PDA

View Full Version : Remington ammo sucks.

Dubious_Beans
12-07-2010, 7:45 PM
Well, I bought some 22LR Remington ammo at wallyworld a few weeks ago. Got a Box of unplated 40g RN "Thunderbolt" and several boxes of Remington 36g HP "22 Golden Bullet"

REMINGTON SUCKS !!!!!!!!! Cough.. sorry, lemme clear my throat and try that again.... REMINGTON SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never seen any ammo that FTF's as much as this cr@p. About 20% of them are duds. Pull the trigger... and nothing. Nice deep dent on the rim, but no go.

Everyone else's ammo always works reliably in the T/C. But the Remington Golden, and Remington Thunderbolt ammo is pure trash.
Even when they bother to go off, the velocities are all over the place (you can HEAR the difference in loudness from one round to the next) and are always much lower than advertised.
I was so pissed today that I dragged out the chronograph out to see WTF.

I tested CCI Mini-Mag, Federal, Winchester, Remington Golden, Remington Thunderbolt. The chrono was about 8' from the muzzle of the rifle. I tested 25 of each item.

The rifle is a Thompson Center 22LR "Classic". It's reliable and accurate if I keep the Remington ammo away from it.

Here's the results of todays chrono testing:

http://www.weirdstuffwemake.com/blackhole/images/22LR_velocities.gif

I can remember when Remington was a reliable & well respected brand.
They suck now.

rromeo
12-07-2010, 7:59 PM
This isn't news.
That chart is cool though. Thanks for the data.

M1A Rifleman
12-07-2010, 8:07 PM
Well I won't go so far to say it sucks, but it won't run my Kimber 22 conversion as it will FTF with a full mag. I've had no problems in a 10/22.

G-Man WC
12-07-2010, 8:13 PM
Ahhh Golden and Thunder Turds. I bought a case of each a fews years ago and I'm now just around to using them. No misfires but I get a flier every 10-15 rounds or so.
I have 4 x FEDERAL CHAMPION 22LR PER 2100 W/DRY BOX from Cabela's on the way. I'm hoping for better results with this new batch for my 22 ammo stash. -g

Dubious_Beans
12-07-2010, 8:14 PM
Even without the FTF's, the velocities are all over the place and WAY lower than advertised. That just ain't right.

The FTF's don't don't impress me much either.

Remington sucks.

Dubious_Beans
12-07-2010, 8:18 PM
I have 4 x FEDERAL CHAMPION 22LR PER 2100 W/DRY BOX from Cabela's on the way. I'm hoping for better results with this new batch for my 22 ammo stash. -g

Dunno about the Federal Champion, but the Federal 550 round "Value Pack" ammo has been very good to me.

pilote
12-07-2010, 8:41 PM
thunderbolts are the very worst of all .22 ammo...filthy...it's like they're the rejects of their golden bullets.

federal bulk rounds fire, but they foul up your chamber real quick=jams...they're a pass for me.

when somebody says their gun eats any ammo, they're really saying "i only buy the cheapest ammo"...and there's your market for thunderbolts.

Dubious_Beans
12-07-2010, 8:51 PM
when somebody says their gun eats any ammo, they're really saying "i only buy the cheapest ammo"...and there's your market for thunderbolts.

Heh. I guess I can say my gun eats anything but Remington, and I won't be buying that anymore.

Cool Hand Luke
12-07-2010, 9:02 PM
Dunno about the Federal Champion, but the Federal 550 round "Value Pack" ammo has been very good to me.

Just shows how finicky 22s are. My 10/22 becomes a jamm-o-matic with Federal 36gr HP value pack ammo but will eat Remington GBs and TBs all day long.

BOFH
12-07-2010, 9:36 PM
All of my .22's will feed anything but with Remington they don't always go bang since Remington does not always include a primer ;-) I will buy anything but Remington.

Seesm
12-07-2010, 9:40 PM
My 22's all shoot "ok" with any ammo but once in awhile you still get a FTF and I just cycle the bolt and toss them...

jyo
12-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Ya know, it used to be that Remington "Golden Bullet" 22s were some of the best out there---unfortunately, over the years the quality of all Remington products seems to be in decline---both their guns and particularly their ammo appears to have gone badly downhill. Sorry to see.

rromeo
12-08-2010, 4:40 AM
I've never had a failure to fire , but they don't always cycle my Marlin.

ChaparralCommando
12-09-2010, 12:09 PM
The Golden Bullets shot well in my Buckmark, but those were stock from a few years ago. Only maybe 5 duds in the 525 ct box. Maybe their quality control is going downhill. Good to know.

sequoia_nomad
12-09-2010, 7:22 PM
Ya know, it used to be that Remington "Golden Bullet" 22s were some of the best out there---unfortunately, over the years the quality of all Remington products seems to be in decline---both their guns and particularly their ammo appears to have gone badly downhill. Sorry to see.

Not to mention the gold crap that gets all over the gun.

Eddie1965
12-09-2010, 7:30 PM
I've the same problem with Rem golden bullets, no problems with Federal.

Chunky_lover
12-16-2010, 7:55 AM
on a pump rifle they work great, on semi they suck for mine

ricardo
12-16-2010, 8:15 AM
good info but ive also had problems with remington and have switched to winchester

Bart1
12-16-2010, 9:18 AM
My Marlin loves the GB and hates the winchester stuff. CCI Stingers are awesome though...same rifle.

BRANCHER
12-16-2010, 9:56 AM
Every 22 pistol and rifle loves or hates different ammo... I shot almost an entire box yesterday of golden bulets in my S&W 2214 and 617... ok one was a revolver... 1 of 2 of my high standards loves it the other the cheap blue box federal... but then the other hates the federal... my sig mosquito only likes CCI mini mags... and only my S&W 41 likes Federal automatch... and most everthing else.

OK rifles shoot almost anything but groups size the don't... I get like 1 moa with wolf match... 3/4 with Eley Red and 1/2 with Lapua in my Annie... and forget about cheap ammo being better.. depending it can be as big as 5 MOA.. but some have been as good as 1.5 MOA... and my CZ and BRNO are just as picky...

So go find the ammo your guns like and don't worry about it...

hybridatsun350
12-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Remington Golden Bullet's are one of my favorite .22 rounds. They're cheap and they work (for me). In fact, Advantage Arms recommends that Remington Golden Bullet's be used in their .22 conversions.

firetalker
02-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Yes I can tell you Remington sucks, they donít stand behind their products, 3 weeks ago I was firing some of their 22 cal game loads with my Grand son in his Crickett Rifle, I asked him to let me shoot it, and on the second shot, the cartridge exploded through the back where the firing pin strikes it and all most put my eye out, even with my glasses on, upon examining the casing their was a small hole through the back just below the dent left by the firing pin, so I then examined the brass from earlier shots and found they all had a small bulge where the firing pin makes contact with the rim, so my first thought was it was a rifle problem, so I have 2 more Crickett rifles hear so I tried the ammo in them , and found the same problem, so I then went to my ammo box and pulled out a box of CCI mini mags, some Federal Golden Eagles, and some cheep Winchesters from Wally world, and all this ammo worked fine in all three rifles, no powder burns on the out side of the casings, and all had a dent where the firing pin strikes not a bulge like the Remingtonís, so being puzzled I then called Remington, and Crickett arms, Remington wanted the exploded brass back and any ammo I had left, and Crickett wanted the gun back for testing, it all sounded great, maybe some one was going to pay for my emergency room , call and my visit the next day to the eye spiciest, and maybe I might even get something for my 7 days on pain killers and lost time, yea right.
I will have to say Crickett was great about it all, within 5 days they had the rifle done their test, fired 200 rounds of Federal ammo through it, thatís all they use their, and found no problems with the rifle, but I expected that as it was 4 years old and has shot at least 700 rounds with out as much as a miss fire, and I had all ready tested it with other brands of ammo and had no problems, but anyway Crickett wanted to keep the Rifle because they were afraid it might have received some unseen stress and they didnít want to take a chance on a child ever firing it again, so they sent me a brand new Rifle for my Grand son, and all so included a scope for free for our trouble.
When the new rifle arrived I took it out back and lined it up and shot 50 rounds of Golden Eagle 22 LR through it, inspecting every bit of brass for anything out of the norm and every thing was great,
so having another box of this Remington 22 Game load 22 LR ammo I kept for my own testing with the same lot number as I sent back to Remington, decided to try some in this new Rifle, the first shot looked fine, clean brass, dent in the rim, no problems, the second shot sounded a little funny, I ejected the brass and found a 1/4 inch split up the side of the casing, the third shot, the brass showed signs of excessive heat to where the case had turned from brass color to that of steal, the fourth showed powder burns all around the out side of the casing.
I then cleaned the new Crickett, fired 4 CCI mini mags , 4 Golden Eagles , and 4 Winchesters through it and they all worked fine, so every thing I have learned in my 40 years of reloading, and 15 years as firearms dealer is telling me this ammo is junk, but I cant hear that from Remington because by this time its been 2 weeks and they havenít tested it yet, but finely after the threat of a law suit, they have the nerve to call me back, said they tested 31 rounds I sent them for Velocity and pressure, and they were all with in specs, they said they had a Cricket Rifle their but never tried any of the ammo in it, and the way it was made they thought the accident was caused by the firing pin and the Rifle company was at fault, when I explained to them the rifle had all ready been tested and was fine, and I had another cartridge that split down the side this time and had nothing to do with the firing pin, they had no excuse, and wanted me to send them all the ammo I had left so they could test the brass this time, I said yea right send you all the proof I have left, I guess not, I told them go call the sporting good store where I bought it and have them send you some, its still on the shelf where other people and CHILDREN can get hurt. Three different ammo dealers have seen these cartridges after firing and they all say anyone can see its the ammo when compared to other brands and they all say they have always had a problem getting Remington to stand behind their products, 2 of them told me they wont even stock Remington products unless some one ask for them, and they tell people when they order a Remington Rifle that they are not responsible for Remingtonís warranty being honored.
P.S. Oh yes I must give Remington credit where it is due, they did offer me a coupon for a new box of ammo, very big of them after $1,000.00 in medical bills and a week of taking pain killers.
I will be doing some more testing of this ammo in some other 22 cal guns and I will keep you updated. Ron

boboh110
11-08-2011, 7:11 AM
I wish I have heard about this before I had to experiance it first hand this weekend at my seven year olds thumbs expense. I guees its going to take a death for remington would own up to this. But I'm not stopping till somthing is done about this. This cricket rifle is geard for kids to learn how to shoot right? Keep kids interested in shooting and hunting,Right? Let the pics on Crickets facebook page and I posted the details of what happened on Louisiana Sportsman.com. In the fourm section under Hunting. Not gonna place the blame on Cricket or Remington till its been completly tested. As for now. NO CRICKET RIFLES OR REMINGTON BULLETS for my kids. We will continue to hunt and shoot like always. Not gonna stop my family from doing what we love to do and thats spending quality time in the outdoors as a family.

JAGACIDA
11-08-2011, 3:17 PM
Remington is too large and well funded to give a damn anymore. They are owned by Cerberus Capital Management. They've owned Marlin firearms since 2007 and the quality and workmanship has tailed off on that brand also. Personal experience.
Ask me about the nearly brand new Model 597M that sits in my basement after having been fired 30 times since 2003 with jamming issues, and yes I did all the tricks recommended by the folks at rimfire central.
I will never purchase another Remington anything or buy their ammo.They do indeed suck.

wtkaiser
11-08-2011, 3:42 PM
I've never heard such vehement ranting! There must be something to this. So after I shoot up this last box of RGB (which, at the present rate of consumption, should be about 2014) maybe I won't get another big box. That's the trouble with those big boxes. Yes, they're a bargain, but what if it's junk? If you get a bad lot of powder you can sprinkle it on your lawn. But ammunition?

It's a shame about Big Green going downhill. And I fear for my beloved Marlin, as well. I guess when they get that big, the cracks through which things fall get bigger and bigger.

shadow65
11-08-2011, 4:02 PM
That's why nearly any AR .22 manufacturer warns against it. Plus, it is extremely dirty and will gum up the action in a short time.
Dave N

REPR
11-08-2011, 7:25 PM
Have had similar experiences with remington myself. Tried them in my rifle years ago because they were all I could get at the time. At the range after the umpteenth ftf and stovepipe I decided never again. Since then it's mostly CCI Velocitor or Mini-Mags with a few other exceptions.

bloodhawke83
11-08-2011, 8:00 PM
.......I got a box left, only got it because it was cheap.

dandechino
11-08-2011, 8:39 PM
I was planning on bringing my bulk pack of golden bullets to an appleseed shoot.... not so good eh?

tvfreakarms
11-08-2011, 9:07 PM
Well sh*t i wish i knew this b4. I got a cmmg upper and bought some bulk remmy.
I hope i dont have any problems.
Anyone else with a cmmg upper having the same issues with remmy bulk ammo?

REPR
11-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Well sh*t i wish i knew this b4. I got a cmmg upper and bought some bulk remmy.
I hope i dont have any problems.
Anyone else with a cmmg upper having the same issues with remmy bulk ammo?

Haven't tried these personally but have had numerous friends say they work fantastic in their uppers and MP 15/22's.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=5&loadNo=0953

Think they run about 15-20 bucks for a box of 375. Which honestly seems reasonable for the range reports I've heard.

the_t0ny
11-08-2011, 11:32 PM
With my experience using Remington ammo, I've used golden bullets(the 550 bulk and the ones in 500 rounds bricks/10 x 50 round boxes), thunderbolt, and Remington match ammo, I've had good luck with golden bullets and the match stuff in my 597 and my gsg-5. The thunderbolts were beyond crap and you can hear the inconsistencies. The only reason I kept buying them was because it ws the only ammo that was in stock during the ammo shortage in 2008-2009. All of them shot dirtier than federal bulk and cci mini mag but at lease the golden bullet and Remington match would feed and fire and be accurate enough for me. The thunderbolts would have 1 or 2 duds out of every 10 round mag.

The Remington golden bullets I used were purchased in like 2005ish when they would be on sale at big 5 for like $10 or $14 a brick and they shot just fine. So it's probably a more recent issue. The golden bullets I bought in 2008 shot fine out of my 597, but federal bulk was more accurate and I would only have maybe 3 fail to fire in a brick versus 10-15 from a brick of the more recent golden bullet(which still isn't too bad) but I needed some quick cash last week so I sold my last 4 bricks to a Calgunner, hope he doesn't have any problems with them.

the_t0ny
11-08-2011, 11:33 PM
With my experience using Remington ammo, I've used golden bullets(the 550 bulk and the ones in 500 rounds bricks/10 x 50 round boxes), thunderbolt, and Remington match ammo, I've had good luck with golden bullets and the match stuff in my 597 and my gsg-5. The thunderbolts were beyond crap and you can hear the inconsistencies. The only reason I kept buying them was because it ws the only ammo that was in stock during the ammo shortage in 2008-2009. All of them shot dirtier than federal bulk and cci mini mag but at lease the golden bullet and Remington match would feed and fire and be accurate enough for me. The thunderbolts would have 1 or 2 duds out of every 10 round mag.

The Remington golden bullets I used were purchased in like 2005ish when they would be on sale at big 5 for like $10 or $14 a brick and they shot just fine. So it's probably a more recent issue. The golden bullets I bought in 2008 shot fine out of my 597, but federal bulk was more accurate and I would only have maybe 3 fail to fire in a brick versus 10-15 from a brick of the more recent golden bullet(which still isn't too bad) but I needed some quick cash last week so I sold my last 4 bricks to a Calgunner, hope he doesn't have any problems with them.

tvfreakarms
11-09-2011, 1:15 AM
Oops! I don't have any remmy ammo. I have bulk winchester ammo. So hopefully it will work out fine. I did by some cci mini mags. I hear it may not work very well on the cmmg upper.

Ventura_Yak'r
11-09-2011, 7:58 AM
+1
Getting about the same FTF (~20%) w/ Remington .22 "Golden bullet" shooting w/ my Browning Buckmark and Browning Nomad. I avoid the Remington .22 ammo

Well, I bought some 22LR Remington ammo at wallyworld a few weeks ago. Got a Box of unplated 40g RN "Thunderbolt" and several boxes of Remington 36g HP "22 Golden Bullet"

REMINGTON SUCKS !!!!!!!!! Cough.. sorry, lemme clear my throat and try that again.... REMINGTON SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never seen any ammo that FTF's as much as this cr@p. About 20% of them are duds. Pull the trigger... and nothing. Nice deep dent on the rim, but no go.

dirtracer24
11-09-2011, 8:55 AM
I bought a big case .22 viper a few years ago and hate it. My 10 22 has always been able to hold a nice 2" group at 100 yards with pretty much what ever ammo I fed it with this crap I would be lucky to have a 6-8" group, and it was filthy to. usually my 10 22 could go hundreds of rounds with a cleaning or a jam but with this crap maybe 50 rounds and the jams would start. I dont remember any FTF though.

KTM RICK
11-09-2011, 9:48 PM
All of my .22's will feed anything but with Remington they don't always go bang since Remington does not always include a primer ;-) I will buy anything but Remington.

What he said! Never will I buy Remington ammo either.

Zartan
11-10-2011, 6:52 AM
Ever shot this stuff?

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x342/MikesCG/IMAG0382.jpg

shadow65
11-10-2011, 7:04 AM
Oops! I don't have any remmy ammo. I have bulk winchester ammo. So hopefully it will work out fine. I did by some cci mini mags. I hear it may not work very well on the cmmg upper.

I prefer the Winchester 555 Bulk in my CMMG's.
Mini Mags have worked great for me in my CMMG AR .22's. I get better accuracy with them also.
My M4 LE will shoot 1.2" at 50 yards with Mini Mags.

Two problems with the Remington is the bullet profile and filthy residue left by the Rem rounds. The profile is not prone to good feeding but mine now feeds it fine. Friend of mine has shot it since day one. No problems.
.22's are just one of those that you need to buy a box of ammo and try it.
Rarely are they all the same.
Dave N

Xtracrispy
11-10-2011, 7:16 AM
Surprisingly, I haven't really had any problems with remington .22's. Even my Mosquito eats remington subsonics and thunderbolts just fine, and they are supposed to be very ammo sensitive.

But, they are definitely dirty.

shadow65
11-10-2011, 7:28 AM
Mt CMMG's will cycle Remington Subs. Works fine until it reaches the point of crud build up. Clean it and it functions again.
Dave N

fusionstar
11-10-2011, 10:15 AM
No problems here. Probably your gun. ;)