PDA

View Full Version : Mosin Nagant 91/30 Questions

andrewak47
12-06-2010, 3:00 PM
I went to Big 5 today and found a very nice, non-laminated stock, 1938 made Mosin Nagant. I bought it for 139. The gal says I can come in next week on the 10th when these will go on sale for 99 and get the price different! I will buy a few boxes of bullets for it with the price different!

This is my concern. Is there any different in the years made??? Is it more special to get a different year??? I'm very happy and will be happy regardless, as this will be my first C&R rifle. Is there a right or wrong year to buy these Mosin Nagants? Thanks!

SideWinder11
12-06-2010, 3:13 PM
Any year is great. If you google Mosin Nagant forum their is a wealth of information on those. Most want war years, others want older ex-dragoons just depends on what you like. Congrats on the purchase they are great guns and a lot of fun to shoot.

BTW the ammo at Big 5 is really expensive you can find some surplus stuff on like (magnetic and non-magnetic) for much less.

Reductio
12-06-2010, 3:24 PM
Knock yourself out, it takes more than just the year to get a feel for it: http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRarity.htm

Volksgrenadier
12-06-2010, 3:34 PM
Comrade,

Congratulations on choosing the wield the glorious sword that defended the Motherland, the Mosin Nagant! Take Vodka ration, here is ammunition, and now go, and kill the fascist!

LOL

Any case, the pre-war years in the USSR saw a much higher fit and finish on their weapons than the war years, where armories were being bombed, production times reduced to bare minimums, and workers toiling around the clock, often in damaged factories without proper roofing or heating, to turn out weapons for the front. I have an Izhevsk '43 91/30 that is likely the roughest machining I have ever seen personally on a Mosin Nagant. Got it at Big5 for 79 bucks because it was so ugly, the manager could not sell it.

like it was said before 7.62x54r.net is an amazing resource for the Mosin Nagant enthusiast.

Oh, and one quick note about ammunition. I just picked up some Winchester White Box 7.62x54r 180 grain fmj rounds. They are highly magnetic! The box states on the back "made in the Czech Republic". Be advised if the range you shoot at has any prohibitions against steel projectiles.

Enjoy your new rifle!

Rem222
12-06-2010, 4:00 PM
Congrats on your Mosin. A great choice for your first C&R..

Look on-line for your ammo. A few ideas..

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8521&dir=18|830|853

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/20rds-762x54r-silver-bear-174gr-fmj-ammo/cName/762x54r-fmj-ammo

Haggar85
12-06-2010, 4:42 PM
theres nothing wrong with any year. some years have better fit and finish than others but all are sound pieces of mil surplus. a few things you have to get used to it the red lacquer chipping and some times the cosmoline bleeds out of places you did not know were there and then some. good buy, ammo online is the way to go.
cheers

laika
12-06-2010, 5:16 PM
Copes Distributing (a sponsor) has great prices on surplus Yugo 7.62x54R which is sweet ammo and nonmagnetic as well.:D

Reductio
12-06-2010, 5:21 PM
Copes Distributing (a sponsor) has great prices on surplus Yugo 7.62x54R which is sweet ammo and nonmagnetic as well.:D

It's been gone for a few weeks. :(

Mojaveman
12-06-2010, 6:29 PM
I went to Big 5 today and found a very nice, non-laminated stock, 1938 made Mosin Nagant. I bought it for 139. The gal says I can come in next week on the 10th when these will go on sale for 99 and get the price different! I will buy a few boxes of bullets for it with the price different!

This is my concern. Is there any different in the years made??? Is it more special to get a different year??? I'm very happy and will be happy regardless, as this will be my first C&R rifle. Is there a right or wrong year to buy these Mosin Nagants? Thanks!

Sounds like a good buy Andrew. I was never really into Mosins but Big 5 had them for $89.00 on Black Friday. After looking at about ten of them I found one with a perfect bore and a nice stock. After I'm done cleaning and touching it up I'll post some pictures. Being that a 7.62X54R sits between a .308 and a .30-06 I'm excited to see how it will shoot.

Nostrovia!

Bigtwin
12-06-2010, 7:10 PM
Warning: Mosins can become an addiction, particularly true because of the low cost factor. Still collectable, still available, still a cool peice of history!

As others have stated http://7.62x54r.net/ This is the place for info! Just remember if you join(and I recommend it), they are a "place of worship" IE: no topics of modifying or the such, this forum is all about collecting.

andrewak47
12-06-2010, 7:23 PM
Thank you all for contributing your opinion, feelings, and the love for these rifles. I've been studying and watching Enemy at the Gate, and I tell you, I started having feelings for these rifles! Then I started reading more about it and watched these awesome videos on youtube. I simply fell in love and had to get one. Thank you all! My addiction has started!

MikeH1
12-06-2010, 7:24 PM
Yours was not made during the WW2, so it will be better looking than wartime made. My 91/30 was made in 1943 and compared to my 1946 M44, it's not as clean looking, the 91/30 has some black paint where the bluing wore off, and the stock and some metal parts were more rough looking than the M44. Both shoot about the same, the M44 is louder.

As Laika stated, look for some Yugo surplus, the new manufacture x54 ammo is pricey. Otherwise Bulgarian, Czech, and Russian surplus ammo is plentiful for this rifle, but they are steel core. All the above is corrosive, so clean the rifle as soon as possible after shooting. Also, Mosin rifles have a tendency to multiply, this probably won't be your last.

Happy Shooting!

andrewak47
12-06-2010, 7:28 PM
Please feel free to post your Mosin's up! I'll post mine up here as soon as I get it. I am going to have a fun time taking the cosmo's off! Feels like I just delivered my baby and now I have to clean the yucky stuff off of her. Not much different from my 6 year old daughter except that I won't have to worry about another boy touching and dating my Mosin, LOL!

Rico-Ricx
12-06-2010, 7:37 PM
my firends 1935 hex Tula feels alot smoother than my 1943 Izzy. Mine feels like the bolt dosen't fit as snug...but hey a mosin for $100 is still a good deal. It's the only gun i know of that is as cheap to buy as it is cheap to shoot as far as centerfire rifles go.

andrewak47
12-06-2010, 7:40 PM
Yours was not made during the WW2, so it will be better looking than wartime made. My 91/30 was made in 1943 and compared to my 1946 M44, it's not as clean looking, the 91/30 has some black paint where the bluing wore off, and the stock and some metal parts were more rough looking than the M44. Both shoot about the same, the M44 is louder.

As Laika stated, look for some Yugo surplus, the new manufacture x54 ammo is pricey. Otherwise Bulgarian, Czech, and Russian surplus ammo is plentiful for this rifle, but they are steel core. All the above is corrosive, so clean the rifle as soon as possible after shooting. Also, Mosin rifles have a tendency to multiply, this probably won't be your last.

Happy Shooting!

I'm already doing my math. I paid $165.xx OTD. When it goes on sale on the 10th for $99 I can go and get the difference.
165-99= $66 So I just need to pay about $45 more to get another rifle! Decisions, Decisions

SoCal Bob
12-06-2010, 7:50 PM
No right or wrong year, yours probably saw action as they were rebuilt and returned to the front. A word of caution though; you will probably want to add an M38 or an M44 to the collection when you see some of the You Tube videos of the fireballs they put out.

And it probably wouldn't hurt to look into a recoil pad. :eek::43:

MikeH1
12-06-2010, 9:33 PM
And it probably wouldn't hurt to look into a recoil pad. :eek::43:

Here is one I use, works great

http://shooterpads.com/products.htm

dirtykoala
12-06-2010, 10:34 PM
i pick mine up on thursday (also from big 5, also a 1938, also my first C&R, also falling in love, will be buying another one when they go on sale). and i think i can use my dros still???

i dont know much about the mosin but i couldnt pass up a $99 gun. it has brass barrel rings(?) on it and brass sling holes which i cant find much info about.

im thinking that with the holiday sales at big5 there will be a lot of new mosin owners soon!

anyway, from all the research ive been doing, it seems like theres no right or wrong year, but people like to get the earlier ones, and the hex receivers are cool if you find one.

theres a guy on youtube that ive been watching who shows his rifle restoration, im gonna try some of it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Iraqveteran8888#p/u/1/yXC_PQkLkNA
http://www.youtube.com/user/Iraqveteran8888#p/u/8/p21MKDi3r8o

Cowboy T
12-06-2010, 10:39 PM
The 1920's hex receiver ones also tend to be very good. These were made in between WWI and WWII, and you can get some pretty tight, good bores in them. Pretty much all Mosins I've seen will have somewhat dark rifling. But any of them with good, sharp rifling will tend to be a good shooter, regardless of year.

7.62 Soviet
12-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Good score! Love my mosin, 1943 Izzy, not in bad shape but definently a beater gun good for crawling through the rubble of destroyed buildings haha.

However BAH I say to the recoil pads, you have to shoot it like it was intended so you can really feel those 100+ rounds you put through it the next day!

saigarocks
12-07-2010, 2:59 PM
one thing you may run into is the bolt freezing up after you've shot a few rounds and it gets hot -some do - some don't - lots of remedies on the net = still a great gun - shoot 100 rounds and your shoulder will remind you for a few days - it killed a few million nazis and thats good enuf for me.

laika
12-07-2010, 6:31 PM
tickbitesupply.com (AKA David's Collectibles) has a great looking and great functioning buttpad as well, fits exactly into the original stock with the original hardware.

Have fun and start saving for your next Mosin!

paul0660
12-07-2010, 6:50 PM
I'm already doing my math. I paid $165.xx OTD.

You will do the math again, because the doj fee and tax aren't coming back.

andrewak47
12-18-2010, 2:39 PM
Ok finally got my Mosin Nagant. Here's the pictures! Need to take more since the battery ran out.

mosinnagantm9130
12-18-2010, 2:43 PM
Very nice, congrats!

andrewak47
12-18-2010, 11:45 PM
This doesn't bother me but if anyone could give me some informations on why this was done? There's an X on the receiver with the date and all that. Is this an ex-sniper rifle? Was the wood removed then to mount a PU/PE scope? Was it then glued back into the slot? I'm very curious! Thanks

CaliforniaLiberal
12-19-2010, 6:45 AM
Have you had a chance to shoot the Mosin yet Andrew?

I'd be interested to hear your impressions.

The Roar! The Blast! The Fireball! The Mighty Blow to Your Shoulder!!!

And don't be concerned if it's difficult to open the bolt after firing. That's perfectly normal, some Mosin owners pack medium sized sledge hammers in their range bags.

For me it's a Love/Hate/Fascination relationship. They are truly awe inspiring weapons.

Those Soviets were true warriors and never get the credit they deserve for fighting back and destroying the Nazi war machine. They fought the Normandy beaches and the Battle for Bastogne many times over. And Russian POWs mostly died by the millions of starvation or in slave labor camps. They were sub-human, don't you know. US and British POWs were treated almost as well as the German army treated their own soldiers.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d1/World_War_II_Casualties.svg

Wookiee87
12-19-2010, 7:54 AM
wow, that's an interesting graph!

CaliforniaLiberal
12-19-2010, 7:57 AM
wow, that's an interesting graph!

Ya.

Put's things in perspective.

Makes me have a little more respect for the M-N Rifle.

mosinnagantm9130
12-19-2010, 1:08 PM
This doesn't bother me but if anyone could give me some informations on why this was done? There's an X on the receiver with the date and all that. Is this an ex-sniper rifle? Was the wood removed then to mount a PU/PE scope? Was it then glued back into the slot? I'm very curious! Thanks

I can guarantee that your rifle is not an ex-PU sniper. PU 91/30 production started in 42, so that's out. It is possible your rifle was a PEM side mount, are there any filled in holes like these on your rifle? There could be 1,2, or 3 filled in holes if there are any holes. If not, your rifle was not a sniper rifle at one point.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ICuLB148bJU/Rqiqg-3O8FI/AAAAAAAAAN8/wUmkTKfKHow/s400/DSCF2488a.jpg

As for the stock repair, the stock could have come off of a decommisioned sniper, but that is unlikely. That spot on the stock is a common point for breakages to happen, which result in needing that repair.

hybridatsun350
12-19-2010, 1:46 PM
Sweet stock repair! The pre-war rifles have a MUCH higher level of fit and finish. How's the bore look?

That stock repair doesn't look like anything sniper related. I'd say it was just severely damaged and they chose to fix it and sell it. It definitely adds some character!

And don't be concerned if it's difficult to open the bolt after firing. That's perfectly normal, some Mosin owners pack medium sized sledge hammers in their range bags.

That's ridiculous! They need to learn how to clean the cosmoline out of their chambers. I've never had an issue with a sticky bolt.

Edit: Pretty nice stuff... http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=A76254R&name=Russian+7.62x54R+147grn+FMJ+440rd+Can&groupid=40

Flyin Brian
12-19-2010, 3:07 PM
That stock repair doesn't look like anything sniper related.

Actually, it is a standard repair for ex-snipers from 1942 and later.

Anchors
12-19-2010, 4:31 PM
I like it! I think the repair has character.

andrewak47
12-19-2010, 4:37 PM
I can guarantee that your rifle is not an ex-PU sniper. PU 91/30 production started in 42, so that's out. It is possible your rifle was a PEM side mount, are there any filled in holes like these on your rifle? There could be 1,2, or 3 filled in holes if there are any holes. If not, your rifle was not a sniper rifle at one point.

As for the stock repair, the stock could have come off of a decommisioned sniper, but that is unlikely. That spot on the stock is a common point for breakages to happen, which result in needing that repair.

There are no holes or anything like that inside. The rifle looks just like any other ordinary rifle except that "repair" part. To be honest I wouldn't trade it for any other ordinary m9130 just because it's unique in it's own way.

BTW, does the little "x" mean anything special? Maybe it signify that the rifle was damaged from bopping an enemy on the side of his head thus damaging that side and then it was repaired?! Maybe he got attacked by a large, cute, fluffy white bear, swung this rifle and made a crack??? LOL idk...

CaliforniaLiberal
12-19-2010, 4:38 PM
I think that all military surplus rifles are chock full of character. Every little flaw, dent, repair, the sticky bolts, all of it. Love Mosins.

hybridatsun350
12-19-2010, 4:50 PM
Actually, it is a standard repair for ex-snipers from 1942 and later.

Really? I swear I've seen stocks that have just had the area filled back in where the scope was mounted. Were these repairs done by the Russians or someone more recently?

andrewak47
12-19-2010, 6:17 PM
Not sure when but it it was repaired very good and flushed.

Anchors
12-19-2010, 6:57 PM
I think that all military surplus rifles are chock full of character. Every little flaw, dent, repair, the sticky bolts, all of it. Love Mosins.

Can't agree more. I will truly be sad the day Mosins dry up and there is nothing to take their place.

Really? I swear I've seen stocks that have just had the area filled back in where the scope was mounted. Were these repairs done by the Russians or someone more recently?

I have never seen that repair either, but I like it.

mosinnagantm9130
12-19-2010, 9:27 PM
BTW, does the little "x" mean anything special? Maybe it signify that the rifle was damaged from bopping an enemy on the side of his head thus damaging that side and then it was repaired?! Maybe he got attacked by a large, cute, fluffy white bear, swung this rifle and made a crack??? LOL idk...

I've never seen an X like that on a 91/30. That doesn't mean it's anything unusual though, there are all sorts of markings found on mosins that we have no idea what they mean.

Flyin Brian
12-19-2010, 11:19 PM

Here is a 1942 ex PEM I sold recently:
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/Flyin_Brian/MosinNagant/1942%20PEM/th_MosinXSnipers042.jpg (http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/Flyin_Brian/MosinNagant/1942%20PEM/MosinXSnipers042.jpg)

and a 1942 ex PU I sold but haven't made the transaction yet:
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/Flyin_Brian/MosinNagant/1942%20PU/th_MosinXSnipers023.jpg (http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/Flyin_Brian/MosinNagant/1942%20PU/MosinXSnipers023.jpg)

a quick search on google images for "mosin ex sniper stock repair" brought up a few more exactly the same too. I'm sure they must have used the same repair for a cracked wrist but it's way too coincidental that all of these ex snipers have the same repair right where the mount used to be.

mosinnagantm9130
12-19-2010, 11:28 PM
a quick search on google images for "mosin ex sniper stock repair" brought up a few more exactly the same too. I'm sure they must have used the same repair for a cracked wrist but it's way too coincidental that all of these ex snipers have the same repair right where the mount used to be.

Yes, that repair is used for sniper rifles. But chances are the stock that your rifles are wearing isn't the stock they had when they were snipers anyway.

DannyInSoCal
12-21-2010, 8:22 AM
Hahaha - Couldn't choose between the 38 and 44 - So I grabbed both.

Now to decide which one gets the Monte Carlo stock, mount, and scope I just ordered.

Anyone have a quick source for the "turned down" bolt...?

Thanx, Danny

laika
12-21-2010, 8:31 AM
Accumounts has them, other places too but I hear accumounts.com does quality work.

andrewak47
12-21-2010, 2:52 PM
Hahaha - Couldn't choose between the 38 and 44 - So I grabbed both.

Now to decide which one gets the Monte Carlo stock, mount, and scope I just ordered.

Anyone have a quick source for the "turned down" bolt...?

Thanx, Danny

http://www.buymilsurp.com/bolt-body-bent-9130-pu-sniper-mosin-nagant-rifle-p-75.html

$59 if you ship yours and keep the original serial number
OR, which I've already done...
$69 and you get a brand new bolt, THE BEST FREAKING BOLT out there...excellent in every way.

BTW grats on your purchases

andrewak47
12-21-2010, 2:52 PM
sorry I just noticed it's sold out

Bongos
12-21-2010, 2:58 PM
you are going to love the recoil, nothing says Ouch! like a metal buttplate

DannyInSoCal
12-21-2010, 9:25 PM
I think I can still feel my first shoulder bruise from my dads 30-06 when I was 11 - It's not pain - It's nostalgia....