PDA

View Full Version : My First Rifle & First C&R! K31

DasBoost
12-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Originally put money down at Vallejo show in September, but a paperwork screwup at DMV put off me picking it up until Saturday; I thought the 10 days for my M&P was bad, but this took the cake! :D Also, pre-apologizing for the crappy Crackberry pictures. Numbers match, original sling, but no bayonet.
http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq23/VeeDubberGLI/buttplatetag.jpg The tag with soldier's info under the butt-plate.
http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq23/VeeDubberGLI/pwredmondwonbarrel.jpg Markings on barrel behind front sight; reads, PW Redmond W (possibly an A after the W). Any insight? New barrel maybe?
http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq23/VeeDubberGLI/sightchambershield.jpg Snap caps for first dry-fire after cleaning and oiling.
http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq23/VeeDubberGLI/boltboltgroup.jpg Stock is definitely rough but nothing major.

My only concern is the top half of the stock, where it meets the metal plate the rear sight is on, has some play to it- is that just because there is no metal band very close or could this be a problem?

Now to stock up on replacement parts, GP-11, dies, Graf brass, and enjoy it. So happy to finally have it! Compared to my polymer/metal M&P, this rifle has "soul": the nicks in the stock, the wear on the finish on bolt assembly, the smell of the finish and gun oil, and the tag under the butt-plate. Unfortunately, it now sits snuggled in a Boyt case until finals are over and I'm back home... :(

t0kie
12-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Congrats!
________
Live Sex (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Tanner68
12-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Congratulations. Great first choice! Don't worry about that play until you see how it shoots. Some of mine have play in the upper hand guard. And they shoot better than me. Get ready for some serious long range work with iron sights. Pick up some of the nifty waxed cardboard chargers if you get a chance.

Shady
12-05-2010, 10:25 PM
good first rifle

Rem222
12-05-2010, 10:26 PM
A K31 is worth the wait. Let us know how it shoots.... Congrats.

IrishPirate
12-05-2010, 10:32 PM
nice score!! hopefully the play in the stock won't be much of a bother. The ONLY bad thing i've heard about k31's is that a few people had issues with the gun firing when the bolt wasn't all the way forward, which caused the bolt to spring backwards and smack some people right in the face. I doubt it was a manufacturing problem...most likely user error....but i still think it's something every k31 owner should at least know about.

congrats again, hopefully she lives up to the k31 reputation!!!

Vee3
12-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Eggselent choice. My most accurate milsurp and 2nd most favorite after my K98k. Recently bought another two cases of GP-11. Got a Mojo sight for mine and it helps me shoot better.

Looks like you got one with a walnut stock (Can't be sure from the pics)?

One thing to check is if the front bbl band clamps the stock/handguard tight around the bbl. The wood has swelled on many of them and can cause accuracy problems as the bbl heats up. Easy fix; just cut two shims from a business card and put them on either side at the gap between the wood pieces. Helped mine shoot better groups.

DasBoost
12-06-2010, 7:51 AM
Thanks guys!
Tanner 68:As for the info about the play in the handguard, thanks for the info on that. As for tracking down the carboard/tin chargers, I'll have to Google and try to find those; only other option is a $50 box mag from Grafs...

Vee3:I believe it is a walnut stock, as it was produced in 1941 based off of the serial number.Thanks for the info on the business card shims; the clamps are tight and the only gap is a very very slight gap/wiggle in upper handguard.

Irish Pirate: As far as the issue of firing with the bolt all of the way forward, when I was dry firing it, it did engage when it was about a half inch from fully forward; I'm now extra sure and careful of that after noticing that!:laugh:

Definitely can't wait to get to the range and will definitely report back on my experience! Thanks again for all of the info and help!:santa:

OHOD
12-06-2010, 7:58 AM
Nice specimen, nice indeed.

Are those rounds in the magazine?

mauser98k
12-06-2010, 11:01 AM
"PW Redmond W (possibly an A after the W). Any insight? New barrel maybe?"

that's the importer

paul0660
12-06-2010, 11:07 AM
The bolt is closed when the serial number is at 12 o'clock, but just be sure to be forceful both opening and closing. Like all battle rifles, it was designed to be operated while terrified.

Datamancer
12-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Congrats! I'll have to pick up one of those for myself soon.

-~D~-

DasBoost
12-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Nice specimen, nice indeed.

Are those rounds in the magazine?

7.5 Swiss Snap Caps to dry fire with after oiling and cleaning. Not loading live rounds in my house to practice with. :eek:

"PW Redmond W (possibly an A after the W). Any insight? New barrel maybe?"

that's the importer
Yes, found that out on another forum. Thank you for the info. :cheers2:

The bolt is closed when the serial number is at 12 o'clock, but just be sure to be forceful both opening and closing. Like all battle rifles, it was designed to be operated while terrified.:D

I was initially worried I was being too rough but found the only way to make sure everything operated smoothly was to be forceful. Thanks for the info! :)

DasBoost
12-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Congrats! I'll have to pick up one of those for myself soon.

-~D~-

Thanks. Missed you in the above answering, but I found mine at a local shop; AIMSurplus has/had them for $199 +FFL+Shipping, but I'm not sure on their stock. They also don't ship firearms/ammo to my county I live in.:( JGSales also has an available stock also and theirs run about $220 I believe.

As this is my first rifle and C&R and one of my 'bucket list' guns, I will be babying it as uch as possible while getting the most out of it. Google and various other C&R forums have been a godsend, plus the C&R forum here has a great community/resource pool; it's nice to join in and be a part.:D

paul0660
12-06-2010, 11:57 AM
You will want this. It is good to oil the bolt, since it has probably been a while:

http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/rheadrick/k31bolt.html

DasBoost
12-06-2010, 12:51 PM
You will want this. It is good to oil the bolt, since it has probably been a while:

http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/rheadrick/k31bolt.html

Thanks, I did everything but the extractor dis-assembly and cleaning! I picked up the Radocy guide for $6 on eBay. I've been stockpiling cleaning supplies, guides, etc while waiting for it. :D Great link too!

glennsche
12-06-2010, 1:24 PM
you'll be spoiled from here on out. :)

starting a milsurp / c&r collection with a k31 is like learning to drive with a nice 80s sports car. its not the top of the line, its not the best ever on the street, but you'll never be able to drive a chevy truck and not look down your nose.

i have two k31s, and shoot them both accurately at 400-600yrds over open sights. from my collection only the k98 gets close. the k31s are accurate as hell, match grade triggers, super good cartridge, sweet bolt... <sigh>

in short, its like getting getting your first kiss from a super model: its all down hill from there. :)

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s52/glennsche/CIMG1127.jpg

DasBoost
12-06-2010, 1:52 PM

starting a milsurp / c&r collection with a k31 is like learning to drive with a nice 80s sports car. its not the top of the line, its not the best ever on the street, but you'll never be able to drive a chevy truck and not look down your nose.

i have two k31s, and shoot them both accurately at 400-600yrds over open sights. from my collection only the k98 gets close. the k31s are accurate as hell, match grade triggers, super good cartridge, sweet bolt... <sigh>

in short, its like getting getting your first kiss from a super model: its all down hill from there. :)

Gorgeous rifles!! Much better looking than mine, but I think that's because I got the clumsiest reservist's rifle.:D Is the one on the right a later beech stock or is that a new stock? I honestly think that the smile would've faded from my face by now if I got that kiss; still have it on my face from the rifle even though it's miles away. Right now I'm pricing parts and found replacements that I plan on buying soon, but am not sure of where to find barrels:confused:; I take it the custom route is the only available way?

Hope to have all of the replacement parts and 100+ rds of GP-11 after Christmas. Then while I slowly ration that ammo, I pinch pennies and save for reloading supplies.

DasBoost
12-19-2010, 9:10 PM
UPDATE: Ordered 200rds of GP-11 from Grafs, received my 9 chargers, and found out my firing pin doesn't look so much a pic as it does a ball point pen... :mad: It's blunted and rounded, like a little ball on the end of it and I'm not sure if this will cause it to not fire. Any input Calgunners?? It hits hard, as I found out disassembling it and the spring to clean this weekend; hit the pad of my index finger and left a mark on my finger nail... :rolleyes: Lesson learned. Range pics and report will come as soon as clear skies permit. EDIT: Anyone have any tips on oiling or maintaining the stock to keep it nice? I don't want to refinish it and lose the character, but I don't want it to degrade. Thanks!

smle-man
12-19-2010, 9:40 PM
nice score!! hopefully the play in the stock won't be much of a bother. The ONLY bad thing i've heard about k31's is that a few people had issues with the gun firing when the bolt wasn't all the way forward, which caused the bolt to spring backwards and smack some people right in the face. I doubt it was a manufacturing problem...most likely user error....but i still think it's something every k31 owner should at least know about.

congrats again, hopefully she lives up to the k31 reputation!!!

The rifle will not fire unless the action is completely closed. What may happen is that the tab on the operating handle may break off if the rifle is snapped repeatedly with the action not fully closed but the cartridge will not fire.

DasBoost
12-19-2010, 11:34 PM
Well, I know from dry firing that the bolt can be about 1" back from fully closed (serial # is at 9-10 o' clock position) that the trigger can be pulled and the action engaged and fired. Not trying that with real ammo though, un uh...

OpenSightsOnly
12-20-2010, 7:10 PM
UPDATE: Ordered 200rds of GP-11 from Grafs, received my 9 chargers, and found out my firing pin doesn't look so much a pic as it does a ball point pen... :mad: It's blunted and rounded, like a little ball on the end of it and I'm not sure if this will cause it to not fire. Any input Calgunners?? It hits hard, as I found out disassembling it and the spring to clean this weekend; hit the pad of my index finger and left a mark on my finger nail... :rolleyes: Lesson learned. Range pics and report will come as soon as clear skies permit. EDIT: Anyone have any tips on oiling or maintaining the stock to keep it nice? I don't want to refinish it and lose the character, but I don't want it to degrade. Thanks!

Waffenfett is a yellowish grease that is used to lube the metal/moving parts.

If you have a walnut stock, they used linseed oil cut with turpentine. Then, waffenfett is used to seal the stock.

Anchors
12-20-2010, 7:32 PM

Wow those are the gnarliest bayonets I've ever seen.

Awesome rifles everyone. I really like the former user's information on it. Adds to the history. Can you imagine if Mosins had that :p haha

Pthfndr
12-20-2010, 9:10 PM
Well, I know from dry firing that the bolt can be about 1" back from fully closed (serial # is at 9-10 o' clock position) that the trigger can be pulled and the action engaged and fired. Not trying that with real ammo though, un uh...

That's normal. The serial number not being at the 12 o'clock position means the bolt was not in battery (bolt not fully closed). Had you been at the range and been trying to fire live ammo you would have got a click but no bang. The firing pin would not have gone forward enough to set off the primer.

knucklehead0202
12-20-2010, 10:05 PM
k31 first huh? think i started with a hammered type 99 arisaka, or maybe my sks, but to begin a c&r collection with a k31 is about like starting a car collection with a 55 thunderbird. very nice. take it out, shoot it, love it, but don't get too crazy about babying it, just keep it maintained and it'll look like it does when we're all dead. let's face it, it's already gone 70 or so years and is in pretty good shape right?

67Roadster
12-20-2010, 10:14 PM
here's a link to a manual for your new K31

http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/english_k11_k31_manual.pdf

DasBoost
12-20-2010, 10:54 PM
Thanks for all of the information guys! It is much appreciated.

@OpenSightsOnly: Thanks for the info. I don't plan on coddling it, just want to keep it from getting worse. I'll try and track Waffenfett down. Right now, I'm using Breakfree CLP and MPro7 for cleaning/lubricating purposes. Would something like Waffenfett be better?

Pthfndr: Good to know! Going to the range as soon as ammo and clear skies arrive. Range pics will be posted here also. :)

knucklehead0202: Yeah, I got lucky to say the least. K31 is one of my 'Bucket List' guns.

67 Roadster: thanks for the link! I have the Radocy Takedown Guide but this is very in-depth!

As always, thanks for the pictures, info, and links. You guys have been great and I will get better pictures up ASAP.

DasBoost
12-20-2010, 11:34 PM
Also, I've scoured forums looking for a sub for waffenfett. I've heard white lithium grease works for bolt/action (I've got that) from some guys on a few forums but not sure about finding anything to replace waffenfett to seal stock.