PDA

View Full Version : pistolgrip?

glockk9mm
07-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Is there any restrictions or laws in california regarding pistolgrips? such as these?
http://www.clearviewinvest.com/detail.asp?product_id=011-502
http://www.clearviewinvest.com/detail.asp?product_id=001-MRW4100

grammaton76
07-07-2006, 11:22 PM
On a pump shotgun (NOT semi auto!) you can do pistol grips all you want, legally.

Otherwise, my shotgun wouldn't look like this:
http://www.cheapspeech.com/Pics/Guns/M590A1-Persuader//s_TopFolded.jpg

Or for double evil pistol grip action, my roomie's shotgun:
http://cheapspeech.com/Pics/Friends/Brian/BullpupShotgun//s_20050328-214527-0.jpg

Creeping Incrementalism
07-07-2006, 11:33 PM
If the shotgun is pump, you're fine.

If it's an auto, and you have the pistol grip, then you can't have the adjustable stock. (Grammatron, there's a little more to it than that, and what the hell is the make & model of your rommie's shotgun?)

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/genchar2.htm

OJ Firearms Division
Senate Bill 23 Assault Weapon Characteristics
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Effective January 1, 2000, Senate Bill 23, Statutes of 1999, establishes new criteria for defining assault weapons based on generic characteristics. This bill allows and requires persons who own/possess firearms that fall under the new "assault weapon" definition to register those firearms with the Department of Justice during the one-year period between January 1, 2000 and December 31, 2000. Effective January 1, 2000, this bill adds Penal Code Section 12276.1 to the Penal Code as follows.

12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:

1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.

(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.

(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.

(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

(b) "Assault weapon" does not include any antique firearm.

(c) The following definitions shall apply under this section:
(1) "Magazine" shall mean any ammunition feeding device.
(2) "Capacity to accept more than 10 rounds" shall mean capable of accommodating more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include a feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
(3) "Antique firearm" means any firearm manufactured prior to January 1, 1899.

(d) This section shall become operative January 1, 2000.

glockk9mm
07-07-2006, 11:54 PM
Sweet shotguns grammaton76.
My shotgun is a pump, mossberg 500A from big5. Just purchased it and i want to add a different tactical look to it.

Thanks for the help

NwG
07-08-2006, 12:43 AM
I still have to ask why you would put one of these things on you shotgun??? (minus the buttstock.. )

You lose speed and accuracy, the ability to clear type 2 & 3 stoppages with the butt stroke method and take away a VERY good stike face....

But hey, whatever floats your boat...

grammaton76
07-08-2006, 2:39 AM
If the shotgun is pump, you're fine.

If it's an auto, and you have the pistol grip, then you can't have the adjustable stock. (Grammatron, there's a little more to it than that, and what the hell is the make & model of your rommie's shotgun?)

Wull, since the question was just addressing pump gun parts, I didn't bother getting into the rest... :)

As for his shotgun, it's a Maverick 88 bullpup - the bullpup kit was a factory option that they didn't make for very long - it never did catch on with LE/SWAT/whatnot like they'd hoped. I brought an Airsoft version of it back from Japan back in '95. A year or so back, I noticed folks were selling the real version on gunbroker for $400, and my roomie decided he desperately wanted one. I've got a side by side pic here - by the way, the brass barrels (yes, it fires 4 bbs/pump) aren't visible without the flash on the camera. The thing is ... shall we say, graphically effective on wasps and other critters I don't want in the house.

http://www.cheapspeech.com/Pics/Friends/Brian/BullpupShotgun//s_dsc09354.jpg

I've figured out a no-permanent-mod way to add a top mounted picatinny rail, so he may be installing a laser or flashlight on the top carry handle later on...

grammaton76
07-08-2006, 2:45 AM
I still have to ask why you would put one of these things on you shotgun??? (minus the buttstock.. )

You lose speed and accuracy, the ability to clear type 2 & 3 stoppages with the butt stroke method and take away a VERY good stike face....

But hey, whatever floats your boat...

Personally, I don't think I'd do a straight pistol grip on a shotgun unless it were a registered shorty.

But, I do like the top-folder. For one thing, the strike face issue is an issue on most shotguns, but... erm, mine is an M590A1 with forward bayonet mount. The most effective melee surface on it would be the front, via a bayonet - no sense in giving the enemy a chance to yank the shotgun away from me while swinging it. :)

The folding stock does stay out of the way pretty well in the top position, and when deployed it keeps the gun about as stable as the original stock did.

Bolt Action
07-08-2006, 6:59 AM
Is it legal to own a 9 shot semi auto shotgun with a full lenght stock with pistol grip? These laws are so confusing!

JPglee1
07-08-2006, 7:05 AM
Yes, as long as it has a TUBE magazine that is permanently attached and a fixed buttstock.

J

rorschach
07-08-2006, 4:40 PM
Isnt there a federal law regarding extended mag tubes on imported shotguns? I was planning to get an extended tube for my Benelli M1, and it has a fullstock w/pistol grip.

jessegpresley
07-09-2006, 2:01 PM
Put a SpecOps folder on it. That way you can have a pistol grip with recoil reduction, but also a stock if need be. Best of both worlds, and then some.

Creeping Incrementalism
07-11-2006, 6:49 PM
Isnt there a federal law regarding extended mag tubes on imported shotguns? I was planning to get an extended tube for my Benelli M1, and it has a fullstock w/pistol grip.

No. I bought a Benelli 1014LE (Limited Edition) with the +2 extension in October 2004.