PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Palin Episode Three

Abesnake
12-05-2010, 11:11 PM
I haven't started this thread to promote Sarah Palin or comment on her obvious, but unannounced desire to run for President. I am only concerned about Hunting and how people think about our Sport. When I saw the promo for this particular Episode of the series it was obvious that it was going to be about Hunting, there would be a harvest and the show would be about not much else. It seemed to me, that she thinks, because Lincoln was a rail splitter, Reagan wore a cowboy had and split logs up in S. B. and Bush copied the idea and bought a ranch in Texas (which he sold as soon as he left office), that the image of a Hunter in Alaska filling the larder for Winter is a good image for herself. I felt the point she is missing is that most people in the lower 48 already know that she is a Hunter and maybe it should be left alone. I had mixed feelings about her actually taking a carabu on camera. People in Alaska have a different life style. I have been there and I'm not clueless. I was afraid this episode might turn out like the Nat. Geo. one that has been talked about in another thread. I didn't see the Geo. show, but I did watch Palin Episode. I found it informative, and not at all distasteful to us and I was relieved. However, if there was suppose to be some hidden political message I missed it. If any of you saw the show I'd like to know what you thought of that one episode and its affect on the image of Hunters?

Rem222
12-05-2010, 11:34 PM
It appeared the first rifle she used had not been sighted in before the hunt and her comment "does it kick" makes me think she had not became familiar with the rifle before the hunt as well. Just my 2 cents.

dirtydrew
12-06-2010, 11:03 AM
It appeared the first rifle she used had not been sighted in before the hunt and her comment "does it kick" makes me think she had not became familiar with the rifle before the hunt as well. Just my 2 cents.

I watched part of that episode...Her father was carrying that rifle and moments before he took a digger walking down a rocky slope, probably why it was off zero. Otherwise she's a horrible shot!

VictorFranko
12-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Just watched this episode last night. Agree with DirtyDrew for the scope being out of whack.
As I was watching it, I was wondering what you real hunters thought of that countryside? Would that be a dream come true trip for you?
I've backpacked in Alaska, but nothing like being flown to such a remote area.

SexPistol
12-06-2010, 12:27 PM
She's hot. But I can't help to think that I would respect her more and see her as an intelligent human being if she didn't run for vice president.

Rem222
12-06-2010, 1:40 PM
I watched part of that episode...Her father was carrying that rifle and moments before he took a digger walking down a rocky slope, probably why it was off zero. Otherwise she's a horrible shot!

Yes, I forgot that happened, your probably correct...

21SF
12-06-2010, 2:37 PM
I just cant believe people can stand that woman.

rino
12-06-2010, 5:23 PM
i dont know if i like her or not but she may be running for pres. and she likes guns, thats a good thing

PatriotnMore
12-07-2010, 9:16 AM
Just watched this episode last night. Agree with DirtyDrew for the scope being out of whack.
As I was watching it, I was wondering what you real hunters thought of that countryside? Would that be a dream come true trip for you?
I've backpacked in Alaska, but nothing like being flown to such a remote area.

That is my dream hunt, even above an African hunt. As to Sarah, I like the fact the story was about hunting, more importantly for her, it was about spending time with her 72 year old father, and a tradition going back to her childhood. Her husband could easily stock the freezer and do the hunting, but she enjoyed the time in the field with her father, not because she is a hard core hunter.

I guess everyone will take what they want, and that is my take after watching.

JOEKILLA
12-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Just wondering, why the hate on Sarah Palin?

What has she done to anyone?

jdberger
12-07-2010, 10:51 AM
I'm not a huge fan of Sarah Palin. I find her interesting and politically useful. I'm particularly amused by the amount of energy people put into hating her.

I saw the show. It was a pretty interesting vision of Alaska. Many folks (including me) think of Alaska as vast plains of snowdrifts, interrupted by the occasional impenetrable forests and small towns like that in Northern Exposure. We don't think of the tundra, that it's really a huge spongy marsh, etc. That aspect was really brought home when you realized why they had to take the second airplane. The landscape was simply impassable.

Mrs. jdberger was pretty amazed at the lady who was living way out there all by herself. She'd mentioned that she wouldn't see anyone for months at a time.

Palin also reminds me a little of my Grandmother. The scene where she was shooting at the Caribou was something I could see my Grandma doing. She shoots, Gramps reaches over and works the bolt, etc. It goes beyond saying that the rifle wasn't shooting POA. The Caribou never even moved.

The one complaint I had was that they appeared to be shooting at a skylined animal. They weren't sure of what was behind it, etc. But, perhaps there are different rules out there.

All in all, it seems to be a pretty scripted show - but if its purpose is to showcase Alaska, based upon what I saw in this episode, it's doing a fine job.

cowboy777
12-07-2010, 6:52 PM
I saw the episode and the previous shows that had them commercial fishing. I'm not really into reality shows but I find her interesting and she has the guts to put that stuff on tv. I don't think she exactly fits the demographic of that station.
When she was the VP candidate I wasn't very impressed by her except for her stance on guns and hunting. I find myself agreeing with her more and more these days I think she was really restricted by the McCain campaign from what she really wanted to say. She definitely played a huge role this year in motivating the tea party and probably serve a better purpose there. She's not my first pick for the republican candidate but not my last.

FEMUN
12-07-2010, 7:49 PM

Because she's a frik'n idiot.

taperxz
12-07-2010, 7:50 PM
She is a pretty woman who is from AK. She was the gov. she hunts, her husband hunts, dad hunts, and fishes as most men do in AK. She is show casing what all of us dream of doing as hunters. Whats the problem here? My wife asked me if i would like her to be the same way. I said "hell ya" i would take her huntin and fishin any time!! Sarah Palin would do nothing but make life easier for all of us hunters and fisherman!

Remember one thing. even if she does claim to see Russia, If they came our way we would all be ready to hunt them to if they decided they needed to invade. She may not be up to snuff on all the things going on, but i do like her attitude!!

taperxz
12-07-2010, 7:52 PM
Because she's a frik'n idiot.

and you are the leader of what state? what makes you smarter than her?

I would not vote her in as prez, but what makes you so much smarter than her?

Go ahead list your accomplishments here!

CACitUP
12-08-2010, 5:59 PM
I can see Russia from my back porch

jdberger
12-08-2010, 6:36 PM
You can?

five.five-six
12-08-2010, 6:40 PM

it's not like she is trying to raise everyones taxes and screw up their health care.... that's the kind of person that I can't stand

JOEKILLA
12-08-2010, 6:42 PM
it's not like she is trying to raise everyones taxes and screw up their health care.... that's the kind of person that I can't stand

I'm with you, if anything, she is giving us a good look at Alaska.

Yet, she is still hated, thought of as an idiot, and so on.

:confused:

five.five-six
12-08-2010, 6:44 PM
I can see Russia from my back porch

are you the kind of person that gets their "news" from the comedy channel?

cause that's actually Tina Fay.....IRL, do you h8 her too?

PC018OJfwH4

lewdogg21
12-08-2010, 7:00 PM
I want a three way with me, Sarah and Tina fey dressed as Sarah. /discussion

five.five-six
12-08-2010, 7:03 PM
I want a three way with me, Sarah and Bristol /discussion

FTFM

anyone know a good vet? cause I'm a sick puppy

pdq_wizzard
12-08-2010, 7:09 PM
Never mind I have never had the ban stick hit me so I will just say "the haters gonna hate"

I think she is much smarter than people give her credit for, hell the Left invaded Alaska on a hunt to tear her down. (and it looks like it worked)

Milsurp Collector
12-09-2010, 9:13 AM
She no doubt expected a backlash from the lily-livered animal rights lobby, but when Sarah Palin bundled a TV crew into the back of a truck and ventured forth into the wilds of Alaska to shoot caribou, the very last people she expected to annoy were the members of America's hunting community.

Not only did this week's show portray field-sports in an ugly light, say critics; it also fuelled scepticism about whether she actually knows one end of a rifle from another.

The Conservative blogosphere, usually a forum for cheerleading on behalf the Palin cause, was awash yesterday with suggestions that her outdoorsy image is an elaborate charade.

"I turned on Sarah Palin's Alaska and she just shot four maybe even five times at a caribou and missed," noted a typical comment on the Fox News host Sean Hannity's website. "Needless to say I'm not impressed with her ability to handle a firearm let alone aim it and hit."

"What a joke," wrote one viewer on Palin's Facebook page. "I was a fan before the show. No one who is a true hunter lets others carry their rifle or can't load their own shells. Sarah, you are a phony."

Read entire article at http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/hunter-becomes-the-hunted-as-palin-critics-say-she-cant-shoot-2153973.html

bubbapug1
12-09-2010, 9:39 AM
dem·a·gogue/ˈdeməˌgäg/Noun1. A political leader who seeks support by appealing to popular desires and prejudices rather than by using rational argument.

Its not her ideas and stands I dislike, I actually support many of the same ideals, its her lack of objectivity, shrill rhetorical style, and distortions of the truth that bother me.

She also is a demagogue and a gadfly. She is ultra sensitive to the point of being parinoid, lacks insight into history, and has no concept of the world as it really is. She just thinks as a failed neo-con that they can bend the world to their will through some tough talk and by waving the red white and blue...and why this may win over some simple minded shallow thinking patriots back home, it is totally inept in getting things done on a global scale ala James Baker style...with finesse and competance. Just because you disagree with bad strategic political planning doesn't mean you don't love your country, you just don't love the bad planning and planner. There is a difference, and the way Palin lays it out, if your question her intellect, and she is waving the flag, your questioning the flag...its not correct logic, but than again, some of the public has no clue about logic and history either.

We have seen where that neo con baseball bat style has taken us in Iraq where a Texas good ole boy rich kid in over his head bully toughness met reality. It failed, miserably. Now we could always start a few more needless wars based on her knee jerk temper and lose them too, declare victory, drop a few trillion in the process and leave the country to terrorist and Iran...and thats what will happen should she get her hands on the levers of power.

If you think your civil rights would be safe with her, your mistaken. She lacks the maturity and depth of character to be CEO of her own failed household, let alone CEO of the USA. If you don't see that you may want to think of her with another 50 pounds on her frame and that would change your perspective. Beauty is not brainy, don't get them confused.

bridgeport
12-09-2010, 9:45 AM
Two things. First, I saw the episode where she is at the skeet range... she simply does not look natural holding the shotgun, and anybody who shoots knows what I mean.
Second, in another episode Palin refers to one of her daughters as the "old soul" of the family. Sarah Palin claims to be a Christian, and the concept of "old soul" is certainly not Christian, rather it is a new age / eastern concept having to do with the belief in reincarnation.
My point is, that Sarah Palin is upon inspection, perhaps not what she claims to be.
The Devil, so to speak, is always in the details.

bubbapug1
12-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Two things. First, I saw the episode where she is at the skeet range... she simply does not look natural holding the shotgun, and anybody who shoots knows what I mean.

Second, in another episode Palin refers to one of her daughters as the "old soul" of the family. Sarah Palin claims to be a Christian, and the concept of "old soul" is certainly not Christian, rather it is a new age / eastern concept having to do with the belief in reincarnation.

My point is, that Sarah Palin is upon inspection, perhaps not what she claims to be.
The Devil, so to speak, is always in the details.

Exactly, closer inspection requires some time and patience, and a discriminating eye, things we are lacking in our immediate gratification culture, however her message is perfect for our culture....and flawed.

She reminds me of commodus in Gladiator when he says to hs father..."But I am none of these things, but I do have ambition, and ambition can be a virtue too...."

I agree - ambition can be a virtue, and Hitler had ambition too, but was it virtuous? No.

But back to the show, I think she is streching it a bit when she says she is an outdoorsman. She is intensly coached and she still seems very unnatural in the settings she is saying are her natural state. She's building an image for someone, and thats great if she was 17 and reaching out to grow as a human being, but she's trying to show the world she is something she obviously is not, an that smacks of fraud to me.

I am happy she is pro-gun, but the backlash of her support, and her negative numbers with the majority of voters will actually prove to be net loss for us in the long run...wait and see, it will happen.

bridgeport
12-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Bubbapug, you hit the nail on the head.

bubbapug1
12-09-2010, 10:32 AM
and you are the leader of what state? what makes you smarter than her?

I would not vote her in as prez, but what makes you so much smarter than her?

Go ahead list your accomplishments here!

Did you read her book? She didn't accomplish anything before she entered politics, and is politics an accomplishment or do most peoples values render them unavailable to a career that requires one to lie, cheat, steal, and manipulate the truth??

What was her background before politics? Nothing...odd jobs.

Deucer
12-09-2010, 10:42 AM
BUBBAPUG YOUR ARGUMENTS ARE INVALID BECAUSE YOU CLEARLY HATE AMERICA AND ARE A COMMUNIST. PALIN 2012!

Kestryll
12-09-2010, 1:03 PM
Apparently some people just can't help turning things in to political bicker-fest, even in the HUNTING FORUM.

This thread is done.