PDA

View Full Version : S&W MP 15-22 lock?

4ntvings
12-05-2010, 6:45 PM
Hoping someone can shed light on this:

I purchased a new MP 15-22 and its coming out of the 10 day DROS soon. I am wondering if a cable lock is required to pick it up or does S&W provide it with all 15-22 purchases? I bought it from Turners during their BF sale :D

TIA everyone!

bearj
12-05-2010, 6:50 PM
they come with one in the box

Javi
12-05-2010, 7:08 PM
The guy asked me if I had a lock and I didn't so I paid the $6 to get one.

4ntvings
12-05-2010, 7:39 PM
they come with one in the box

awesome!

The guy asked me if I had a lock and I didn't so I paid the $6 to get one.

uhmmmmm, darn!

now i'm confused :confused:

iareConfusE
12-05-2010, 9:11 PM
Just fill out the safe affidavit. Go online, find a safe thats on the CA approved list, memorize model name, and put it down. You won't have to buy another crappy lock again... Or you could just buy a stupid lock and return it right after.

iareConfusE
12-05-2010, 9:11 PM
Just fill out the safe affidavit. Go online, find a safe thats on the CA approved list, memorize model name, and put it down. You won't have to buy another crappy lock again... Or you could just buy a stupid lock and return it right after.

caoboy
12-05-2010, 9:22 PM

Go buy a locking rifle case if you don't have one ( a trunk with a pass through will not be OK to transport a gun and you'll need one if you have a trunk like I mentioned) and/or buy a security cabinet, which will meet the needs of the BATF or DOJ, whichever needs that safety blanket. Besides, you SHOULD have something to lock up your rifle, one can never be too safe. Also, I've never needed to put down what type of safe I have on the affidavit, I just told them I have a safe.

Ron-Solo
12-05-2010, 9:38 PM

Please don't suggest committing perjury on an official douument to purchase a firearm.

Smith & Wesson includes locks. Some gun stores have no scruples and take the locks out of the boxes to make a few extra bucks.

Better yet, BUY A SAFE.

JeffM
12-05-2010, 9:57 PM
Smith and Wesson M&P15-22 rifles come with Regal RL15SC (IIRC) locks from the factory and therefore comply with CA law without the need to purchase a lock or fill out the affidavit.

Not all FFLs will use the OEM lock, or accept the safe affidavit, or accept a lock w/receipt from somewhere else. It is often ignorance, but sometimes it's used to make a quick couple of extra bucks by making the customer buy one of the shops locks. YMMV.

scootle
12-05-2010, 10:22 PM
my 15-22 from a norcal big5 came with a lock from the factory.

when transporting the gun home for the first time, the manufacturer box is sufficient, i believe, as long as you keep it in the trunk. long guns (unless they are actual assault weapons) are not as restricted during transport as handguns (e.g. you do not have to lock them in a box).

please correct me if i'm mistaken.

enjoy your new rifle! i love mine... and it is a black hole of money spent on doodads and ammo... lots of ammo. buy spare magazines asap! ;)

caoboy
12-05-2010, 10:58 PM

when transporting the gun home for the first time, the manufacturer box is sufficient, i believe, as long as you keep it in the trunk. long guns (unless they are actual assault weapons) are not as restricted during transport as handguns (e.g. you do not have to lock them in a box).

enjoy your new rifle! i love mine... and it is a black hole of money spent on doodads and ammo... lots of ammo. buy spare magazines asap! ;)

You know what, that might be true. I think the school zone law might affect transport though.

iareConfusE
12-05-2010, 11:42 PM
Go buy a locking rifle case if you don't have one ( a trunk with a pass through will not be OK to transport a gun and you'll need one if you have a trunk like I mentioned) and/or buy a security cabinet, which will meet the needs of the BATF or DOJ, whichever needs that safety blanket. Besides, you SHOULD have something to lock up your rifle, one can never be too safe. Also, I've never needed to put down what type of safe I have on the affidavit, I just told them I have a safe.

Rifles don't need to be transported locked, just unloaded. - http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/travel.php

You seem to be correct.

JeffM
12-05-2010, 11:49 PM
Rifles don't need to be transported locked, just unloaded. - http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/travel.php

Except within 1000 feet of a K-12 school per 18 USC 921(a)(25, 26), 922(q)(1)

caoboy
12-06-2010, 1:09 AM
Except within 1000 feet of a K-12 school per 18 USC 921(a)(25, 26), 922(q)(1)

Thanks for the confirmation. Better to be safe than sorry anyways, right?

scuds03
12-06-2010, 1:42 AM
My 15-22 came with a cable lock from S&W for free. To the guy that paid $6 bucks for one, you should call the gunstore you bought your rifle from and tell them that because they screwed you for 6 bucks on a lock that comes free from the factory, you're not going to buy anymore guns from them!

triggs75
12-06-2010, 9:47 AM
I just went to my local police department and they gave me a couple of the gun locks for free.

Chad

iareConfusE
12-06-2010, 11:25 AM
I just went to my local police department and they gave me a couple of the gun locks for free.

Chad

Those locks wont count towards a new gun purchase though. You need to present a receipt showing that you purchased the lock within 30 days of the DROS I think.

Javi
12-06-2010, 1:00 PM
uhmmmmm, darn!

now i'm confused :confused:
Same here haha.

Not all FFLs will use the OEM lock, or accept the safe affidavit, or accept a lock w/receipt from somewhere else. It is often ignorance, but sometimes it's used to make a quick couple of extra bucks by making the customer buy one of the shops locks. YMMV.
My 15-22 came with a cable lock from S&W for free. To the guy that paid $6 bucks for one, you should call the gunstore you bought your rifle from and tell them that because they screwed you for 6 bucks on a lock that comes free from the factory, you're not going to buy anymore guns from them!

Ohhh.. :(
How weird because my cousin bought a Ruger 10/22 from the same store and his came with the lock already. I saw no other lock inside of the S&W box aside from the one I bought (Regal R15SC). My cousin also had to buy a cable lock when he bought his Glock 23 a week or two before. I'm assuming that one didn't have a factory one though.

edit: Wait, that Regal lock is from S&W? What the hell happened?! hahah

scootle
12-06-2010, 3:03 PM
I think the Regal locks are a cheap Made in China job that are commonly included with a variety of firearms.

I will tell you for a fact that both my S&W 15-22 and my full-size M&P9 included the same exact cheapo lock in the box for CA sales. So either your gun dealer is pulling your leg or the lock is hidden under one of the flaps in the packaging.

When I purchased my Savage Mk II bolt-action, it didn't come with any lock at all (but I have a DOJ container at home), so it is likely either distributor-, or manufacturer-dependent.

SMOKEYMOUNTAIN
12-06-2010, 3:11 PM
Yup, my M&P 15-22 came with a lock. Don't let the salesperson pull a fast one on u.

Javi
12-06-2010, 3:27 PM
Damn, yeah sounds like I'll be going in for that. I checked my receipt and I payed for a "Dac Tec" cable lock..Looked it up and it's definitely not that. Scootle, all that's in my rifle's box right now is cardboard and this paper that was wrapped around the handguard. Smokey: I had no clue that they would do that haha on accident or on purpose. The guy asked me if I owned a cable lock, safe or something like that and I didn't so he sold me the cable lock. I received a rifle from their warehouse so I didn't know what the contents of the box were aside from the magazine and rifle itself. When I picked it up and the woman showed me all the contents, the lock was there so I assumed that was the one I had to buy.

Javi
12-06-2010, 3:33 PM
OP: I bought my rifle from Turner's Outdoorsman in Chino Hills, if that helps.

scootle
12-06-2010, 3:36 PM
Look at the bright side though.... for $6, you now have a ticket to buy as many long guns as you want with that lock receipt in the next 30 days! Start shopping! ;)

It's weird you had no lock in the box though... I wonder if the vendor really did pull a fast one. I bought two S&W products so far from different dealers and both came with a lock. My Ruger Mk III pistol even came with a "custom" bolt lock from Ruger inside the package!

If you have the space and funds though, a DOJ approved storage container is good piece of mind. Most things don't have as severe consequences if stolen as firearms, imho.

4ntvings
12-06-2010, 4:08 PM
thank you all for your generous input.

so i guess the consensus is my new s&w mp 15-22 should come with a cable lock, from Turner's.

when i purchased my 22/45, from the same Turner's it too came with a lock. in addition, my glocks and ruger rifles had locks as well.

can ya believe, i was supposed to pick up my baby 15-22 today, but, i'm so busy at work, i'm unable to!!! :(

Javi
12-06-2010, 7:01 PM
It's weird you had no lock in the box though... I wonder if the vendor really did pull a fast one. I bought two S&W products so far from different dealers and both came with a lock. My Ruger Mk III pistol even came with a "custom" bolt lock from Ruger inside the package!

The box had the Regal inside of it when I brought it home but that's the one that's SUPPOSE to come free in it, right? I was charged for a "Dac Tec" one and I never got that one..so very confusing!

scootle
12-06-2010, 8:16 PM
The box had the Regal inside of it when I brought it home but that's the one that's SUPPOSE to come free in it, right? I was charged for a "Dac Tec" one and I never got that one..so very confusing!

Sounds like they jacked you for the $6 if the Regal is inside. S&W shipped my 15-22 with a Regal R15SC (Made in China) lock with red plastic covering. I bought it at a NorCal Big5.

$6 isn't much, but that's a box of 100 CCI Mini-Mags, so maybe that's worth chasing down! :D

Javi
12-06-2010, 9:30 PM
Haha, definetly! It's not much but 1) I did want to buy something there like a box of 50 rounds or a can of CLP 2) I can't let them "get me" like that.

SMOKEYMOUNTAIN
12-07-2010, 9:55 PM
Damn, yeah sounds like I'll be going in for that. I checked my receipt and I payed for a "Dac Tec" cable lock..Looked it up and it's definitely not that. Scootle, all that's in my rifle's box right now is cardboard and this paper that was wrapped around the handguard. Smokey: I had no clue that they would do that haha on accident or on purpose. The guy asked me if I owned a cable lock, safe or something like that and I didn't so he sold me the cable lock. I received a rifle from their warehouse so I didn't know what the contents of the box were aside from the magazine and rifle itself. When I picked it up and the woman showed me all the contents, the lock was there so I assumed that was the one I had to buy.

The Turner salesperson is either incompetent or dishonest. Either way it's unacceptable. This is their line of business.

I had no idea that the 15-22 came with a lock when I paid for it at Big 5. I even asked the salesperson if I needed a lock and he said, "No worries this gun comes with a lock already."

Javi
12-08-2010, 10:26 AM
I'll make sure to ask next time. I went to Turner's this morning and it was indeed intended to come with the lock. The guy that actually sold it to me was there as well as a (I'm assuming?) more experienced employee there. He told the older gent that sold it to me to make sure that the firearm is on a list of theirs that mention if it comes with a lock or not, a few times. I got my $6 something back in cash so I'll get a can of CLP in a day or two :) I asked the two guy's behind the counter that I'd take store credit but the guy at the register gave me cash and it was quiet and maybe a little uneasy in there hahah so I just took the cash and left. Hey, thanks for letting me know guys! Wonder if the OP got their rifle yet.

4ntvings
12-08-2010, 1:00 PM
Wonder if the OP got their rifle yet.

Coincidentally, I'm on my way now :D

scootle
12-08-2010, 1:52 PM
Just FYI, typically, they are supposed to let you inspect the weapon before you start the DROS, but I guess it sounds like you had to have the order come from the warehouse, so that was not an option. If you had opened the box prior to sale, you would have seen the lock inside the package from S&W!

Enjoy the new toy. :D

PS buy spare magazines... now. ;)

4ntvings
12-08-2010, 2:21 PM
UPDATE
yes, new s&w mp15-22 does come with the cable lock :)

Just FYI, typically, they are supposed to let you inspect the weapon before you start the DROS, but I guess it sounds like you had to have the order come from the warehouse, so that was not an option. If you had opened the box prior to sale, you would have seen the lock inside the package from S&W!

it was a BF sale and none on hand in the store (I assume in their w/h). i was informed only 3 CA standard per store and then they would pitch the MOEs after.

thank you to all who chimed in! :cool:

donw
12-09-2010, 8:17 AM
just do what ever they call for...

it's been my experience that in the end..."their" own "system" is self defeating. the best way to defeat ANY system is use it to defeat it...think about it.

i was amazed at the locking system Marlin proivided for the 1894 lever action i purchased a while ago...you would, nearly, have to destroy the rifle to remove it without the key.

4ntvings
12-09-2010, 9:41 AM

just bought some extra mags from allied armory :D, imho good price
cant wait to go shooting!!!!!!!!!!

Javi
12-09-2010, 5:54 PM
just bought some extra mags from allied armory :D, imho good price
cant wait to go shooting!!!!!!!!!!
I thought it was a good price too, randomly found them during a google search. Would be awesome if those light mags would ship for $4-5 but it's still good :) I'll have to order another two more semi-soon. You'll get them pretty fast even though they're coming from Texas.

jackandblood
12-10-2010, 4:32 PM
I use the locks on my airsoft and pellet guns and hide my good stuff in hopes of confusing the hell out of would be thieves.