PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Wii. Now what?

audiophil2
12-07-2010, 6:38 PM
So I bought a Wii for my 5 yr old and, well, mostly myself. Trouble is I have not played a game system since the original Playstation. I have played the Wii before and liked it.

So, what do I need to complete this? I think it has one controller (bought it from Amazon and have not yet opened the box).

What games are good? I want something for my son and some action games for me.
Where is the best place to get games?
What should I worry about as in care/maintenance?

I'm pretty much clueless on video game stuff now.

JDay
12-07-2010, 6:44 PM
If you want action games you're going to want a PS3 or Xbox 360 for yourself. The Wii is more of a family system for the kids.

Desert_Rat
12-07-2010, 6:58 PM
Make double sure the kids use the wrist strap.Or You'll be sorry...We have a wii in the living room and it is a blast having the family over and having wii bowling tournaments.

sevensix2x51
12-07-2010, 7:01 PM
zelda twilight princess ftw! youre gonna need a nunchuck if it doesnt have one.

Baconator
12-07-2010, 7:02 PM
I have a Wii, we hardly play it. Best place to get games is game stop, or somewhere else you can get them used. Alternatively, sign up for gamefly; netflix of video games. It can support up to 4 controllers, but some games only allow for one. They have revamped versions of old Super Mario Bros, etc. Lot's of games out there, real good for the kids.

Toyman321
12-07-2010, 7:37 PM
I havn't played it but I've heard good things about Call of Duty. Do you have Netflix? You can stream through a wii.

Casual_Shooter
12-07-2010, 7:42 PM
Our kids love it. Get the Wii sports and resorts (ours came with it in the package). Lots of good kids type games and semi-fun adult games.

My 7 y/o daughter beats me at speed slice and table tennis sometimes- even when I try. :)

ilikeguns
12-07-2010, 7:49 PM
resident evil darkside chronicles is ok...

Trojans
12-07-2010, 8:25 PM
NFL training camp is a great workout program if you like football. I sit on the couch and watch the kids do it all the time. When they are done I time them on how fast they can get me a beer.

jamesob
12-07-2010, 8:31 PM
it will sit like mine.

bubbapug1
12-07-2010, 9:14 PM
The basic tennis, baseball, bowling, and boxing is good. I heard call of duty sucks on Wii but I don't have it myself to comment.

I bought star wars for my daughter with light sabers, that should be a kick. Wii's are wonderful, expecially the bowling IMHO. Just go easy...I actually got tendonitis from the tennis game the first week we had it.

Hank Dodge
12-08-2010, 7:25 AM
We got a Wi for our boy last year. He's a little older than yours, but he likes the LEGO adventure games he plays on it. They have versions themed after Star Wars, Batman, and Indiana Jones etc. Not too bad for the kids. No "realistic" violence or anything bad. You can adjust "skill level" and they can have fun with it and not get overly frustrated. He also likes that Sports dick that came with the system. It has bowling and tennis etc. that can be fun.

We don't spend much on this type of stuff, so I can't tell you about any "grown up" games worth playing on it. I would like to hear from anyone that has found a decent shooting game for this system. Does one exist?

AJAX22
12-08-2010, 7:31 AM
Boom blocks is freaking amazing... you'll love it... just a physics engine that lets you throw stuff around.... simple great for parties.. awesome...

And for yourself.... I suggest getting Resident Evil 4,

AWESOME on the wii.... storyline and gameplay was great.

eville
12-08-2010, 7:35 AM
Mario cart is great. My 5 year old son plays it really good.

audiophil2
12-08-2010, 7:42 AM
Thanks for the responses guys.
My boy is big into star wars now so I was thinking the Lego star wars game and something else he can play light sabers on.
I'll get RE4 for myself. Boom blocks sounds pretty easy to play for us.

I finally opened the amazon box after 2 weeks and it looks like it is a red Wii with 1 remote, 1 nunchuk, and Super Mario Bros and Wii Sports.

Lancear15
12-08-2010, 7:43 AM
Anyone tried the bass pro shop Wii hunting game that turns the controller and nunchuck into a rifle? I think I'm going to buy it.

freonr22
12-08-2010, 8:34 AM
you need 1 more set of controllers fore sure. I 2nd the lego adventure games

audiophil2
12-08-2010, 9:00 AM
you need 1 more set of controllers fore sure. I 2nd the lego adventure games

I thought so. Any recommendations or should I just order an OEM set?

Recession
12-08-2010, 9:09 AM
You can do what these guys did:

q6a9tnL1yDo

Casual_Shooter
12-08-2010, 9:34 AM
I thought so. Any recommendations or should I just order an OEM set?

I'm sure others are fine, but I went with OEM.... pink for my daughter. :)

And don't forget to get that little extra motion sensor thingy (technical term you probably don't understand) for the bottom of the controller.

ZX-10R
12-08-2010, 9:35 AM
Buy a controller and get Tiger Woods golf. My daughter and I play the golf game and a bunch of other games on it. It is fun to say the least. Good luck.

dandechino
12-09-2010, 11:43 PM
Wii Sports Resort, Mario Kart Wii., and Mario Galaxy 1 & 2.That Mario bros. game that you got with it is a gem.

rob1105
12-10-2010, 12:49 AM
Get a couple more controllers with nunchucks. You can play along with your son on the Lego games. I have the Starwars lego game and I have to help my son on certain levels all the time. The Wii is a great way to bond with the kiddos as you team up to fight the bad guys. I bought Cabelas dangerous hunts and got my ***** kicked right off the bat so I don't play that one too much. Have fun with your son

spddrcr
12-10-2010, 12:59 AM
soft mod it so you can play DVD's on it as well as MAME roms. relive the arcade days by playing defender for 24 hours straight:43:
if you need help let me know:D

dwtt
12-11-2010, 4:30 AM
So it sounds like the Wii is more kid oriented than the PS3. Anyone know where a Wii can be bought cheap in the SF bay area? My daughter is bugging us to get a Wii or a PS3 since she played these games at her friends' house. There's one game where they raise an electronic pet and the system sees your movements with a camera, letting you pet the make believe dog or feed it or play with it. I don't know why little kids like this stuff. :)

K9paulc
12-11-2010, 6:46 AM
You can stream movies from NetFlix to your Wii if you have a netflix account. You can find tons of movies in their library. Good for bored kids and rainy days inside.

gunn
12-14-2010, 1:33 PM
Some thoughts:
* Netflix to Wii is SD (vs. HD video) only.
* I've played CoD on the Wii. The Wii is fun for family games but the modern first person shooters absolutely suck on it.

It was amusing to try and use a "gun controller" for the Wii but it wasn't terribly fun (poor shading/framerate) really made my sense of motion sickness kick in.

I picked up an XBOX360 for a little over $100 when they were clearencing out the non-slim units and plugged in the spare HDD a friend gave me. THAT system is great for first person shooters.

-g

_Z_
12-14-2010, 1:44 PM
I would mod your WII so you can play any game you want from anywhere. Even "backup copies" of your games too ;)

It's very easy to mod your WII, just gotta have a computer and a sd card with the attachment to read it on your computer.

Iknownot
12-14-2010, 1:57 PM
I picked up an XBOX360 for a little over $100 when they were clearencing out the non-slim units and plugged in the spare HDD a friend gave me. THAT system is great for first person shooters.

-g

Just as an aside, the Kinect, which just launched for the x360, works quite well, and is quite fun. It is MS's answer to the Wii. It works like the Wii, only you are playing the game using your whole body holding NO controllers.

It uses cameras and IR beams to track the movement of your body, hands, head and legs.

It is pretty neato.

It also fills the genre gap of family and kids games that the x360 suffers.

IMO, if you have an x360, and you also have kids, it's a no brainer, especially if you are considering something like the Wii.

Anyway, it's something to keep in mind, for everyone out there with an x360.

tankerman
12-15-2010, 8:56 PM
Anyone tried the bass pro shop Wii hunting game that turns the controller and nunchuck into a rifle?
Cabela's Big Game Hunter is pretty good.

Dirty506
12-15-2010, 9:01 PM
zelda

Cokebottle
12-15-2010, 9:09 PM
Wife wanted a Wii for Christmas last year.... she wanted the Wii Fit.

Everyone was out of stock. Found ONE Wii left in Tustin.
Nobody had the Wii-Fit. Ended up paying triple MSRP on Amazon to get it for her.

The balance board has never left the table where it's charging, and the 3 fitness DVDs remain unopened.

The only thing it's been used for is Netflix.