PDA

View Full Version : We Got A Red Dawg Down,.....We Got A Red Dawg Down

jabell
12-07-2010, 3:07 PM
>greeting gentlemen,
>i got a little report from last weekends savage wild boar hunting safari.
>it was another great trip with howie getting a nice boar with the biggest & nicest tusks
>i've seen in a while even though it was no monster size wise.
>lots to tell about but i'll stick to the hunting highlights.
>howie nailed his hawg from the ground blind with a head shot while it was
>trotting along the tree line against the nub from about 75 yards.
>tons of game seen from probably dozens of hawgs, yotes, quail, turkey, deer
>& elk.
>gary said driving out he stopped & watched a sounder of 50 to 60 hawgs right
>outside the town of parkfield.
>i guess we hit the solar / lunar cycle right this trip.
>great food as always with some incredible white sea bass, venison & cow
>steaks on the menu.
>thanks guys but lets try next time to make an attempt at some veggies.
>as much as i love all the meat a little fiber based food wouldn't hurt us.
>i had to purge with some syllium when i got home so i wouldn't blow an ***
>gasket.
>it rained pretty regularly but thanks to gary we had a giant cabin tent with
>a wood burning stove at our disposal which was a real treat.
>yea the same kind you drool over in the cabelas catalogue but know there is
>no chance in hell you'll ever ball up & order because it's too big to hide
>from your wifies.
>despite the luxury of the heated cabin tent i could not sleep for ****
>because of a serenade of multiple snorers.
>now i know why i have not shared a tent with another man in many years.
>it turned into a good thing cause they drove me out the 2nd night at 2 am
>which led to a solo spot lighting yote hunt that was incredibly awesome.
>i know it's just a 25 lb dog but let me tell you this thing was very
>exciting to call in & shoot.
>i was playing a jack rabbit distress call when mr. alpha yote started
>busting through the grass right up my 5 only to have me turn around to find
>him at a beeline charge straight at me at about 30 yards & closing.
>there is nothing like the feeling of being pursued while on the hunt.
>i scramble to grab my rifle which was leaning on a tree & mount it over a
>very large clunky spot light.
>this action stopped him & he retreated 10 yards but he ****ed up & paused
>looking back at me (to i guess double check that i was not a jack) just long
>enough for me to line up my scope & light angles (no easy feat) to squeeze
>off.
>it was a killer little hunt & i was back in camp with in a half hour sipping
>my flask around the camp fire but not before i sounded off in my radio (i
>left it's pair on high volume inside the cabin tent to make sure to wake the
>snorers)
>"we got a red dawg down,.......we got a red dawg down"
>gary also fully skinned (including head, paws & tail) the dawg which was
>sporting a sweet winter coat to later tan for a display pelt giving the rest
>of us a lesson in along the way.
>usually i don't do anything beyond pics with yotes so it was nice to further
>utilize a kill.
>anyway there is more to ramble on about but i'll leave it at that for now.
>some of the pics have come in & are attached but there are more to come
>including (hopefully) a bunch from a trail cam that was left marinating on a
>major trail from last trip 3 weeks ago.
>cheers & straight shots everyone,
>jeff

Howie44
12-07-2010, 4:25 PM
That yote really had a BEAUTIFUL winter coat on him! It was really cool to watch Gary PERFECTLY take that whole hide off (including the face). The man has skills! BTW, nice perfect neck shot you made on that dog, buddy. And thanks for wakeing us up in the wee hours with that radio chatter after you made the shot! LOL! (he left a live radio in the tent)

rumblebee
12-07-2010, 4:34 PM
Sounds like a great time....Nice coat on the jerky dog! :D

professionalcoyotehunter
12-07-2010, 4:42 PM
Nice coyote. Too bad you didn't keep the meat for me.:(

I am fresh out right now but I am hopefully heading out this weekend to fill the freezer.

That tent is huge but I would rather rough it out there with my own tent. I learned the hard way 3 trips ago of why I dont sleep in tents with others anymore.

edgerly779
12-07-2010, 5:37 PM
If that is Parkfield in Monterey county near Paso Robles i think that is only county in state you can't spotlight anything. Check with warden Tognazzini in Monterey. We hunt on ranch there and I know they don't shoot at night without current depradation permit for hogs.

jabell
12-07-2010, 5:42 PM
i'm starting to hear a chatter about it.
i got pch researching it for me.
i was only a couple hundred yards off the main road so i could have got screwed.
if they could catch me :)
thanks

taperxz
12-07-2010, 6:57 PM
Nice coyote. Too bad you didn't keep the meat for me.:(

I am fresh out right now but I am hopefully heading out this weekend to fill the freezer.

That tent is huge but I would rather rough it out there with my own tent.
I learned the hard way 3 trips ago of why I dont sleep in tents with others anymore.

Please don't share the details!! Hope this has nothing to do with prop 8 LMAO and J/K

edgerly779
12-08-2010, 4:22 AM
They got ranchers son on another ranch on Vineyard canyon with spotter plane and vectored the wardens right to them. THEY CAN GO ON ANY PROPERTY TO CATCH VIOLATORS. SOLIS AND TOGNAZZINI KNOW EVERY RANCH IN AREA. MONTEREY COUNTY WORST NIGHT POACHING AREA IN STATE. ALSO AREA HAS A PROTECTED FOX LOOKS LIKE A YOUNG YOTE. GET CAUGHT AUTOMATIC LOSS OF GUN AND FINE AND MAYBE NO HUNTING LICENSE FOR 5 YEARS.

tony270
12-08-2010, 6:55 AM
Nice hog and wtg on the coyote, I know you shot that coyote west of Highway 101.

The night hunting regulation for non-game animals and fur bearers in Monterey and San Benito counties only applies to land east of Highway 101, land west of highway 101 in Monterey and San Benito counties is legal to hunt non-game animals at night baring any local or land administration ordnance that may prevent it.
From CDFG/CFGC;
Notwithstanding any other provisions of these regulations, hunting wildlife from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise is prohibited in Monterey and San Benito counties east of Highway 101
The area west of Highway 101 in Monterey and San Benito counties falls under the Remainder of State zone and is regulated by this section of the CDFG/CFGC;
§264.5. Use of Lights While Hunting--Remainder of State.
Lights may be used, in those portions of the state not listed in Section 264, to take furbearers and nongame mammals under the following conditions only:
(a) Only 9 volt lights or smaller, hand-held or worn on the head are permitted.
(b) Persons using such lights must be on foot.
(c) Lights may not be used in or from a vehicle and may not be attached or powered from any source other than self-contained batteries.
(d) A landowner or tenant suffering damage to livestock or other property by furbearing mammals or nongame mammals may designate, in writing, persons allowed by such landowner or tenant to use artificial lights in excess of 9 volts to assist in taking the depredating mammals. The landowner or tenants shall notify the closest fish and game office whenever furbearing or nongame mammals are taken under this authority.
No furbearing or nongame mammals including any threatened, endangered or fully protected species may be taken contrary to any other prohibition set forth in these regulations.
Certificate of Compliance as to 6-24-85 order transmitted to OAL 9-30-85 and filed 11-1-85
http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.asp#263

jabell
12-08-2010, 12:17 PM
i appreciate any info on the subject.

jabell
12-08-2010, 12:23 PM

edgerly779
12-08-2010, 1:40 PM
Parkfield is east of 101 and that is where he refers to as to night hunting for coyotes we don't do it there. If he hunted west then ok then he should not have used parkfield in post.

tony270
12-08-2010, 1:56 PM

What more do you need?

The state has three night hunting zones, zone 1, zone 2, and the 3rd so called zone is called the Remainder of State and is not called a zone. Like I worte, you can hunt at night west of highway 101 in Monterey and San Benito counties baring any local laws. The stipulations is that you can only use a 9 volt hand held light or one that you ware on the head, and you have to be away from the vehicle. Again, you can't touch a vehicle hunting at night using a spotlight west of Highway 101 in Monterey and San Benito countiesand or in the Remainder of State zone.

That's why I know you were west of Highway 101 and you used a 9 volt handheld flashlight or a 9 volt headlight while you were on foot.

That's all you need to say, and nothing else, you don’t have to witness against yourself. When we write stuff on the internet it's easy for someone or anti's to misconstrue it into something that never happened or something that was not meant.

Now unless you want to know more about night hunting lets get bcak on topic.

HH and thanks for sharing.

tony270
12-08-2010, 2:02 PM
Parkfield is east of 101 and that is where he refers to as to night hunting for coyotes we don't do it there. If he hunted west then ok then he should not have used parkfield in post.

Outside of Parkfield could be over by Camp Roberts, couldn’t it?

jabell
12-08-2010, 4:47 PM
we were in the los padres nat. forest & i was indeed using a 9 volt spot light.
gary took the scenic route through parkfield on his way home.
thank you guys for clarifying the rules.
straight shots
:innocent:

professionalcoyotehunter
12-08-2010, 8:21 PM
A landowner or tenant suffering damage to livestock or other property by furbearing mammals or nongame mammals may designate, in writing, persons allowed by such landowner or tenant to use artificial lights in excess of 9 volts to assist in taking the depredating mammals. The landowner or tenants shall notify the closest fish and game office whenever furbearing or nongame mammals are taken under this authority

Since jeff was on private owned property night hunting is permitted. Coyotes are depredating animals too livestock and a non-game predator. Remaider of the state applies to land owned and operated by the State not private property i.e. BLM, Federal etc.. This is stated by the DFG of Monterrey county. Deer and pigs may under no circumstances be taken by spotlight and spotlight use must still be used in accordance with the state regs.

jabell
12-09-2010, 8:43 AM
so does that go the route of the depredation permit which you have to show damage before they issue the permit & the permit is only good for a short amount of time?
or can the landowner just write something up & it's a done deal.
:confused:

professionalcoyotehunter
12-09-2010, 9:30 AM
I will get further info on the subject.

tony270
12-09-2010, 10:05 AM
A landowner or tenant suffering damage to livestock or other property by furbearing mammals or nongame mammals may designate, in writing, persons allowed by such landowner or tenant to use artificial lights in excess of 9 volts to assist in taking the depredating mammals. The landowner or tenants shall notify the closest fish and game office whenever furbearing or nongame mammals are taken under this authority

Since jeff was on private owned property night hunting is permitted. Coyotes are depredating animals too livestock and a non-game predator. Remaider of the state applies to land owned and operated by the State not private property i.e. BLM, Federal etc.. This is stated by the DFG of Monterrey county. Deer and pigs may under no circumstances be taken by spotlight and spotlight use must still be used in accordance with the state regs.

Jabell;
Be careful on following the interpretation that PHC is stating. My interpretation of the Remainder of State regulation is that at no time is it legal to hunt non-game or fur bearing animals at night east of Highway 101 in Monterey and San Benito counties without a depredation permit, the permit similar or the same as one used to take mountain lions and the likes.
What the regulations is stating is that west of Highway 101 in Monterey and San Benito counties a private land owner can grant permission to use spotlights larger than 9 volts, and when an animal is taken with a light larger than 9 volts it has to be reported to DFG. I’ve pointed that out in the regulation below using the bold UBB code.

§264.5. Use of Lights While Hunting-Remainder of State.
Lights may be used, in those portions of the state not listed in Section 264, to take furbearers and nongame mammals under the following conditions only:
(a) Only 9 volt lights or smaller, hand-held or worn on the head are permitted.
(b) Persons using such lights must be on foot.
(c) Lights may not be used in or from a vehicle and may not be attached or powered from any source other than self-contained batteries.
(d) A landowner or tenant suffering damage to livestock or other property by furbearing mammals or nongame mammals may designate, in writing, persons allowed by such landowner or tenant to use artificial lights in excess of 9 volts to assist in taking the depredating mammals. The landowner or tenants shall notify the closest fish and game office whenever furbearing or nongame mammals are taken under this authority.
No furbearing or nongame mammals including any threatened, endangered or fully protected species may be taken contrary to any other prohibition set forth in these regulations.

professionalcoyotehunter
12-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Therefore stating 9v or less may be used otherwise on PP.

tony270
12-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Therefore stating 9v or less may be used otherwise on PP.

It's saying that on public and private property only a 9 volt light can be used west of 101. But if a private property owner who owns property west of 101 is having problems with non-game or fur bearing animals he or she may authorize the use of a light that is larger than 9 volts as long as when an animal is taken it is reported to DFG. The private property owners west of Highway 101 only need to contact CDFG when a non-game animal or fur bearing animal is taken under that stipulation (taken with a light larger than 9 volts). Jebell is correct on taking the yote in the LPNF.

Get it now?

professionalcoyotehunter
12-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Dont forget to post your pics here Howie.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=5419685&posted=1#post5419685

jabell
12-09-2010, 6:13 PM
thanks tony270 & pch.