PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with Fixed Blade

xLusi0n
12-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Is there a problem driving around with fixed blades coming from or leaving camping/hunting/fishing thats sitting in a sheath in your pack?

Cokebottle
12-04-2010, 10:32 PM
Concealed "on or about your person" = felony in California.
Most counties/cities that have length restrictions on open carry allow exemptions for "legitimate recreational or employment uses".

In your pack somewhere in your car would be fine, but in your pack while hiking out would be illegally concealed.

bbguns44
12-05-2010, 1:57 PM
So carrying a knife you just bought at Walmart in a bag to your car is a felony ?
You have to hold the knife in your hand or hang it from your belt to be legal ?
No knives in your picnic basket then.

Ism415
12-05-2010, 5:39 PM
I always carry my buck knife on my hip, the last thing i want is to give dfg some crap reason to give me some crazy infraction....

Hunt
12-05-2010, 7:16 PM
So carrying a knife you just bought at Walmart in a bag to your car is a felony ?
You have to hold the knife in your hand or hang it from your belt to be legal ?
No knives in your picnic basket then.

sure sounds like it.

xLusi0n
12-06-2010, 12:26 AM
LMAO. Why hasn't this law been challenged yet? Or has it? It definitely needs to be cleaned up if anything. Of all the laws that don't make sense, this one is up there. We need a old lady arrested for walking with her kitchen knives (still in her concealment box - aka packaging) to her car that she just bought at Target.

TheRealVIC
12-06-2010, 11:07 AM
What are general knife laws in CA? Is there a CALKNIVES?

tony270
12-06-2010, 2:12 PM
I was always taught as a kid that we could carry a 5 inch jackknife in our pocket, any longer single edged weapon/knife had to be carried in a sheath in an unconcealed fashion. Now a day’s more local municipalities have gotten their hands into law making so we need an attorney to know what’s legal anymore. For instance LA has a 3” length law, I think that was designed to allow novelty keychain knifes and fingernail files to be legal. Even back in the old days we couldn’t have daggers, dinks, switchblades, stilettos, billyclubs, blackjacks, and the list goes on.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/calawquery?codesection=pen&codebody=sword+knife&hits=20

Cokebottle
12-06-2010, 7:21 PM
I was always taught as a kid that we could carry a 5 inch jackknife in our pocket, any longer single edged weapon/knife had to be carried in a sheath in an unconcealed fashion. Now a day’s more local municipalities have gotten their hands into law making so we need an attorney to know what’s legal anymore. For instance LA has a 3” length law, I think that was designed to allow novelty keychain knifes and fingernail files to be legal. Even back in the old days we couldn’t have daggers, dinks, switchblades, stilettos, billyclubs, blackjacks, and the list goes on.
Almost correct.

Yes, some cities have restrictions that we need to be aware of, but in general (state law), there is no length limit for a folding knife when carried concealed.

Any fixed-blade knife must be carried openly, regardless of length.
The dirk/dagger prohibition is a misreading of the law. ANY fixed blade knife is considered a dirk or dagger (including a folder when the blade is locked open!). Daggers, or any other double-edged knife, are not illegal in California if carried openly.

Yes, Los Angeles has a 3" limit on open carry of fixed blades, but they also allow for safe passage. If you are passing through LA you are exempt, in addition to the exemptions for legitimate recreational or occupational use.

If you can carry this in your pocket (and you can unless you're under 5ft), it is legal....

http://personal.linkline.com/rlockyer/XD9/rajahopen.jpg
http://personal.linkline.com/rlockyer/XD9/rajahfold.jpg