PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 Reassembly! Seriously WTF?

dandechino
12-04-2010, 8:27 PM
Any one else frustrated with Ruger 10/22 reassembly putting the bolt assembly back on the charging handle? I love the ruger, it eats everything I feed it, but I loathe cleaning it because of the frustrating 20 minutes with the screwdriver trying to pry the bolt back and get the bolt assembly back together. Any other semi-auto .22s out there that aren't such a PITA?

XDRoX
12-04-2010, 8:31 PM
The 22/45 is way more frustrating:D

I remember the bolt being hard to get back in back when it was new to me. I use the back end of a tooth brush to help hold the bolt back while it falls into place. You'll get better at it. It use to Take me a long time as well. I usually do it in under 30 seconds now.

ojisan
12-04-2010, 8:32 PM
You need to stop by my place sometime.
I'll show you how to get that 10/22 bolt in and out in under a minute with no tools besides your fingers.
I've worked on a bunch of .22s, the 10/22 is the easiest autoloader to work on by far.

Reductio
12-04-2010, 8:52 PM
First of all... you actually CLEAN your 10/22?! Oddness...

Secondly:
1h0ijcHnhwk

ojisan
12-04-2010, 9:00 PM
^ Exactly!
The real trick is the positioning of the left hand so the handle and receiver stay straight while leaving the right hand free to drop the bolt in and give it a little wiggle.
Great vid post!
:D

No need for the screwdriver to push back the bolt, real men use their fingers.
:chris:

Calif Mini
12-04-2010, 9:09 PM
Just like the unwritten rule for drunks, if you cannot find your beer, you can't drink it.

If you cannot get the bolt back in the receiver, you can't shoot it. LOL.

Take your time and remember, if fumble finger me can do it, you sure can.

Ed

Reductio
12-04-2010, 9:16 PM
^ Exactly!
The real trick is the positioning of the left hand so the handle and receiver stay straight while leaving the right hand free to drop the bolt in and give it a little wiggle.
Great vid post!
:D

No need for the screwdriver to push back the bolt, real men use their fingers.
:chris:

hahaha, that vid is what I saw before I went and broke down my 10/22 for the first time. I have the knack of being able to take anything apart, but I might need a little guidance in how to get it all back together. :o The key thing about pulling that handle back really is the leverage of doing it from inside the receiver, with screwdriver or manly fingers. ;)

dandechino
12-04-2010, 11:47 PM
I think I may need to try holding it back from inside the receiver. When I've encountered problems, the charging handle is slightly askew not allowing the bolt to drop down.

subrosa
12-05-2010, 12:55 AM
My Dad has the same trouble with his 10/22 (well SR-22...he loves the tacticool) and I was considering making a nice piece of wood which would hold the charge handle back while the bolt was inserted. I would be careful with anything marring as that frame is all aluminum.

It took me a few tries on my 10/22, but after doing it a few times (yes I clean my 10/22) it got easier :D

Scratch705
12-05-2010, 12:56 AM
iirc, there is a tool that one of the online retailers sell that is just a simple piece of a thin bent metal plate that holds the charging handle just at the perfect distance to pop the bolt back onto.

maybe make one yourself? since i can't seem to find a link for it.

subrosa
12-05-2010, 1:33 AM
iirc, there is a tool that one of the online retailers sell that is just a simple piece of a thin bent metal plate that holds the charging handle just at the perfect distance to pop the bolt back onto.

maybe make one yourself? since i can't seem to find a link for it.

I have heard about this (and used in a video?) but never saw the need to buy one. Half the battle is figuring out how the spring retracts backwards so that you don't have it at an angle. This is the one thing I would like to see Ruger update on the 10/22 (I know blasphemy), there has to be a better way to "lock" the charge handle into the bolt.

NeoWeird
12-05-2010, 2:33 AM
It's been a while since I took mine down, but the way I remember it goes (for right handers at least):

Turn barreled receiver upside down so you can see insides.
Left hand puts charging handle in through ejection port.
Thumb of left hand hooks behind back of receiver from ejection port side while index finger pulls on charging handle. At the same time right hand's thumb hooks back of receiver from over the top while index finger pulls back on non-ejection port side of bolt cross bar.
Once spring is fully compressed (may require a little back and forth action) the left hand locks in place, as close to receiver as possible to prevent it from slipping.
Right hand grabs bolt and drops it in starting with rear of the bolt first, then tipping the front of the bolt down onto lock bar. Slight wiggle from bolt as tension is relieved from charging handle and the bolt will lock in place.
Buffer returned to receiver to prevent over travel of bolt.
~fin~

IntoForever
12-05-2010, 3:05 AM
I watched 2 different videos on break down/assembly before trying. I've owned mine for 20 years and never cleaned it. Bought it from a pawn shop and it probably was never cleaned then. Set up the video and hit pause so you can keep up and the assembly should be no problem. Mine went together easily. The cleaning part was a major PITA. Probably would have been faster with a scraper.

trob
12-05-2010, 7:22 AM
Any one else frustrated with Ruger 10/22 reassembly putting the bolt assembly back on the charging handle? I love the ruger, it eats everything I feed it, but I loathe cleaning it because of the frustrating 20 minutes with the screwdriver trying to pry the bolt back and get the bolt assembly back together. Any other semi-auto .22s out there that aren't such a PITA?

:confused: really? its one of the easiest guns ive ever taken apart. Even the first time was a breeze.

Gem1950
12-05-2010, 9:16 AM
If you're having this kind of trouble with with a 10/22...stay away from a 1911.

iareConfusE
12-05-2010, 9:49 AM
Yeah the 10/22 shouldn't be that hard to disassemble and reassemble. I can do mine pretty fast with no tools required. Don't forget to remove the buffer bolt/pin (or your recoil buffer if you bought one) that's located at the back of the receiver. It gives you the extra space you need to lift the bolt out and put it back in. Reassembly is just about making sure you're holding the charging handle straight while compressed, and jiggling the groove of th bolt onto the handle.

DirtNapKing
12-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Easily done by hand, no tools required. Just takes a little patience, practice, and steady fingers to mate that bolt to the charging handle. Last thing I would ever do is use a screwdriver and muck up the inside of my reciever. One slip and it's scratch city.

xibunkrlilkidsx
12-05-2010, 10:44 AM

really.....its not that hard. take the charging handle put in. pull back the charging handle with your finger slide bolt in as far as it will go give little wiggle and it will pop in.

X-NewYawker
12-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Easily done by hand, no tools required. Just takes a little patience, practice, and steady fingers to mate that bolt to the charging handle. Last thing I would ever do is use a screwdriver and muck up the inside of my reciever. One slip and it's scratch city.

What he said

Got10/22?
12-23-2010, 5:56 AM
First of all... you actually CLEAN your 10/22?! Oddness...

Secondly:
1h0ijcHnhwk

-

Man where was this video when I bought my Ruger 10/22 back in 1982...LOL. It took me a few minutes to reassemble the bolt action. I'm still a proud owner of this Ruger 28 years and counting.

HoMa506
12-23-2010, 8:05 AM
Thanks Dandechino for starting this thread, it made for a great rainy day project. I've had mine for so long and have shot it so much all I need is a screwdriver or dime to take my stock off. All my pins just fell out.

wamphyri13
12-23-2010, 10:14 AM
http://gunsmithertools.com/
That's what you're after. It's a simple yet awesome tool for the bolt and extractor.
Ryan

dfletcher
12-23-2010, 2:29 PM

The trick is to not cant the bolt handle when you're pushing the bolt to the rear - it should remain at a 90 degree angle to the bolt all the way back otherwise it binds. Problem is, the bolt handle is small and thin and hard to hold correctly. I took a 6" or so piece of wood dowel, made a "male to female" (the bolt handle being the male) cut in the end and it gives great leverage and control. My bolt handle is one of those Volquartsen's that looks like a straight, thick pin so I just drilled a 1/4" hole in the end and it works.

BHP FAN
12-23-2010, 6:08 PM
the only problem I've had was after shoting a brick of cheap ammo. due to the ''trunciated cone'' bullet profile I had some lead that was sheared into tiny cresents, and plenty of grey muck type fouling. When I went to reassemble the bolt, the spring wouldn't compress enough...I'd forgotten to clean the spring. once I'd cleaned the spring, the rest was a breeze.

bohoki
12-23-2010, 6:33 PM
my first 10/22 has a scar on the eject port where i was trying to get the bolt back in and let the handle fly foward

it will bug me forever