PDA

View Full Version : Mapp gas for AK heat treating?

bigbob76
12-05-2010, 4:50 PM
When building an AK from a flat are you guys using Mapp for heat treating because it burns hotter? Is it necessary? If so do you need a specific torch to use with it? Another question is I was looking at the Lincoln migs at Home Depot and wondering if the cheapest one would be sufficient for welding up holes in AK receivers, what do you think? People seem to cringe at the mention of buying one at HF.:)

Roccobro
12-05-2010, 5:01 PM
First, the Mapp gas works on any hand torch designed for Propane. I use it as it burn a couple hundred degrees hotter than Propane. Gets the holes red hot in about 30-45 seconds. I recently upgraded to Acetylene "B" tank and torch for $30 from Craigslist. Gets the holes cherry red in 10-15 seconds with great concentration of heat (reduces possibility of warping).

Second, HF welders do work. Nocoroshi, Mach and other use the 220V HF mig to GREAT effect. 110V models work great on thin sheet metal. But if your buying, get one with greater capabilities. Plus, sale price plus 10% off makes for a bargain I hate to pass up. ;)

Of all the units I've owned and used in the past, I'm currently using a cheap portable 110V unit I got for $100 10 years ago. Welded trailers on down to AK rails.

Justin

uxo2
12-05-2010, 5:23 PM
MAPP gas heats faster...

You get what you pay for but for small jobs the HF welders with flux core work
fine.

tujungatoes
12-05-2010, 5:29 PM
:iagree:

Map gas in the LP torch is good to go.

I've used nico, and mach's welders, and they work great. If you're patient HF routinely has them on sale for $125, and they're worth every penny. With that said, if you take that same patience to craigslist you may find a better deal. I just stole a used 220v miller machine with bottle/reg., mask, etc. for CHEAP.(I'm a very happy boy :D)

bigbob76
12-05-2010, 5:36 PM
Thanks for all the fast info everybody. I just looked online and the HF 110 is $99 but you think it makes more sense to wait for the 220 on sale huh?

http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-flux-wire-welder-98871.html

Roccobro
12-05-2010, 5:59 PM
Thanks for all the fast info everybody. I just looked online and the HF 110 is $99 but you think it makes more sense to wait for the 220 on sale huh?

http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-flux-wire-welder-98871.html

Yes. With the flip of a switch you can do some heavy welding a 110V won't give enough penetration for.

But for ease of transport and plug availability a 110V is nice. I have no experience or feedback for the 110V HF welders. I see them on CL for $40-50 at least once a week.

Definitely get one than you can upgrade to gas capabilities when you get the $$ for a CO2 or steel mix gas tank. Cleaning spatter from flux core wire gets old fast.

Justin

bigbob76
12-05-2010, 6:39 PM
Another question while you guys are firing on all cylinders! When you guys heat up the axis pin holes on AK receivers are you doing the once and done now or still reheating and air cooling the second time?

Roccobro
12-05-2010, 6:49 PM
I'm doing two. Alternating holes to cherry red and dunking. Cleaning all the scale off then heating holes 2x2 until the blue-gray shows and let sit. Heat slowly as the colors can change after the heat is taken away. (Thanks Mach for teaching me that one!)

Justin

Roccobro
12-09-2010, 11:50 PM
Not mine, but I can pick it up for the right CG'er.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/tls/2104777157.html

Justin