PDA

View Full Version : 998 Bears

pieeater
12-05-2010, 6:18 PM
As of Dec 2 whats up with that? Will Bear season run the full length this year?

foomxyooj
12-05-2010, 6:54 PM
Probably. I have yet to fill my bear tag. Only been out once.

Bearclaw
12-06-2010, 7:25 PM
Yeah...I gotta blame it on the crappy economy. I was able to make it out for a week during deer season (also with a bear tag of course), but I haven't been able to get out to hunt bear since. :(

ChrisO
12-06-2010, 7:35 PM
When does the season end?

drs2714
12-06-2010, 7:37 PM
general bear hunting season will close on December 26, 2010, or when the DFG receives report of 1,700 bears taken, whichever occurs first.

pieeater
12-06-2010, 8:11 PM
Its lookin like it will go to the 26th at this rate.

general bear hunting season will close on December 26, 2010, or when the DFG receives report of 1,700 bears taken, whichever occurs first.

IAMAROBOTman
12-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Yeah...I gotta blame it on the crappy economy. I was able to make it out for a week during deer season (also with a bear tag of course), but I haven't been able to get out to hunt bear since.

Your not the only one out there. I've only gone a fulls day to pack a bear. And i still have my tag. Bad luck. But we still have till the 26th. Maybe we should plan a date. lol...

AndrewMendez
12-07-2010, 2:56 AM
Where do you guys hunt bear at?

TrailerparkTrash
12-07-2010, 4:39 AM

I like hunting panda bears in the forest of China..... :chris::chris::chris::eek::eek:

Interloper
12-07-2010, 11:30 AM
The weather has a lot to do with it. Here in the mountains we were nearly shut out of the last two weeks of D3-5 deer season due to early snow. That was back in late October and it has snowed a bunch since then. Basically all the roads are impassible. I thought maybe the bears had hunkered down by now but maybe not. We were able to get up to 5800 ft. after this little warm spell. We went up to the lake to cut our Christmas trees and sure enough. Huge bear prints in the snow. I'm going back later in the week with my snow shoes.

Plumas and Tahoe Nat'l for me. I see bear every year up here. The last two years I've only seen sows with small cubs but lot's of sign.

drs2714
12-07-2010, 12:00 PM

Alot of scouting and research.There are bears in the mountains to the north of you in D-11.Very few are willing to hike in after them.Most of the prime spots are surrounded by private properties and you have to get trespass right 1st.Make sure you get it in writing.
Try to find someone with experience with your area and pick their brain.Unless you know someone who lives up against the hills in Bradbury or Monrovia.
GL.
Willie

professionalcoyotehunter
12-08-2010, 8:52 AM
1062 as of last night.

lewdogg21
12-08-2010, 9:48 AM
I shot 9 last night.... 2 were off the back porch at Pie's from the hottub with a crown and coke in hand.

pieeater
12-08-2010, 4:06 PM
1062 as of dec 6th

Nor-Cal
12-08-2010, 5:35 PM
What are some good spots up in Nor-Cal or sierras?

professionalcoyotehunter
12-08-2010, 5:41 PM
Anywhere in the sierras off the valley floor

pieeater
12-08-2010, 6:57 PM
What are some good spots up in Nor-Cal or sierras?

Trinity,Humbolt Shasta, Siskiyou. Mendocino

lewdogg21
12-08-2010, 7:06 PM
Ok so will bears be active at let's say 4600' or do they just move down to where the can easily get around in the snow?

Interloper
12-08-2010, 7:35 PM
Ok so will bears be active at let's say 4600' or do they just move down to where the can easily get around in the snow?

Great question.
I figured that bears in CA wouldn't hibernate. I thought they would simply move down in elevation. I asked a Warden in Tahoe and he said yes, they do hibernate. But here I followed fairly fresh tracks on Friday though deep snow at 5800 feet. So I'm not really sure. Maybe they sleep from January or so on into spring.

trautert
12-08-2010, 8:19 PM
Got my bear this year. Humboldt County in the NF. 6+ feet, about 275 pounds boar.

pieeater
12-08-2010, 8:32 PM
I think they pretty much hibernate eveywhere. I just got back from bobcat hunting at 2000 to 4000 ft. In an area that is overrun with bears and I didnt see a single track.In october I would have seen at least 20 bears in this area.

pieeater
12-08-2010, 8:35 PM
I have seen a lot of bears in Ca and I cant remember ever seeing a single bear from dec1 to mar 1. I have seen a few odd tracks during this time but they seem to be pretty rare.

Great question.
I figured that bears in CA wouldn't hibernate. I thought they would simply move down in elevation. I asked a Warden in Tahoe and he said yes, they do hibernate. But here I followed fairly fresh tracks on Friday though deep snow at 5800 feet. So I'm not really sure. Maybe they sleep from January or so on into spring.

IAMAROBOTman
12-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Quick noob question, how would you look for a bear in this weather/month? i don't do december bear hunts. lol...

AndrewMendez
12-09-2010, 1:31 AM
Plumas and Tahoe Nat'l for me. I see bear every year up here. The last two years I've only seen sows with small cubs but lot's of sign.

Too far North for me.

Alot of scouting and research.There are bears in the mountains to the north of you in D-11.Very few are willing to hike in after them.Most of the prime spots are surrounded by private properties and you have to get trespass right 1st.Make sure you get it in writing.
Try to find someone with experience with your area and pick their brain.Unless you know someone who lives up against the hills in Bradbury or Monrovia.
GL.
Willie

I have actually seen deer and bears in Bradbury on more then 1 occasion. I didn't even think of that. Hell, once every couple months, I hear them on the news talking about it. I am going to have to check out the local taxidermist again. Thanks. How much are guides?

duckman1
12-09-2010, 5:17 AM
The bears here don't all hibernate. Some will sleep all winter, some will sleep off and on and some don't hibernate at all. It really depends on the elevation, weather and how much food is available.

drs2714
12-09-2010, 11:20 AM
You need to get out and scout.Take a buddy and a day pack, a pistol or rifle if you have your Hunting license and head into the forest.The deeper the better and away from people.Look for the their food,water and crap!Tracking in the snow is work but makes it easy to spot their tracks.Look at my avatar.My twelve year old son and me are hot on a trail of a few but had to stop because of the school week.Saturday 4am we will pick up right where we left off.Around here they are most active in the early morning and late evening.Most of the mountian folk will tell you they haven't seen any bears but that's not true.They have their reasons but most just don't care for hunters.If you start scouting now you should be ready to hunt next season.When it comes to bears you have to do your pre-season.At least you'll will know where to start for next season.
GL
Willie

Nor-Cal
12-10-2010, 1:52 PM
thanks for everybody that posted good areas to find bear as next season i will make my first trip to harvest a bear!

Interloper
12-10-2010, 3:06 PM
thanks for everybody that posted good areas to find bear as next season i will make my first trip to harvest a bear!

Sweet. Best of luck to you!
What kind of rifle/cartridge/bullet weight will you be using?

wjc
12-10-2010, 9:20 PM
It was at 1077 today...better hurry.

Sionadi
12-11-2010, 7:52 PM
We had 6 bears harvested on my property. The smallest was 320-ish, the biggest was my 450 pounder.

Interloper
12-11-2010, 9:11 PM
We had 6 bears harvested on my property. The smallest was 320-ish, the biggest was my 450 pounder.

Are you actually, physically weighing these or are you estimating?

Sionadi
12-11-2010, 9:22 PM
Estimating, the bears are most often than not boned out then packed out.

Interloper
12-11-2010, 9:33 PM
Estimating, the bears are most often than not boned out then packed out.
How in the heck else are you going to move a bear that size?

pieeater
12-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Depends on where you get them. A lot of ranches have pretty good road systems where you can get close enough to load him up. Id rather get them on a scale I find that most estimated weights arent even close. Not that it matters, it is what it is.

How in the heck else are you going to move a bear that size?

Rusty_Buckhorn
12-12-2010, 5:32 AM

did you score that big bear? I'm curious to know what it measured.

drs2714
12-12-2010, 8:36 PM
I got one this morning!!!!!
Here are some details.
My party of 5 included my two sons(12Tommy,17 Robert) and my two partners(Rick & Julio).We don't always get out together but this kill belongs to the group!
Between the five of us we have spend 5 days in the forest(SBNF)
I was up till 1am because I couldn't sleep.I knew today was the day.
We woke up at 4 am and left at 4:45am.Arrived 5:45am and geared up and hooked up with one of my partners and headed into SBNF also known as dreaded D14.
Hiked up to about 7k feet from 6K in rough terrian because Public land isn't easy!
Had a mountain top all pick out from our previous days out scouting.Set up in our spot at 9am my older son and I.Half an hr.goes by and we hear scratching and grunting.We can't see directly in front of us because of a patch of Manzanita bushes blocking our view so we sneak around to get a better look and There is a brownish Yogi! chewing on some acorns.Bam a 110gr.SSA 6.8 Accubond come flying out a 20" 1x11 4 groove barrel and flys a 100yds and hits Yogi in the left shoulder.Poor Yogi tumbled a hunderd ft downhill and scream out Uncle Willie how did you find me and 6.8 can't do this to me!One shot one kill!
RIP Yogi! Sorry about your slide down the mountain but I wish you could have slid the remaining 900 ft down for me too! Yeah you heard that right 900 ft left to get down the mountain and 2 miles to the truck with a estimate 290 lb brown California Black Bear in D14.
Crap why can't I have a Uncle TED style hunt!
Gutted him and humped him out and finally sat in my truck at 5PM
Exhausted,Excited and couldn't wait to tell you guys about my Day.
So for those who think it can't be done in Southern California on Public land with a 6.8 Give me a ring.

Interloper
12-12-2010, 8:51 PM
Here are some details.
My party of 5 included my two sons(12Tommy,17 Robert) and my two partners(Rick & Julio).We don't always get out together but this kill belongs to the group!
We woke up at 4 am and left at 4:45am.Arrived 5:45am and geared up and hooked up with one of my partners and headed into SBNF also known as dreaded D14.
Hiked up to about 7k feet from 6K in rough terrian because Public land isn't easy!
Had a mountain top all pick out from our previous days out scouting.Set up in our spot at 9am my older son and I.Half an hr.goes by and we hear scratching and grunting.We can't see directly in front of us because of a patch of Manzanita bushes blocking our view so we sneak around to get a better look and There is a brownish Yogi! chewing on some acorns.Bam a 110gr.SSA 6.8 Accubond come flying out a 20" 1x11 4 groove barrel and flys a 100yds and hits Yogi in the left shoulder.Poor Yogi tumbled a hunderd ft downhill and scream out Uncle Willie how did you find me and 6.8 can't do this to me!One shot one kill!
RIP Yogi! Sorry about your slide down the mountain but I wish you could have slid the remaining 900 ft down for me too! Yeah you heard that right 900 ft left to get down the mountain and 2 miles to the truck with a estimate 290 lb brown California Black Bear in D14.
So for those who think it can't be done in Southern California on Public land with a 6.8 Give me a ring.

YES! Good kill, bro! Congrats!
I'm going to go out tomorrow. Hope some of your luck rubs off on me. :D

Nor-Cal
12-12-2010, 8:57 PM
Sweet. Best of luck to you!
What kind of rifle/cartridge/bullet weight will you be using?

I know its gona be a savage most likely a 30-06! grains is what I'm looking at right now but haven't narrowed it down. Hopefully in the next month and a half I purchase the rifle I will be getting,

Interloper
12-12-2010, 9:13 PM
I know its gona be a savage most likely a 30-06! grains is what I'm looking at right now but haven't narrowed it down. Hopefully in the next month and a half I purchase the rifle I will be getting,

A Savage in '06 is what I use. Anything 165 grain and up will work fine. I favor a tougher bullet like Grand Slam for bear.
drs2714 has me amped up for tomorrow!

drs2714
12-12-2010, 9:19 PM
You CAN do IT!
YOU CAN DO IT!:taz:

AndrewMendez
12-13-2010, 2:15 PM
Here are some details.

GREAT STORY!!!!!

Anyone interested in going up above Azusa to scout the area sometime next week?? Preferably during the week. I have never been, and would like to get a feel for the area/terrain.

mzimmers
12-13-2010, 3:44 PM

Sounds like a lot of hard work, and a very, very satisfying day. Dang, I want one...

5shot
12-13-2010, 3:44 PM
Here are some details.

Outstanding job. Can't wait to see the pictures.

drs2714
12-13-2010, 10:04 PM
Pictures added on line #36

Interloper
12-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Nice bear!

AndrewMendez
12-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Pictures added on line #36

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=78611&d=1292306384

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=78612&d=1292306551

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=78614&d=1292306925

EFFIN AWESOME! Last pic is by far the best. You simply can not go wrong as a Father, by spending some time hunting with your boys.

drs2714
12-13-2010, 10:50 PM
You better believe it!
Excellent memory to have.
While Yogi was rolling down hill I hugged my Boy.
That was one he'll never forget!
Thanks for all the kind words guys.

AndrewMendez
12-13-2010, 10:59 PM
You better believe it!
Excellent memory to have.
While Yogi was rolling down hill I hugged my Boy.
That was one he'll never forget!
Thanks for all the kind words guys.

You really can't see how big the smile on my face is. These memories are priceless man. What did you do with the meat?

IAMAROBOTman
12-14-2010, 2:00 AM
1138 as of December 14, 2010.

so much more time for a bear hunt.

drs2714
12-14-2010, 6:44 AM
You really can't see how big the smile on my face is. These memories are priceless man. What did you do with the meat?

I got a bag of bear meat :thumbsup:for you!

AndrewMendez
12-14-2010, 12:31 PM
I got a bag of bear meat :thumbsup:for you!

NICE!! Ever make jerky with it?

Finish it
12-17-2010, 1:46 PM
Wow, good for you!

CSACANNONEER
12-17-2010, 1:56 PM
Andrew,

There's decent bear hunting in LA and Ventura Counties. Hell, a couple years ago, there was a bear at an apartment complex in Camarillo. The year before that, there was one at Westlake High School.

Interloper
12-17-2010, 3:40 PM
Crap. It's snowing like gangbusters right now. Season might be over for me....even with snowshoes I'm not sure I could reach the good areas. :(
What's the current count, anyway?

DirtyDave
12-17-2010, 5:14 PM
I'm heading out in the morning. Supposed to rain all day, maybe even snow

mzimmers
12-17-2010, 5:24 PM
Good luck out there, guys, and be safe -- this is the time of year when big-game hunts can go sour pretty easily.

Come back with some great pics!

Tenamaxtle
12-18-2010, 12:33 PM
I have a bear trashing my trash cans, 3 times this week. Today we started at 4:20 am and spend 5 hrs hiking with no luck. Here are his pics.

IAMAROBOTman
12-18-2010, 10:38 PM
Hey guys, for the new bear tags (on the reciept looking strip) how would you know if you are a odd or even number??? Because all odd receipts "have" to be turned in either successful or in-successful. As far as I know, these new tags for bears and other tags are complicated to tell if you are an "odd" or "even" tag carrier. Anyhow anyone know a thing or two on this situation?

Butthead
12-19-2010, 9:26 PM
My paperwork says all tags must be returned by Feb 1st.

drs2714
12-19-2010, 9:36 PM
On the number just below the Barcode it's the one before the dash. D-000011111_-1

DirtyDave
12-19-2010, 9:52 PM
ALL tags must be turned in, odd/even/bear/no bear, doesnt matter. The odd or even numbers mean that DFG will pull a tooth from your bear

DirtyDave
12-19-2010, 9:54 PM
We went out yesterday from sun-up to sun-set, was raining off and on all day. Saw a lot of tracks and scat, but no bears came out to play. We hiked a total of about 12 miles

IAMAROBOTman
12-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Thanks guys. I was getting worried for a sec.

Another question.

What elevation do the bears tend to stay during this raining/snowin season if they are out.

AndrewMendez
12-20-2010, 3:00 AM
Andrew,

There's decent bear hunting in LA and Ventura Counties. Hell, a couple years ago, there was a bear at an apartment complex in Camarillo. The year before that, there was one at Westlake High School.

Yeah, about 10 min from my house, they lock down the schools because bears. I was planning on scouting this week up into the Angeles National Forest above Azusa, but rain has delayed my plans. Is there a map that shows what animals frequent what areas?