PDA

View Full Version : SpecOps Fitment / Quality Issue...

James R.
07-08-2006, 2:16 AM
CaCrusin around?

After seeing those pictures of that guys Spec Ops that decided to disintegrate I took a closer look at mine and while I doubt that it's going to disintegrate I'm a bit worried that it's going to mess up my shotgun. It has already mashed a mark in the trigger guard which I'm not terribly worried about. However I don't feel confident firing it given the lack of clearance around the safety...

I took it completely off and tried to put it back on while pushing it towards one side in hopes that that would generate some clearance but alas no such luck.

http://www.apatheology.com/public_shares/images/SpecOps_Fit1.jpg

http://www.apatheology.com/public_shares/images/SpecOps_Fit2.jpg

http://www.apatheology.com/public_shares/images/SpecOps_Fit3.jpg

Hopefully these pictures are sufficient to illustrate the source of my concerns. There's basically ZERO clearance on one side, it's plastic on plastic. When the gun fires I'm quite certain the SpecOps is going to cut a swath right thru the plastic on the left side. But a bigger worry is what it'll do to the safety button. That whole trigger guard area is made of plastic, I have horrible visions of everything just cracking from the force caused by the safety impacting the stock. I could probably file clearance for the right side there on the plastic on plastic aspect, but the other part is too close to the metal bits which you can't remove from the stock. Besides for $110 I don't think one should have to file and grind on stuff...

Any words of wisdom or advice? Is this particular stock funky? Is my gun funky?

Regards,

James R.

-hanko
07-09-2006, 4:28 PM
Dremel tool and some sanding drums & a set of small files will get you started.

It doesn't fit well, but it's a royal biotch to mold plastic to tight tolerances and keep it from warping when it comes out of the mold. You could definitely remove some tight spots & no one will notice...kinda' like inletting a wood stock.

The company puts me off with its armchair commando/operator/elite/covert/tactical bull***** advertizing. You should know you're getting a cheap plastic stock, you can't expect a repackaged Accuracy International piece;)

I saw a post last week on afrcom suggesting stocks are no longer made due to issues in controlling production in China, can't remember any more than that.

Get on that Dremel.

-hanko

James R.
07-09-2006, 8:39 PM
Dremel tool and some sanding drums & a set of small files will get you started.

It doesn't fit well, but it's a royal biotch to mold plastic to tight tolerances and keep it from warping when it comes out of the mold. You could definitely remove some tight spots & no one will notice...kinda' like inletting a wood stock.

The company puts me off with its armchair commando/operator/elite/covert/tactical bull***** advertizing. You should know you're getting a cheap plastic stock, you can't expect a repackaged Accuracy International piece;)

I saw a post last week on afrcom suggesting stocks are no longer made due to issues in controlling production in China, can't remember any more than that.

Get on that Dremel.

-hanko

Actually the channel cut in there is perfectly centered with respect to the parting line that runs down the grip. I checked it with calipers. The problem is they didn't design the stock with enough room in it to allow for the tolerances on Remingtons end which is IMHO a mistake.

I think I'm pretty much powerless to fix this because unfortunately the area where I have the more pressing clerance concerns (the safety) I'm powerless to make any adjustments because the block which slides up the ramp is in the way. The amount of force needed to move the block up the ramp (I assume this is what happens under recoil) is so great that I can't push it up there to get at that area to file or dremel it. I have a feeling no matter what I do it's going to look like ********.

Maybe I'll just return it to Midway :-( Real bummer, I was so hoping to use this stock, I like the idea and it *appears* to be made fairly well (save for one of the spring holding pins being IMHO too short thus bearing all that force on 1/2 the grip plastics thickness) apparently Remington is satisfied enough with the quality of it to build a product around it.

I'll give Knoxx a whir, I'm emailed them this and I'll wait for their response. Hopefully they stand behind the product and will either replace it or provide a solution. Possibly there's a rev with more clearance or they have plastic parts which have been machined to fix problem cases like this.

Regards,

James R.

James R.
07-09-2006, 10:11 PM
PS - If all else fails I'll prolly try the CompStock.

Regards,

James R.

CaCrusin
07-10-2006, 10:20 AM
...is to call me. If you are having problems or questions about a Knoxx product, your first action should be to call me. Knoxx stands behind its products 100%.

Before you take any action to modify the stock, call me toll-free (877-465-6699) and I will give you a return authroization for both the stock and the shotgun receiver. We will fit the stock to your shotgun at no charge. There are always variations in both our stocks and the shotguns.

As to the comment that we discontinued our stocks , that is incorrect. We continue to add new stocks on a regular basis. We did discontinue our Sidewinder Drum Magazine system due to problems with a vendor. Our stocks are made in the USA, with some foreign content.

Larry aka CaCrusin

-hanko
07-10-2006, 9:52 PM
[QUOTE=CaCrusinAs to the comment that we discontinued our stocks , that is incorrect. We continue to add new stocks on a regular basis. We did discontinue our Sidewinder Drum Magazine system due to problems with a vendor. Our stocks are made in the USA, with some foreign content.

Larry aka CaCrusin[/QUOTE]
Larry, thanks for straightening me out...my apologies.

-hanko