PDA

View Full Version : Hunting at Lake Perris (Riverside county)

nbkvig2
12-04-2010, 2:35 PM
Just wondering, has anyone been hunting at this location before? My parent's house is like 20min away from the location and I go over to their house every weekend. I had hoped that I can just hunt for rabbits and birds there since it's so close. I went with my dad when the season just opened and the place seemed deserted. I asked the guy at the front and he said I was the first hunter he'd seen this year. My dad has been going fishing at Lake Perris recently and every time he goes he would swing by the hunting lodge and he said he's never seen a vehicle or anyone there before.

So my question is, does anyone have any experience with this location? Seems like this place comes up in hunting location discussions quite a few times but nobody has ever posted their experience or success. Perhaps the reason that its deserted is because there's just not enough game or "any" for that matter. The time I went, I saw nothing, except big black ants and horse sh*t. Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in about this place, thanks a lot in advance.

devilinblack
12-04-2010, 2:41 PM
I've been going to San Jacinto, which is right on the other side of those hills to the east of the lake. I've seen a few upland game hunters, but not many and I've yet to see anything besides coyote scat this year.

LloydXmas250
12-04-2010, 3:04 PM
Went to San Jacinto. Shotgun only. Never saw a rabbit but I'm sure they're there. Got a rattlesnake and a bunch of dove opening day. Guessing dove are pretty scarce this far into the season though. Still a decent place to visit.

ElvenSoul
12-04-2010, 3:18 PM
You have to go on opening day..

nbkvig2
12-04-2010, 3:25 PM
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the responses. So far me and my buddy has been going to Mojave, and San Diego. They're not bad of a drive, but I wouldn't be able to do it on a weekly basis, hence trying to make the Lake Perris thing work. I will probably try out San Jacinto next since it's around the area. But yea, I really wished Lake Perris would come through, I would have made it a weekend thing. I will keep trying I guess till I find a good spot around the area, I really liked the preserve @ Mojave, the only downfall is the drive.

owenismo
12-04-2010, 7:33 PM
Really? There isnt seem to be much at Mojave. I didnt even fill my tag. You are better off searching for stuff somewhere else.

nbkvig2
12-04-2010, 9:44 PM
Really? There isnt seem to be much at Mojave. I didnt even fill my tag. You are better off searching for stuff somewhere else.

The scenary there is quite nice...