankly SJGE is balls-out handling these lowers as standard-stocked items in inventory, which I'm sure p*sses off DOJ.

If you don't like the price, you can trot around and make your own arrangements. Maybe your time isn't worth too much. If I were buying an OLL now, I'd pay $30+ extra to just go to a store and buy the item and not have to waste time ordering here, there, finding a cooperative FFL, etc. These are things you HAD to do in the early days. But not everyone liked to go to secret FFLs with a 1 hour window, etc. for group buys. That was great when the OLL craze began as it "got 'er done". Some of that price compensates them for the risk of a more aggressive audit from DOJ that could well shut the store down for a day + of lost business.

You apparently don't like profit. Socialism is nice, eh?

I would not set foot in that store if I were you.

Yeah, it's a pretty dangerous place. I might find something I like. The Ruger 50th Blackhawk in 44Mag is beckoning.

m24armorer
07-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Advice to Drifter, seek a non profit gunshop. They always have the best deals. I do know that the overhead of someone who does not have a retail location lets them sell for less. So shop there!

tpliquid1
07-21-2006, 9:43 AM
Advice to Drifter, seek a non profit gunshop. They always have the best deals. I do know that the overhead of someone who does not have a retail location lets them sell for less. So shop there!

any1 know where i can find this non profit shop? i dont like paying retail for anything.

xenophobe
07-21-2006, 2:07 PM
Update on Metcalf. It was not a regular employee but a volunteer rangemaster... And yes, this DID happen. It was some old guy who probably would will give you mean looks if your rifle didn't have a wood stock or a leupold on it... Either that or one of our customers was lying to our faces.

You can spend $5000 in that store and when you walk out the door they will all be laughing at what an idiot you are.

That's a downright lie.

Bullcrap. We generally pay 40-60 cents on the retail dollar for used guns. Less for items that will sit around a year or two... more for something highly collectible. On trade-ins, many times we give 80% or more.

Not that it should matter, but we had receivers in stock for sale in January... before any retail store in California would sell them, except for Wes @ 10%. Except when he stopped, we started. So at the time we were the ONLY retail store selling them. Do I think our receiver prices are high? Yes, and I've argued to the owner about this. He's still waiting for the DOJ to come in and harass us, and he says that's what he wants. If you don't like it, but it somewhere else for cheaper. We'll still do the transfer.

And... Why don't we pay 100% of retail when buying someone's firearm? Guess you didn't do very well in school, did you?

Dealer cost is sometimes much more than that. Lauer and High Standard are not that cheap, and next day shipping isn't cheap. A lot of the receivers we've bought were from Cold War Shooters. Look at their prices. Not really in that $70-$75 pipe dream range you're living in?

Also, we do transfers for DD's Ranch, Cold War Shooters, Spreadfire Arms... Feel free to buy from us, or just use us as a transfer dealer.

We also offer 3 month no-charge lay-a-way. Special orders on roughly 25% deposit. Lay-a-ways for special orders? Name one other bay area store that does this?

And for the record, yes, I'm back at the shop part time.

gose
07-21-2006, 2:23 PM
My initial experience with SJGE wasn't the best, but the last two visits have been very positive. Too bad it's a 45 min drive (with decent traffic).