PDA

View Full Version : I need a new TV and suggestions on the cable

bubbapug1
12-07-2010, 10:17 PM
My old sony 35" big screen, and I mean BIG boxy old school TV died. Now what? I haven't looked at TV's in over twenty years.

I have heard samsung LCD's with 120 hz refresh rates are great. Any other suggestions?

I have one huge issue. When I had the floor done in Travertine I was at work when they did the wall with the cable. I don't want the TV on that wall any longer, but I don't want to rip up the wall to reroute the cable to the new flat screen. Are there things like re-transmitters wireless I can use to minimize the wire issues?

reggie 00
12-08-2010, 8:36 PM
House on a slab?

Attic?

You'll find getting the Cable to the right wall will be much easier than deciding on the perfect Display.

MikeinnLA
12-09-2010, 1:05 AM
I've been shopping TVs lately and SONY is running a deal on a few 46"-55" models and throwing in a free Playstation 3. Other than games, it is also a Blu-Ray/DVD player, so that's a nice bonus. I have also heard great things about the Samsungs and liked their picture quality at the store.

Mike

ChrisTKHarris
12-09-2010, 1:13 AM
Samsung LED LCD or Panny Plasma, these are the only two you should consider. :)

bubbapug1
12-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Samsung LCD or LED...thats what I have heard from 90% of the people I ask..

Whats the diff between LCD and LED?

ChrisTKHarris
12-09-2010, 10:39 AM

LEDs use edge lighting and are made MUCH thinner than a standard LCD. They also run cooler (no heat). LEDs have very bright whites as well.

Outta Control
12-09-2010, 10:43 AM

It is not a question of differences from each other but LED is also LCD. LED means it is back-lit around the LCD screen.

"An LED TV is actually a kind of LCD TV that uses LEDs, or light-emitting diodes, instead of the standard fluorescent backlight to illuminate the screen. Some LED-based LCD TVs are extremely thin and some exhibit better picture quality than standard LCD TVs, and most are more-efficient to a greater or lesser extent. They're also also more-expensive." CNET

You should look into a plasma TV they offer much better picture quality than LCD. (120/240mhz LCD vs 600mhz plasma). I got my LG 50PK950 which is a highly rated plasma for less than 1K.

bubbapug1
12-09-2010, 11:49 AM
I really apprecaite it guys, Thanks a lot

Aldemar
12-09-2010, 12:31 PM
I've got a Panasonic Plasma 50" and love it except for one thing: refelections!!
LED/LCD's are not nearly as bad. On the other hand, Plasmas have a much greater viewing angle, LED/LCD's have a very narrow "sweet spot" as I recall.

My TV is 4 years old and still going strong.

ChrisTKHarris
12-09-2010, 12:37 PM
I've got a Panasonic Plasma 50" and love it except for one thing: refelections!!
LED/LCD's are not nearly as bad. On the other hand, Plasmas have a much greater viewing angle, LED/LCD's have a very narrow "sweet spot" as I recall.

My TV is 4 years old and still going strong.

Most LCDs have a viewing angle of 120 degrees, if you need to be able to see it at an angle greater than that, you most likely need to reconsider your seating arrangement all together. :)

DaveFJ80
12-09-2010, 3:18 PM
I like my new Samsung 65" LED TV that I just picked up. Great picture clarity and much easier on my eyes than my old Samsung 50" Plasma. And like others said, the LED is still a LCD panel but just lit up with LED lights around it instead of a tube light in the LCD TV housing.

The nice thing with newer TV is that you can use less connections to have a good video feed with multiple devices. On my old Plasma, I was running HDMI to my PS3, component cables to my receiver which bridged the DVD player and HD cable box (HDMI receivers were expensive back then), and I had a coax cable for analog TV so I could use PIP. Now with my current LED TV, I just use 1 HDMI cable and that's it. My receiver connects to the PS3, HD satellite receiver, and Blu-Ray player by HDMI so I don't need a bunch of extra things ran through the wall now.

The only thing I don't like on the LED/LCD TV's with 120Hz is the auto-motion when playing PS3 games like COD. The motion is really smooth, but gives me a headache after awhile when playing. That and the picture color really fades a lot when you go more than 45 degrees on the side viewing. For the best picture on the LED/LCD TV, you need to sit in front of it. On my Plasma, I could be at any angle and see the same picture.

Here's my new 65" LED Samsung (cabinet is 72" long)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/mugenef8/TV/Samsung65LED.jpg

And for reference, here was my old 50" Samsung Plasma

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/mugenef8/TV/Samsung50Plasma.jpg

DaveFJ80
12-09-2010, 3:22 PM
And as others said about the thickness, here's a quick reference of a Plasma (or LCD) TV that's approx 4" thick, compared to a LED TV that's approx 1" thick.

I'm using the same wall bracket (just removed it from the Plasma and bolted it to the LED) so you can see the LED really tucks up closer to the wall. Much closer to where you can't really reach behind it to plug anything else into the side ports on the LED.

Plasma/LCD casing

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/mugenef8/TV/Samsung_Side_Plasma.jpg

LED casing

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/mugenef8/TV/Samsung_Side_LED.jpg

ChrisTKHarris
12-09-2010, 3:22 PM
I like my new Samsung 65" LED TV that I just picked up. Great picture clarity and much easier on my eyes than my old Samsung 50" Plasma. And like others said, the LED is still a LCD panel but just lit up with LED lights around it instead of a tube light in the LCD TV housing.

The nice thing with newer TV is that you can use less connections to have a good video feed with multiple devices. On my old Plasma, I was running HDMI to my PS3, component cables to my receiver which bridged the DVD player and HD cable box (HDMI receivers were expensive back then), and I had a coax cable for analog TV so I could use PIP. Now with my current LED TV, I just use 1 HDMI cable and that's it. My receiver connects to the PS3, HD satellite receiver, and Blu-Ray player by HDMI so I don't need a bunch of extra things ran through the wall now.

The only thing I don't like on the LED/LCD TV's with 120Hz is the auto-motion when playing PS3 games like COD. The motion is really smooth, but gives me a headache after awhile when playing. That and the picture color really fades a lot when you go more than 45 degrees on the side viewing. For the best picture on the LED/LCD TV, you need to sit in front of it. On my Plasma, I could be at any angle and see the same picture.

Here's my new 65" LED Samsung (cabinet is 72" long)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/mugenef8/TV/Samsung65LED.jpg

And for reference, here was my old 50" Samsung Plasma

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/mugenef8/TV/Samsung50Plasma.jpg

Nice upgrade Dave! :)

RedFord150
12-09-2010, 3:40 PM
Plasma is not a good choice for brightly lit rooms or if direct sunlight will hit the TV. For this reason alone, I chose LCD for my house.
I have a few friends who bought Panasonic Plasmas and have not had a good experience. Lots of repair issues. In the past, I have bought a lot of panasonic products and been very pleased. I am not inclined to 'Bash' Panasonic.
Samsung and Sony LCD are my first picks. Sharp and Toshiba if you want to save a little money. Maganavox and Phillips if you want to save a lot of money.
Good luck.

ZX-10R
12-09-2010, 3:46 PM
Anything 50inch and greater (how big is your room and distance from viewer) and definitely HDMI to a SRD set up for pure acoustic heaven.