PDA

View Full Version : The right safe at the right price. Help.

Stoked
12-04-2010, 12:21 AM
I am looking to get a decent gun safe. I have a couple of long guns and a pistol at the moment so I don't need anything very large. I do know my collection will probably grow though.

I want this safe to be fire rated, as I will be putting docs and coins and such in it as well.

My budget for this safe is probably around $1500 unless someone can convince me I need to spend more.

From what I can tell (and from the size of my collection you can probably tell that's not a whole lot), Costco has a decent looking Bighorn. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11468049

I also have a line on what looks like a decent Fort Knox. (the 26") http://allamericansafe.com/safes/classic-edition/

Anybody have any thoughts regard these two? I know there are a lot of safe manufacturers out there, so if you're going to give me a recommendation that's different than one of these, tell me why you would pick a different one, or why you wouldn't pick one of the ones I listed.

Thanks for your help. You guys have been a great resource for a newb.

kozumasbullitt
12-04-2010, 1:09 AM
I will be buying the larger 6039 bighorn because of the excellent reviews and bang for the buck.

Baconator
12-04-2010, 1:10 AM
I have the smaller big horn and have been happy so far.

Casual_Shooter
12-04-2010, 8:54 AM
Fort Knox is typically referred to as a higher end safe so I would probably lean toward that one.

You might want to check out Sturdy Safe also. They seem to have a good reputation.

bsg
12-04-2010, 10:04 AM
i have always wanted a Fort Knox....

buy larger than you need today.

Stoked
12-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Does anybody know if Bighorn's fire rating is certified by anybody or is it just a self claim?

bsg
12-04-2010, 4:05 PM
Does anybody know if Bighorn's fire rating is certified by anybody or is it just a self claim?

don't know... but do check out Fort Knox.

llamatrnr
12-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Costco's Big Horn is a lot of safe for the $ + free delivery

Hot Brass
12-07-2010, 8:31 PM
Don`t just go by price. For security you need steel. Thin steel will not stop an axe. Get the thickest steel that you can afford.

Stoked
12-13-2010, 2:47 PM
Just got myself a Fort Knox... and I did it for the same price as the Costco Big Horn with more security features and same fire rating. Bang!

Hot Brass
12-13-2010, 6:58 PM
Congrats