PDA

View Full Version : Need a good spotlight for night time coyote hunts

cruddymutt
12-04-2010, 11:54 PM
My wife bought me a Brinkman Q-Beam Maxmillion III 3 million maxpower rechargable spotlight from Wallyworld last Christmas. It comes with 3 colored lenses. I took it out with my kids tonight and we called in 5 or 6 Coyotes (didnt get any) but in less than an hour of NOT continual use it was dead. I havent used it much at all, maybe half a dozen times so I dont think its the battery and it had a full charge when we left. Anyone know of a good powerful handheld spotlight with a red colored lense that last longer than this or is this all I can ask for? Must be cordless obviously.

freonr22
12-04-2010, 11:58 PM
www.lasergenetics.com ? maybe?

cruddymutt
12-05-2010, 12:02 AM
Now thats pretty slick but is that legal?

Dreaded Claymore
12-05-2010, 12:27 AM
Isn't spotlighting illegal?

Baxter
12-05-2010, 11:45 AM

Not for coyotes, and not when general deer season is closed. You also have to check you local regs.

Sorry can't help with a light.

You can't have a battery pack where you are? If not just recharge it in the truck when you move spots.

TrailerparkTrash
12-05-2010, 11:46 PM

Nope. Just like the myth that ".22" caliber center fire rifle ammo CAN'T BE USED to hunt big game in california.

Spotlighting is perfectly legal in CA for furbearers and non-game animals (coyotes, bobcats, grey fox, racoon etc...) in PARTS of the state. As noted above, spotlighting for furbearers and non-game animals in NOT legal during the general deer season. Nor could it be used for other big game, ever.

As far as a light, I like using lights that aren't so bright. Simple flashlights work great just for seeing the animals reflective eyes. When they are in range, a light that isn't so bright works just fine.

Be sure to read the regs on light size and voltage limit (9 volts for some parts of the state).

It takes some research but it's all listed in the "mamals and furbearers" hunting regulations throughout the booklet and published by the DFG.

tony270
12-06-2010, 7:53 AM
Note:
Make a quick ID without keeping the spotlight on the coyote. When you sweep a set of eyes resist going back to see it again, keep going. Instead get the hand held light aligned up with barrel and swing back using the halo part of the light to make a quick and positive ID, and then take the shot. You might have to swing away again, always have the call in your mouth or be ready to bark or kiss to bring back or stop the coyote.
Don’t hunt near houses until you’re confident that what you’re shooting at isn’t a pet like border collie that looks like a coyote, even if you are the legal distance from a dwelling. If you see a coyote crossing a road go to a vantage point (downwind if possible) out in the desert and quickly post up and call the coyote in.
That’s a quick way to learn what coyotes look like at night, bobcats and cats in general look like 2 glowing marbles on a flat surface and aren’t too spooked by light, they use sound and sight. Fox on the other hand don’t spook by sound, light, or scent, they approach from any direction, and will come to just a light being shined around.
A coyote that is upwind and is not schooled will try to take a peek before it circles to the downwind side. So always be on the ready and get the shot off before they do that, have a shotgun too. If you shot a coyote and it falls flat like its dead and then start fighting the shot and screaming quickly take another shot because 9 times out of 10 it’s going to jump up and run off to die somewhere else.
I have these 2 two primos lights in arsenal and are long lasting, my other main light are few surefire and couple of Coleman.
https://shop.primos.com/pc-1272-116-top-gun-led-headlamp.aspx
https://shop.primos.com/pc-1087-117-100-yard-varmint-hunting-light-kit.aspx