PDA

View Full Version : is the 870 spec ops tactical ca legal?

unsped
07-07-2006, 4:24 PM
delete

James R.
07-07-2006, 4:33 PM
Yes absolutely...

It's a pump action gun, not semi-auto...no issues there. The barrel is 18+" So no issues there either...

http://www.apatheology.com/public_shares/images/870HD_SpecOps.jpg

Here's mine ;-)

Regards,

James R.

tman
07-10-2006, 9:38 PM
Nice weapon.

Have you tried shooting holding it one-handed using the pistol grip? Does it want to fly out of your hand?

jessegpresley
07-10-2006, 11:53 PM
It'd be cheaper buy an 870 from Big 5 then buy a SpecOps stock off eBay. For $500 you could get an FN TPS off Gunbroker. For $529 you could get a TPS with a C-More off Gunbroker.

James R.
07-10-2006, 11:56 PM
Nice weapon.

Have you tried shooting holding it one-handed using the pistol grip? Does it want to fly out of your hand?

I'd love to give you a review but frankly I haven't shot it with this stock yet. That's a regular 870 HD that I threw the forend from wilson on and later bought the SpecOps. In fact I just got that stock a few days back, it doesn't fit right and now they want the whole gun to see if they can't fix my fitment issue.

Regards,

James R.

TRP PRO 1911
07-11-2006, 1:43 AM
Beware of the Knox stock. I have seen 2 break in front of me and heard of many others failing where it meets the receiver. The Mesa Tactical units are much stronger and reliable in my experiences.

jessegpresley
07-11-2006, 3:07 AM
The Mesa Tatcial ones also do not have recoil reduction, which would mean less moving parts, so it would make sense that they are more reliable. I haven't had a problem with my Knoxx stock.

CaCrusin
07-11-2006, 9:11 AM
Beware of the Knox stock. I have seen 2 break in front of me and heard of many others failing where it meets the receiver. The Mesa Tactical units are much stronger and reliable in my experiences.

Interesting. I handle every product issue for Knoxx and I have never heard of or seen two units fail at the same time. Out of the thousands of stocks we have shipped, we have received about 25 back for one problem or another. No stock has ever "failed where it meets the receiver" so that raises the question of your voracity. Rumor mongering is an unpleasant pastime and only serves to belittle the monger.

CaCrusin

James R.
07-11-2006, 11:05 AM
Interesting. I handle every product issue for Knoxx and I have never heard of or seen two units fail at the same time. Out of the thousands of stocks we have shipped, we have received about 25 back for one problem or another. No stock has ever "failed where it meets the receiver" so that raises the question of your voracity. Rumor mongering is an unpleasant pastime and only serves to belittle the monger.

CaCrusin

Not trying to start a ***** storm of anything but we just saw one the other day here and I think you posted on that same thread. It wasn't a catastrophic failure of the block where it mates, but metal on the part which mates the receiver to the stock did fail. What failed past that I dunno...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=36418

Regards,

James R.

Shane916
07-11-2006, 2:07 PM
I have a Knoxx stock and it's awesome. You can fire it one handed it and the recoil is nice and light to answer the first question. Knoxx and Larry have the best customer service out there. I had a slight rattle on mine and Larry had me send it to them and they didn't charge a penny and we're more then happy to help me. Although it wasn't a problem, more of an annoyance for me.

Even if somehow your Knoxx stock did fail I am 100% you could contact Larry and he would be more then happy to have it looked at and replaced for little to free. For every few people who post when having a problem with the stock, I guarantee there are another 1000 owners out there who love it and have never had a problem. So yeah, no product is perfect but these are very reliable.

CaCrusin
07-11-2006, 2:23 PM
No, No storm wanted or needed. Words have meanings and the word "Failure" has severe implications. Anything manufactured can break. The little piece that came off is inconsequential. It didn't create a safety hazard. It is also the first such issue ever. To say that the "many" other stocks failed in this manner is not true. The implication is that the stocks have reliability problems and are prone to failure. That is absolutely untrue.

The trainers at FLETC put over 35,000 rounds through a SpecOps-equipped 870 without any failure from shotgun or stock. When we disassembled the SpecOps, there was no sign of wear or any other damage.

Maybe I'm too sensitive about what is said, having been with this project since its' inception. There is a lot of prejudice against new things and we have faced our share. It has taken a long time to get people to just try it. It is finally breaking through and people are finding out just how good it is. I would hate to have rumor mongers ruin that for shooters who would truely benefit from the stock.

I apologize for the tone of my previous post.

CaCrusin

James R.
07-11-2006, 3:18 PM
No, No storm wanted or needed. Words have meanings and the word "Failure" has severe implications. Anything manufactured can break. The little piece that came off is inconsequential. It didn't create a safety hazard. It is also the first such issue ever. To say that the "many" other stocks failed in this manner is not true. The implication is that the stocks have reliability problems and are prone to failure. That is absolutely untrue.

The trainers at FLETC put over 35,000 rounds through a SpecOps-equipped 870 without any failure from shotgun or stock. When we disassembled the SpecOps, there was no sign of wear or any other damage.

Maybe I'm too sensitive about what is said, having been with this project since its' inception. There is a lot of prejudice against new things and we have faced our share. It has taken a long time to get people to just try it. It is finally breaking through and people are finding out just how good it is. I would hate to have rumor mongers ruin that for shooters who would truely benefit from the stock.

I apologize for the tone of my previous post.

CaCrusin

Any time you challenge the status quo there's always going to be people who will come out and tell you that it won't work or it'll be prone to failure. That's just the way of the world...

I was looking at my rifle today and I'm still puzzled on how you're going to fix it. The trigger sits off to the side in the stock, if you're not going to do anything to the rifle (which is my preference, please do not) the only thing I can see doing is grinding on the metal part which mates the stock to the receiver so that the whole thing can be slid over. I just want to point out I probably won't be happy with that at all. The net result will be that one side of that aluminum piece would have to hang over the side of the receiver which is totally lame from a cosmetic standpoint.

The only elegant fix, which is totally pie in the sky that I can think of is if you guys made those aluminum blocks with the centerlines offset slightly so that the grip is effectively repositioned one way or the other to generate the needed clearance.

If you're going to send me back something ground on or modified in such a way that it's quite obvious it ain't kosher I'd just as soon have you send the gun back with the Compstock on it or some such. I'm not dying for the pistol grip aspect of it or the adjustable LOP...I just wanted to see how the whole reduced recoil thing worked out.

Regards,

James R.

CaCrusin
07-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Any time you challenge the status quo there's always going to be people who will come out and tell you that it won't work or it'll be prone to failure. That's just the way of the world...

I was looking at my rifle today and I'm still puzzled on how you're going to fix it. The trigger sits off to the side in the stock, if you're not going to do anything to the rifle (which is my preference, please do not) the only thing I can see doing is grinding on the metal part which mates the stock to the receiver so that the whole thing can be slid over. I just want to point out I probably won't be happy with that at all. The net result will be that one side of that aluminum piece would have to hang over the side of the receiver which is totally lame from a cosmetic standpoint.

The only elegant fix, which is totally pie in the sky that I can think of is if you guys made those aluminum blocks with the centerlines offset slightly so that the grip is effectively repositioned one way or the other to generate the needed clearance.

If you're going to send me back something ground on or modified in such a way that it's quite obvious it ain't kosher I'd just as soon have you send the gun back with the Compstock on it or some such. I'm not dying for the pistol grip aspect of it or the adjustable LOP...I just wanted to see how the whole reduced recoil thing worked out.

Regards,

James R.

James,

Have a little faith. We will fix the problem and it won't be a botched up mess. We just don't do things that way. I promise that you will be satisfied and that there will be no modifications to your shotgun. Please get it sent off so you can be shooting it again soon.

CaCrusin

James R.
07-12-2006, 6:40 PM
James,

Have a little faith. We will fix the problem and it won't be a botched up mess. We just don't do things that way. I promise that you will be satisfied and that there will be no modifications to your shotgun. Please get it sent off so you can be shooting it again soon.

CaCrusin

Sweet, sorry man I've just been burned so many times I'm a bit of a cynic. That and I have very high standards...

Regards,

James R.

tpliquid1
07-12-2006, 9:27 PM
spec ops stock here, no problem either. but still saving $$ for the stock shell holder. Nneeeeeeeeeeeeeeed

ggroovin
07-16-2006, 6:24 PM
Sorry in advance if this post is not kosher, but I have a new Spec Ops Stock and Power Pak for sale on the Firearms Accessory forum. Came with a 870 package I bought but I decided to stay with the standard stock. I am just more comfortable with a standard stock because of shooting sporting clays for so many years.

The Spec Ops and Power Pak are new in package. I did get to shoot my friend's 870 with a Spec Ops (cool set up with a tactical sling, side saddle and Power Pak) for an hours or so at a recent advanced shotgun class. Compared to my standard stock, the recoil was softer with the Spec Ops, so thet definitely works. Also liked he adjustable LOP because I have long arms, but I personally can't get use to the pistol grip. It makes me want to look over the bead, like trying to find my Aimpoint on my AR. I know it is stupid but when I shoot with the regular stock, I just go straight for a cheek weld like my sporting clay guns and my eye is right over the bead.

If know one buys it, I may put it on my 870 and just force myself to become accustomed to it. Definitely much tactic-cooler than a standard stock.

Thanks and sorry again if broke the rules by refering to my WTS post.