PDA

View Full Version : Is there a limit on how many guns I can purchase within a certain time period?

Gundam
07-09-2006, 1:53 AM
Ok, I'm a little unclear about the law in regards to purchasing limits. Here are the facts regarding my situation:

1. I just recently completed a transfer for a Sig P229 from my friend.
2. I am also about to recieve a custom made sniper rifle from out of state that will be transfered by a local FFL.
3. I would like to buy a Springfield 1911 sometime in the near future.

Now here's my question...I know that there is a limit on purchasing a handgun every 30 days in CA. Am I correct in assuming that there is no such limit on rifles? Second...will I have to wait 30 days from the time I purchased my Sig from my friend before I can get another pistol, or do I have to wait 30 days from when I actually picked it up?

leelaw
07-09-2006, 2:14 AM
Long guns: No limit.

Handguns -
New: One handgun per 30 days (DROS must be spanned 30 days apart)
PPT: No limit

tenpercentfirearms
07-09-2006, 6:45 AM
Yes, to say again. PPT does not count. So, you can start that Springfield purchase from a gun dealer at any time. The second that DROS is ran, you will not be able to DROS another new handgun for 30 24 hour periods.

EOD Guy
07-10-2006, 5:12 AM
There are some exceptions to the one handgun a month law. For instance, if you have a C&R FFL and a COE from the Cal DOJ, you are exempt for all handguns, not just C&R's.

Sig226
07-10-2006, 7:45 PM
Can you buy two or more pistols at once? (Non-PPT)

I've never thought of that....

Dave

blkA4alb
07-10-2006, 8:18 PM

Dave
Uh no, thats DROSing two handguns within 30 days. It doesn't matter if you buy them on the same day. One gets entered, then the other. The 2nd one being illegal. So no.

EOD Guy
07-11-2006, 7:18 AM
Uh no, thats DROSing two handguns within 30 days. It doesn't matter if you buy them on the same day. One gets entered, then the other. The 2nd one being illegal. So no.

Unless you meet one of the exemptions in Penal Code Section 12072(a)(9)(B).

One of them is having a C&R FFL and COE, which several people on this board do have. I have purchased 2 handguns at the same time, from the same dealer, and had no problem with the DROS.

SemiAutoSam
07-11-2006, 7:27 AM

Guess there is no need then for the BATF multiple handgun sales form huh

http://www.nrapublications.org/archives/fabric.asp

sac7000
07-11-2006, 10:04 AM

Dave

I have made multiple handgun purchases from a single dealer in one day. Paid for all three handguns at once (they were on sale) but only drosed one while the other two were kept in the dealers gun safe. At the end of each 30 day waiting period, I drosed another until all three were transfered.