View Full Version : Leather Holster break-in

12-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Any idea how to break-in a new leather holster without wearing the finish of my gun? My new holster is too tight and i want to use it as soon as possible.

12-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Take your pistol, put it in the bag the holster came in and holster it. Let it sit overnight or a couple of days. That's a good start. Otherwise just use it a lot. It will break in.

12-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Thats the reason I dont use leather holsters anymore I go with Kydex no need for break in period. But when I did have leather I used a product called snake oil its a thin liquid that you rub inside the leather holster and makes it slick so you can easily draw and re-holster and wont harm the finish of the pistol.
I forgot were I got it but I believe it was either from Mitch Rosen Leathers or Dillon Precision.

12-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Put your gun in it and keep it under your pillow for a couple nights. Oh wait, you said holster not baseball mitt. My bad. :43:

Mac Attack
12-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Like another poster stated. Place your gun in the ziplock bag it came in and place it into the holster for a few days. Take it out of the bag and do a few hundred draws and you will be good to go.

I prefer leather holsters because they are thinner than kydex holsters, offer more natural secure hold (unlike mechanical devices kydex) and contour to ones body. Nearly all the people I know who carry use leather holsters.

For a holster you will only wear every once in a while or for classes or matches a kydex holster is fine.

12-05-2010, 3:10 PM
One of the leather holster manufacturers (I can't remember which) says to spray silicone on the inside to help break it in.

Mac Attack
12-05-2010, 3:18 PM
The only thing with using an additive to break in a leather holster is although it breaks in the holster quicker it also makes the leather soft. If the leather gets too soft it will continue to stretch. Think of tour holster as if were a leather shoe. After breaking the shoe in the leather will continue to stretch and becomes loose on your foot. Same holds true for a leather holster as the leather will continue to stretch. I am sure it would take years for it to become a problem but its definitely something to consider.