PDA

View Full Version : BIG BOAR DOWN! (with pics)

Howie44
12-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks to my good buddy, I got to hunt on his families ranch this weekend. Right after we arrived Friday afternoon I went to set up in a spot I like, and what do you know? there is a BIG boar in the neighbors field rooting for acorns. I radioed that I was on one, and assured my buddy I wouldnt shoot unless it came on the property. No sooner had I pocketed the radio, he started moving toward the fence. So moved out of my hide and went prone in the tall grass. As soon as he crossed the fence, I put my crosshairs across the bridge of his snout right in front of his eyes (I was leading him while he was moving for an 80-85 yd head shot)and squeezed . BANG! dead right f'n there! Hit him right behind the ear and turned him off like a light bulb. Nice tusker, and no meat damage. Really GREAT way to start off a weekend up in God's country! Thanks again Jeff.

Eroland7
12-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Congrats. Thats a good eatin' size. Let the feast begin...

clay32
12-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Nice color on that hog, oughta keep you fed for a while too, good work and shooting OP!!

Doheny
12-05-2010, 11:06 PM
That's a lotta bacon!

TrailerparkTrash
12-06-2010, 12:21 AM
Very nice!!! What "horsepower" did you use (Gun brand, model, bullet type and weight) pretty please??? :D:D:D

foomxyooj
12-06-2010, 12:34 AM
Nice..

Hunt
12-06-2010, 1:45 AM
yummie

Ed_Hazard
12-06-2010, 2:06 AM
Nice job Howie.:thumbsup:

Is that the same rifle from the the TTS?

PNOY
12-06-2010, 5:31 AM
Congrats on a nice hog! good shooting....

Howie44
12-06-2010, 6:48 AM
Nice job Howie.:thumbsup:

Is that the same rifle from the the TTS?

Yes Ed, that's the same stick. Thanks!

Very nice!!! What "horsepower" did you use (Gun brand, model, bullet type and weight) pretty please??? :D:D:D

That would be a Howa 1500 with the stock optics it came with (she's a GREAT shooter) in .308. And I was using "condor safe" 150gr Hornady. Anyone that thinks all copper isn't as good as lead, well all I can say is I wish they could have seen the MASSIVE wound channel that round left as it bisected this bad boys skull from his spine!

ZX-10R
12-06-2010, 7:40 AM
Very nice! Congrats!

lewdogg21
12-06-2010, 8:33 AM
Awesome. All these pig hunts have me wanting pork.

tony270
12-06-2010, 9:02 AM
That's one ugly hog, wtg Congrats:D.

Thanks for sharing.

mzimmers
12-06-2010, 9:19 AM
Anyone that thinks all copper isn't as good as lead, well all I can say is I wish they could have seen the MASSIVE wound channel that round left as it bisected this bad boys skull from his spine!

Agreed. The lead ban is stupid and misguided, but the all-copper bullets are nothing to worry about in the field. I've used both Barnes and Hornady (and hope to soon use Nosler) and I have all the confidence in both.

Very nice hog you got there.

DeanW66
12-06-2010, 9:20 AM
Awesome; I'm jealous!

Hk996
12-06-2010, 9:26 AM
NICE!!! congrats....

igorts
12-06-2010, 9:27 AM
Nice pig!, congrats!

stphnman20
12-06-2010, 9:28 AM
Good job! Nice size man!

professionalcoyotehunter
12-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Look like near the ground blind. Great job. I hope I get a small piece of him.:D I see the Howa strikes again.

Howie44
12-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Look like near the ground blind. Great job. I hope I get a small piece of him.:D I see the Howa strikes again.

Yep. I was at the ground blind when I spotted him. he came across at the fence right at that tree line where the nub starts to go up. Good call Curtis

SexPistol
12-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Nice!

junko p
12-06-2010, 3:06 PM
I was there.... Howie didn't really do it... he doctored the pics it is all a big sham!
:smartass:
j/k

Great job Howie, that was indeed an awesome pig and a great way to kick-off the weekend. Don't forget to pick-up your environmental restoration credits from the local Environmentalist location for your hard work keeping down the non-native, invasive pig population! :p

+1 Jeff
+1 Howie
+1 to Howie's shooting skills :)

professionalcoyotehunter
12-06-2010, 3:13 PM
Was this the only pig you seen all weekend?

junko p
12-06-2010, 3:18 PM
Yea,
it was the only pig of the weekend... I had a heard of 12 run past me at short range but didn't take a shot cause i didnt want to ruin the meat and my shooting skills are -1

Jeff got a real beauty of a yote... our 4th in the party did an amazing job skinning it and took the pelt. Sorry we didnt bring you the meat for jerkey :p

professionalcoyotehunter
12-06-2010, 3:19 PM
:( I need some more meat.

rumblebee
12-06-2010, 3:39 PM
:grilling::cheers2:Congrats!!!

Gasman
12-06-2010, 5:33 PM
That would be a Howa 1500 with the stock optics it came with (she's a GREAT shooter) in .308. And I was using "condor safe" 150gr Hornady. Anyone that thinks all copper isn't as good as lead, well all I can say is I wish they could have seen the MASSIVE wound channel that round left as it bisected this bad boys skull from his spine!

Nice hog! I use the same GMX load, and I think I might have experienced a bullet failure a couple of months ago. The shot was about 100 yards out with the single-file line of pigs on the move and the only window of opportunity to shoot being a small gap between two bushes. Unfortunately, the guide (one of the Willoughby brothers) did not have glass on the pig at the time of the shot, so I can't say precisely where it was hit. There was a good blood trail that we put the dogs on, but they couldn't catch up with the hog before it crossed over onto the next ranch. It's possible that the hit was a little too far back, yet the blood trail seemed too good and too bright red for a gut shot (unless it got liver). The Willoughby's have seen many solid hits with monolithic bullets that did not result in a pig down, and they curse the lead-free bullets. I have since shot another 200 lb'er with the GMX load at about 225 yards out that resulted in a DRT, but I do miss Partitions...

mrlonewolf
12-06-2010, 6:11 PM
Piggy, piggy, piggy......

Congrats!

That's a nice one.

professionalcoyotehunter
12-06-2010, 8:43 PM
Yea,
it was the only pig of the weekend... I had a heard of 12 run past me at short range but didn't take a shot cause i didnt want to ruin the meat and my shooting skills are -1

Jeff got a real beauty of a yote... our 4th in the party did an amazing job skinning it and took the pelt. Sorry we didnt bring you the meat for jerkey :p

Who was the fourth? Just curious if I know him or have hunted with him?

PNOY
12-06-2010, 8:47 PM
Howie44,
Are you hunting the west side of the property across the river? Kown Jeff for years and hunted the property many moon ago. Jeff emailed me pictures from camp including the yote he shot.
Again, congrats....

professionalcoyotehunter
12-06-2010, 9:00 PM
It was the east side near the ground blind.

180ls1
12-06-2010, 9:03 PM
very nice thanks for sharing

IAMAROBOTman
12-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Jeff got a real beauty of a yote... our 4th in the party did an amazing job skinning it and took the pelt. Sorry we didnt bring you the meat for jerkey

i've never heard of coyote jerky??? please explain.... (IDK if it is possible)

jabell
12-07-2010, 3:55 PM
there is actually more to howie's hawg story but i can only tell you this part. the rest would have to come from him but i'll keep him honest if he wants to share.
so me, brian & gary hear shots really f***ing quick (something like 1 to 2 minutes) after he radios that the boar is a 100 yards over the property line of a neighbor that despises us & will call dfg just for wearing cammo. was i a little worried that howie just couldn't contain his killer instinct. not at all. he is a calm, cool & collective cat. any way we jeep it over to his location to assist with the extraction. when we get there we are all high fiving, talking, taking pics when no more than 30 to 45 min later after the shots a nice bachelor pack of 3 comes trotting straight for us along the same route howies boar took. we scramble to set up after deciding brian would be the #1 shooter cause he's a hawg virgin. anyway we f***ed it up & got made at less than a 100 yards. i thought that was pretty exciting. we potentially could have filled all 4 of our tags with in the 1st hr of the 1st day if we had our wits about us.
maybe you guys can get howie to tell you the rest of the story that he conveniently left out.
i regurgitated a little blog about this trip to my contact list that i'll start a new thread with.

any more would have to come from him.

professionalcoyotehunter
12-07-2010, 4:22 PM
there is actually more to howie's hawg story but i can only tell you this part. the rest would have to come from him but i'll keep him honest if he wants to share.
so me, brian & gary hear shots really f***ing quick (something like 1 to 2 minutes) after he radios that the boar is a 100 yards over the property line of a neighbor that despises us & will call dfg just for wearing cammo. was i a little worried that howie just couldn't contain his killer instinct. not at all. he is a calm, cool & collective cat. any way we jeep it over to his location to assist with the extraction. when we get there we are all high fiving, talking, taking pics when no more than 30 to 45 min later after the shots a nice bachelor pack of 3 comes trotting straight for us along the same route howies boar took. we scramble to set up after deciding brian would be the #1 shooter cause he's a hawg virgin. anyway we f***ed it up & got made at less than a 100 yards. i thought that was pretty exciting. we potentially could have filled all 4 of our tags with in the 1st hr of the 1st day if we had our wits about us.
maybe you guys can get howie to tell you the rest of the story that he conveniently left out.
i regurgitated a little blog about this trip to my contact list that i'll start a new thread with.

any more would have to come from him.

I will pry it from him.:D

professionalcoyotehunter
12-07-2010, 4:22 PM

Yes, it is true I make coyote jerky.

professionalcoyotehunter
12-07-2010, 4:23 PM

Yes, it is true I make coyote jerky. My next trip out I will bring a fresh batch whether it be fishing or hunting.:D

Howie44
12-07-2010, 4:32 PM
The other 2 shots I put into his head while he was laying down because his legs were still twitching, and I wanted to make sure he wasn't suffering. In the process I shattered his right tusk. And yea, I asked permission to take him in the neighbors field . when denied I waited till he crossed the fence. Turns out I didn't need to fire the last 2. When we butchered him I found that he was just twitching from the severed spine. He was dead from the first shot, and all I did was screw up a good trophy skull. That's the whole story

Howie44
12-07-2010, 4:34 PM
And jeff, you know I called the hog down DRT before you heard the other shots

Beetle Bailey
12-07-2010, 4:51 PM
Great job, Howie! How's the meat? :grilling:

jabell
12-07-2010, 4:55 PM
yea that's the rest of the story.
just that he f**ked up a great skull that would have been killer to get metalized.
i suppose he was just trying to make a humane kill & i'm all about that.
either that or he gets a boner watching heads explode.
anyway i'm just busting your chops.
whatever your motivation was is just fine by me.
in the end the mighty beast was taken humanely.
great job & congrats again.

p.s. maybe we can revisit pch's magic bullet thread & find out why he had to shoot his last hawg 5 times at a 60 yardish range but this is enough for one day. good night all.

professionalcoyotehunter
12-07-2010, 5:16 PM
Mine was a lot bigger and was still running after the 3rd shot. Fourth dropped her and fifth was point blank right behind the shoulder after she tried to charge me.:D

All my rounds were in the kill zone also and the last two were over 100yrards running but I still hit here in the vitals everytime. Next time I will go for a head shot just for S&G's.

You are a witness to that miracle accidental robinhooded bullet. Of course I am aware you are just busting my chops. Also I never tried to hide that it took me 5 shots.:D

Also I was told to keep firing until the animal dropped. I did not want her to turn around and go back under the fence. She would have died had I let her run but we would have had to follow the blood trail. The first shot was right in the boiler room.

Even with all the holes she was just as delicious. I considered it pretenderizing the meat for the BBQ.

Howie44
12-07-2010, 5:49 PM
Great job, Howie! How's the meat? :grilling:

Don't know yet. I dropped off the hams to get smoked, and my sausage to get made yesterday, and they wont be done till right before Christmas. I'm thinking of marinating the tenderloins and BBQ'ing them for me and Melanie this weekend. I'll let you know.

professionalcoyotehunter
12-07-2010, 5:50 PM
You will have to invite me to the BBQ.

Howie44
12-07-2010, 7:29 PM
Mine was a lot bigger and was still running after the 3rd shot. Fourth dropped her and fifth was point blank right behind the shoulder after she tried to charge me.:D

All my rounds were in the kill zone also and the last two were over 100yrards running but I still hit here in the vitals everytime. Next time I will go for a head shot just for S&G's.

You are a witness to that miracle accidental robinhooded bullet. Of course I am aware you are just busting my chops. Also I never tried to hide that it took me 5 shots.:D

Also I was told to keep firing until the animal dropped. I did not want her to turn around and go back under the fence. She would have died had I let her run but we would have had to follow the blood trail. The first shot was right in the boiler room.

Even with all the holes she was just as delicious. I considered it pretenderizing the meat for the BBQ.

It would be hard to say if yours was really bigger, but if you put the pics of yours (with you) and mine (with me) side by side, consider the scale. Because I am almost twice your size! :p (and in the night pic he was already gutted before I put him on the gambrel)

jabell
12-08-2010, 11:41 AM
we now have a scale in hog camp that will end all this b.s.
unfortunately we totally spaced & didn't think to use it on howie's hog.
i can testify that it was a 225 to 250 lber with the nicest tusks i've seen in a long time. the pics don't even come close to doing it justice. howie is the best shot i know & i'm sure next time he won't feel the need to shoot it 3 times in the head with a high powered rifle to put it down humanely. unless he just gets off on that **** which again i'm fine with as long as the beast does not suffer.
you go boy :25: :taz:

professionalcoyotehunter
12-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Next time, no games, I will just put one right behind the ear. Since mine was a standing quartering towards shot I should have went for the head. mine is gutted here as well. We look about the same size I am 5ft 10" 220 in the picture.:D Mine is clearly bigger.:D

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp65/professionalcoyotehunter/Hunting/DSC00711.jpghttp://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp65/professionalcoyotehunter/Hunting/HowiesHog.jpg

You know this is not a personal attack and that I am just joking around right?

hammerhands32
12-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Somehow i didn't realize that feral hogs had that much hair. Congrats on the hunt

jabell
12-08-2010, 1:03 PM
since we didn't weigh them.
why don't you 2 monkeys just get a ruler out.
whip out your d**ks & whoever's is bigger wins.
then we can all move on to more interesting subjects.
just my not so humble 2 cents worth on the subject,
jeff :jump:

professionalcoyotehunter
12-08-2010, 1:08 PM
They dont make rulers that big.:D

Either way congrats Howie. We need to go shooting sometime so I can learn a few tricks from you and teach you a few also.

Howie44
12-08-2010, 1:15 PM
They dont make rulers that big.:D

Either way congrats Howie. We need to go shooting sometime so I can learn a few tricks from you and teach you a few also.

DEAL. I'm sitting on a couple crates of surplus right now, and I owe Jeff a range trip anyway.

zerohour714
12-08-2010, 7:16 PM
Great hawg Howie!!!

bearstatearmory.com
12-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Here piggy piggy, BANG! Nice job!

professionalcoyotehunter
12-09-2010, 11:18 AM
http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp65/professionalcoyotehunter/Funnypig.jpg

santamonica9
12-11-2010, 4:31 AM
WOW - over 400 views on all the pics, very impressed. I had the pleasure of hearing the entire story from Howie about the hunt. I am so jealous I decided to go out and get my hunting creds taking care of.

Howie did tell me about the other shots to make sure the animal was taken humanely BUT the best part of the story is that "Stinky" tricked you. Its all your own falt for severing the spine in your first shot :D

my brother from another mother blasting away AGAIN - Brian I want to hear about your exploits too - Hooligans forever

cryoguy
12-12-2010, 5:44 PM
Great looking hog Howie. Good job!

Eastwood
12-12-2010, 7:28 PM
Turns out I didn't need to fire the last 2. When we butchered him I found that he was just twitching from the severed spine. He was dead from the first shot, and all I did was screw up a good trophy skull. That's the whole story

Waste of bullets and home decor (wild hog skull). Next time "pull a Daniel Boone" and slit it's throat....!