PDA

View Full Version : Trouble accessing one particular website...Very Strange!

diddler
12-03-2010, 10:41 PM
All,

Have a rather strange problem that I've been working around but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. My laptop seems to have an issue successfully finding eztv.it with regularity. It claims "website not found" after a timeout period. My usual internet source is a wifi connection belonging to my roommate. Here's where things get funny: I cannot see eztv's site from my laptop going thru the wifi using any web browser. If I pop down to a command prompt and try to ping, say, google.com it returns immediately. Ping eztv fails request time-out. If I connect my laptop to the internet via phone tethering (IE: using my cellphone provider as my internet connection) then I can view eztv on my laptop.

I can make a wifi connection between my phone and the Wifi AP (Access Point) and view the website just fine, and my roommate gets that site just fine on his computer thru the Wifi AP. It seems like only the very odd combination of my laptop, this Wifi AP and that one website do not work together. Change out any of those three variables and it works fine. I'm pretty sure I must have something screwed up in my routing or DNS but wouldn't have a clue what to do about it. I do have a few cumbersome ways around the problem but I wish I could understand and fix it so I can access this site just like any other.

Thoughts?

Rhythm of Life
12-03-2010, 10:44 PM
http://www.downornot.com/eztv.it

Its up for me.

diddler
12-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Ummm....keep reading! :)

Rhythm of Life
12-03-2010, 10:56 PM
If you reinstalled the network driver and reset the settings it should be back to bone stock and work, or you could see what differences your roommate has in his settings.

MA2
12-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Site seems to be up and down...
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6945/23189411.png

Works fine for me :p

If you want to flush your local dns, just type "ipconfig /flushdns" in your command prompt.

diddler
12-03-2010, 11:43 PM
If you want to flush your local dns, just type "ipconfig /flushdns" in your command prompt.

A good suggestion, in this case it didn't solve the problem. Any other ideas?

Thanks!