PDA

View Full Version : Where should I purchse a Mosin?

sigfan91
12-07-2010, 2:38 PM
I have FFL03 so I can order online. My question is who has generally the best (or better) Mosins? I'm looking at Century and AIM Surplus. Both have the cheapest grade for $70 + shipping. Are they both about the same? Any other vendor suggestions?

Noonanda
12-07-2010, 2:45 PM
go with AIM, they will stand behind their sales and if you get a lemon they will take care of you better than century, but if you have a good century rep you might go with them

sigfan91
12-07-2010, 2:48 PM
go with AIM, they will stand behind their sales and if you get a lemon they will take care of you better than century, but if you have a good century rep you might go with them

OK, that's nice to know. Both are at the same price now. I was hoping for the 3-pack deal ($170) at Century. :D

InFamous20
12-07-2010, 2:48 PM
+1 on Aim

I've heard good things from J&G sales too.

Divernhunter
12-07-2010, 9:26 PM
I have done well at SOG. I got 6 last year when they had a no charge shipping and a $6? price on them. All were matching(not forced) and none were counterbored with good stocks. One had an arsenal repair to the stock. Was happy with everyone and they shot well.

steve91104
12-07-2010, 9:55 PM
Bud's has Mosins too !

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411540201

Ron-Solo
12-08-2010, 12:14 AM
I've done well with J&G

sigfan91
12-08-2010, 10:35 AM
I just ordered 3 from AIM last night. Ordered the cheapest type with round receiver and no hand-pick. They were something like $253 out the door. Will post picture later :)

Now...about ammo...:D

HskrVern
12-08-2010, 10:40 AM
I just ordered 3 from AIM last night. Ordered the cheapest type with round receiver and no hand-pick. They were something like $253 out the door. Will post picture later :)

Now...about ammo...:D

The thing I like about AIM is that what you get (at least for me) was darn near what the stock picture looked like.

skscj
12-10-2010, 7:23 AM
Ron-Solo, did you get a Hex laminate from JG? If so, how was it?

toneman
12-10-2010, 8:32 AM
I had the same question,
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=370632
and got some good help,
hope this link will provide more info for you.

sigfan91
12-10-2010, 11:11 AM
I had the same question,
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=370632
and got some good help,
hope this link will provide more info for you.

I saw that thread right after I started this one...:o

I bought 3 from AIM. They should arrive next Tuesday.

I bought a tin of lead core Bulgarians from Century.

toneman
12-10-2010, 11:16 AM

Good for you,
I still not found what I want yet,
but search goes on.

mosinnagantm9130
12-10-2010, 12:30 PM
FYI, on any soviet 91/30, m38, m44 or 91/59, if it's a refurb, it's 99% likely that it's a force match.

saigarocks
12-10-2010, 12:45 PM
big 5 has them on sale for 99 right now

mosinmike
12-10-2010, 2:24 PM
I was in search of a bent bolt rifle to make a sniper rifle, so I ordered from rguns.net It was 155 bucks, nice rifle just covered in varnish. They shipped it out right away, I would use them again.

sigfan91
12-14-2010, 10:25 PM
FYI, on any soviet 91/30, m38, m44 or 91/59, if it's a refurb, it's 99% likely that it's a force match.

How do I know if one is a force match?

sigfan91
12-15-2010, 9:52 PM
They're heeeere...

The one on the top was a 1939 make from Tula. It has a trigger unlike the other two. It breaks nice and crisp. A bit heavy, but no creep at all. :)

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k281/blurr91/guns/IMG_1609.jpg

mosinnagantm9130
12-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Nice 91/30's! I like the stock variety, a nice example of pre-war, wartime, and post war stocks.

How do I know if one is a force match?

Force matched refers to parts that were numbered to match during a refurbishment and are not original to the rifle. The original numbers are sometimes ground off or simply struck through before the new numbers are stamped or electropenciled. Signs of grinding, lined out numbers, lack of Cyrillic prefixes or electropenciled numbers are sure signs of force matching.

Just from looking at the pic you posted, I would bet that the buttplate on the 39 tula is force matched. It's on a post war stock.

Although, I'd bet that all of them are force matched. It's typical of refurbs, and not really anything to be too concerned about unless your looking for an all original example.

InFamous20
12-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Nice 91/30's! I like the stock variety, a nice example of pre-war, wartime, and post war stocks.

Just from looking at the pic you posted, I would bet that the buttplate on the 39 tula is force matched. It's on a post war stock.

Although, I'd bet that all of them are force matched. It's typical of refurbs, and not really anything to be too concerned about unless your looking for an all original example.

For less than a hundred dollars I could care less! I am curious, How does one look for an "original". It's not like the Russians still have non refurbished 9130s?

Anchors
12-16-2010, 2:27 AM

They're heeeere...

The one on the top was a 1939 make from Tula. It has a trigger unlike the other two. It breaks nice and crisp. A bit heavy, but no creep at all. :)

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k281/blurr91/guns/IMG_1609.jpg

Hmm. Those look pretty good!

Stats on the bores/rifling?
This was no hand select right?

sigfan91
12-16-2010, 10:07 AM
Hmm. Those look pretty good!

Stats on the bores/rifling?
This was no hand select right?

You are correct. These are not hand select. I went for the absolute cheapest route. I might buy a few hex receivers in the future, and might go with hand select. Or just buy 5 of them and do the selecting myself. :D

The top is a 39 Tula. It has a very nice trigger. Absolutely no creep at all before it breaks.

The middle is a 43 Iz...something. It is in the poorest shape out of the 3. The stock was repaired at the front end. The trigger is spongy. There were a lot of tool marks left on the receiver, evidence of its wartime construction.

The bottom is a 37 Tula. I think it has original pre-war stock. The construction is much better than the 43, but the trigger is spongy.

All 3 have nice rifling but the bores are a bit dark.

They all came with accessories: bayonet, twin oil bottle, small tools, sling, and the pouch.

hcbr
12-16-2010, 1:47 PM
for me i just shopped around and looked at all the big 5's, i though compared for me to get it transferred out of state to FFL, the 99 dollar pricing was comparable to getting it from AIM and other places online. Just my two cents. Plus with big 5, you can actually inspect which mosin you're getting!

Anchors
12-16-2010, 4:34 PM
for me i just shopped around and looked at all the big 5's, i though compared for me to get it transferred out of state to FFL, the 99 dollar pricing was comparable to getting it from AIM and other places online. Just my two cents. Plus with big 5, you can actually inspect which mosin you're getting!

Most of us have C&R FFL's so we don't need to transfer it, we can just have it delivered to our houses. Which means we just pay shipping and no tax.
That being said.

I just stopped by Big 5 while eating at Five Guys Burgers (best burger you can get anywhere) in Huntington Beach and the manager said they "only had two Mosins left and there were no Star or Hex". Okay I said I would like to see them. Then he came back and said he could only find one of them. Okay. So he pulled it out and.....It was a '43 Tula Ex-Sniper with the brass ends on the handguard. I believe it was matching, decent bore. Russian serial number "TK32". I was like "Sold!" and he said they were $129 and I was like oh I thought they were $99? and then he checked said actually they're $179, but if they go on sale in three weeks then we will give you the sale price and I was like all right and then we got to shooting the breeze while I was filling out the DROS and he was just like "I'll just give you the $99 price man" !

So in this instance I am glad that I bought from Big 5 instead of ordering online.
Pics will follow when I get it out of jail (27th).
I have been looking for an ex-sniper since I sold my real sniper (sad :[)