PDA

View Full Version : Buying an M1A rifle at Reno Gun Show?

Comstock Lode
07-07-2006, 1:28 PM
I'm planning to be in the Reno/Tahoe area this summer and attending the Reno Gun Show... Looking at buying an M1A. What are the rules around buying a rifle at the Reno Gun Show since I'm a California resident? Will they simply submit the FBI background paperwork right from there and I leave with the gun? Is there a wait period in Nevada? Is a California resident simply a persona non grata based on all of our incomprehensible firearms laws?

I understand an M1A needs to NOT include a flash hider or any other banned features and magazine capacity is limited to 10 before bringing into California.

Josh
07-07-2006, 1:31 PM
You need to get it shipped to an FFL in CA to do the background check and paperwork even if you pay for it in person in NV.

You just need to make sure that theres no flash supressor on it. Mag capacity is dependent on when you acquired the acutal magazine. So if you have any 20rd mags from before 2000 you can use them in you m1a.

Astig Boy
07-07-2006, 2:45 PM
There is no wait period in Nevada. But I wouldnt be surprised if they dont sell you a rifle since you reside in California.

JPglee1
07-07-2006, 2:47 PM
Its illegal to acquire a gun in NV and drive it across state lines.

Really stupid law too since CA doesn't have any rifle registration, no one would know... BUT if you DO get caught its a FELONY and not worth it.

IF you find an M1A in NV that you just have to get, pay for it and have the seller ship it to your local FFL. That way, you know its 100% legal and you don't have to stress out about it.

Taking the "easy" way out usually means the ILLEGAL way out.

JP

mltrading
07-07-2006, 2:53 PM
You need to pay then have the Neveda seller ship the rifle to a CA FFL(01). Then you finish the whole paper work at your CA FFL(01)'s.

It's a good idea to bring a signed copy of your CA FFL01 with you. Of course you need to let your FFL01 know in advance.

Remember to remove the original flash suppressor and hi-cap mags prior to shipping.

Just DO NOT pay for it and bring it back to CA. It's totally ILLEGAL. (I wonder the NV seller will let you do so.)

dwtt
07-07-2006, 9:49 PM
The Reno Gun show is July 29, so you still have time to find a local ffl who will transfer the rifle for you. Try this. Go to the local FFL you want to do the transfer and DROS with. Tell him you want to go buy a gun from NV and ask for a signed copy of his FFL. Take this signed copy FFL to the gun show with you and give it to whichever dealer you decide to buy a rifle from and have him send the rifle to your local FFL. Make sure the flash suppressor is removed before he sends the rifle, though. Also, pay him so he'll do his part.
Return home and then call your local FFL the following monday and tell him to expect a CA-legal rifle from whoever you bought from at the show.
This doesn't work for collectors and private individuals who bought a table at the show to sell from their private collection, just licensed FFL's.

Josh
07-07-2006, 10:27 PM
The Reno Gun show is July 29, so you still have time to find a local ffl who will transfer the rifle for you. Try this. Go to the local FFL you want to do the transfer and DROS with. Tell him you want to go buy a gun from NV and ask for a signed copy of his FFL. Take this signed copy FFL to the gun show with you and give it to whichever dealer you decide to buy a rifle from and have him send the rifle to your local FFL. Make sure the flash suppressor is removed before he sends the rifle, though. Also, pay him so he'll do his part.
Return home and then call your local FFL the following monday and tell him to expect a CA-legal rifle from whoever you bought from at the show.
This doesn't work for collectors and private individuals who bought a table at the show to sell from their private collection, just licensed FFL's.

This works for individual sales also.

ivanimal
07-08-2006, 12:24 AM
I know of two maybe three california FFL's that will be at the Reno show, I am sure they would do a transfer and dros for you. PM me and I will ask if they have any suggestions or history on this matter.

cyberpuppy42
07-09-2006, 1:39 PM
Speaking from my own experience, the gun shows at least in SoCal are a joke - they mostly have trinkets and accessories, and barely have any guns whatsoever to sell. I've stopped going because it was a waste of time and money. I can understand why someone would want to attend a real gun show in Reno.

gidddy169
07-09-2006, 4:11 PM
Gun shows in Reno (at least the Big Show) is fun to go see but the prices have normally been more expensive than just ordering a rifle. Every now and then you can get a good deal from a private party but then you still have to have it sent to your FFL dealer and do the background check.

ivanimal
07-09-2006, 8:31 PM
Reno gun shows are fun. I like to see the different rifles and what people think they are worth. I am still looking for that takedown model 99 in 308.:D

SFV_Dealer
07-09-2006, 8:32 PM
Yeah, Use the $100 rule of thumb when you get a gun outside your local shop:
Shipping of the gun, Transfer fees, DROS & tax (use tax).

Remember that when you see a gun at $50 less on the Internet or out of state gun show than a dealer locally - you aren't getting good deal because of the extra fees!

"Remember, support your local gun dealer in California as they are a rare breed"

Comstock Lode
07-11-2006, 6:08 AM
Thanks for the responses. I'll bring a signed FFL form... I'm questioning wether it even makes finacial sense, but I'll take a look and see. Thanks again.

SemiAutoSam
07-11-2006, 6:20 AM
Its illegal to acquire a gun in NV and drive it across state lines.

Really stupid law too since CA doesn't have any rifle registration, no one would know... BUT if you DO get caught its a FELONY and not worth it.

IF you find an M1A in NV that you just have to get, pay for it and have the seller ship it to your local FFL. That way, you know its 100% legal and you don't have to stress out about it.

Taking the "easy" way out usually means the ILLEGAL way out.

JP

JP

You wouldn't get very far trying to drive a out of state firearm as their not registered and or licensed for on road use,
they have no wheels and tires no engine, transmission, no drive train period.

and they also have no NDOT or CALDOT approved passenger compartment, Where wood you sit on the stock ?

Nope you couldn't drive a M1A or any other firearm across state lines.

JPglee1
07-11-2006, 6:48 AM
JP

You wouldn't get very far trying to drive a out of state firearm as their not registered and or licensed for on road use,

and they also have no NDOT or CALDOT approved passenger compartment, Where wood you sit on the stock ?

Nice... I love it, smarty ;)

JP

supdawg
07-11-2006, 2:28 PM
JP

Then comes the wonderful CA smog laws. No out of state firearm is smog legal. :)

Librarian
07-11-2006, 3:39 PM
Then comes the wonderful CA smog laws. No out of state firearm is smog legal. :)Nah - you only have to smog it if you register it; don't have to register unless it's a handgun!

mightymike
07-12-2006, 6:35 AM
Can my buddy who lives in Reno buy a rifle at the Reno gun show and bring it to California to shoot? While he's visiting in CA, could we take the rifle to a dealer to DROS to me? Assuming the rifle is CA legal.

bwiese
07-12-2006, 8:55 AM
Can my buddy who lives in Reno buy a rifle at the Reno gun show and bring it to California to shoot? While he's visiting in CA, could we take the rifle to a dealer to DROS to me? Assuming the rifle is CA legal.

Well, sounds like your buddy is a NV resident. So he can legally buy at the Reno show.

There is no issue with importation of someone's personal firearms CA as long as they are not considered assault weapons (or illegal SBRs, etc.) Remember, a semiauto Mini14, M1A, etc. with flash hider is an AW, so make sure you have a muzzle brake. Also, SKSes with detachable magazines are assault weapons.

Don't bring in hicap mags (those holding over 10rds).

Other than above, tell him to go ahead, c'mon over and shoot.

mightymike
07-12-2006, 6:53 PM
I guess what I'm saying is that I would rather have my NV resident pal buy the gun at the show and bring it to CA to DROS to me, than to have it shipped or left with a dealer. Would this be legal?

bwiese
07-12-2006, 7:03 PM
I guess what I'm saying is that I would rather have my NV resident pal buy the gun at the show and bring it to CA to DROS to me, than to have it shipped or left with a dealer. Would this be legal?

Yes. But what's wrong with shipping to a CA dealer? Your friend's gasoline bill will be far more costly than US mail postage. Unless you wanna let your friend drive it into CA to your FFL for free.

Millions of guns a year move just fine thru shipment. M1As ain't that delicate.

M. Sage
07-12-2006, 7:11 PM
I think you don't quite comprehend something. The transfer still has to go through a California FFL and regardless it stays with the dealer for 10 days while the CA DOJ runs the background check on you.

Also sounds awful close to a straw sale, doesn't it?

He could always move to NV and become a resident, buy the gun, then move back to CA and become a resident again. He'd only have to pay use tax on the rifle, then. :rolleyes:

SemiAutoSam
07-12-2006, 7:18 PM
I'm planning to be in the Reno/Tahoe area this summer and attending the Reno Gun Show... Looking at buying an M1A. What are the rules around buying a rifle at the Reno Gun Show since I'm a California resident? Will they simply submit the FBI background paperwork right from there and I leave with the gun? Is there a wait period in Nevada? Is a California resident simply a persona non grata based on all of our incomprehensible firearms laws?

I understand an M1A needs to NOT include a flash hider or any other banned features and magazine capacity is limited to 10 before bringing into California.

Are you planning on attending the crossroads of the west show
http://www.crossroadsgunshows.com/
Reno Convention Center
4590 S. Virginia St.
Reno, NV 89502

at the convention center on south virginia or the SO CALLED BIG RENO SHOW at the reno hilton ?

Ive been to both but feel of late the CROTW show is a little better from both things Ive heard and past experience. at one time the BRS was a great show Ive made 1000.00 in a 3 day weekend at that show in the past but its changed for sellers and buyers alike.

If you like cowboy and indian type stuff you will most likely love the BRS on the other hand if you have more of an interest in military weapons then the CROTW show might be more to your liking.

http://www.bigrenoshow.com/

put on by
Lou (the fascist) Fascio

Have fun

bwiese
07-12-2006, 7:20 PM
Also sounds awful close to a straw sale, doesn't it?

No, because a straw sale has to have illegal intent of evading laws and/or transferring to a prohibited person.

This guy just wants to buy a gun at the Reno show but not have to travel there, and for some reason is worried about shipment of his gun and wants it hand carried. As long as it's going thru FFLs where appropriate it's fine.

CTT2
07-13-2006, 12:31 AM
First of all if you wanted to bring a long gun from Reno to California this is what you have to do.

1. Establish residency in another state.
2. Buy the long gun in that state.
3. Move back to California with the intent of establishing residency in California.
4. By California law you are not required to register the long gun, rifle or shotgun, so long as it is not considered an assault weapon in California and you are not prohibited from having it.

For handguns.
1. Establish residency in another state.
2. Buy the hand gun in that state.
3. Move back to California with the intent of establishing residency in California.
4. Under California you are required by law to fill out New Resident Handgun Ownership Report (http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf). Note: Handgun must be California legal e.g. on the list of approve hand guns.

Hope this will answer your questions. If your friend were to come into California and establish residency, you both could go to Big 5 and have it transfered for $35.

Now how do I transfer a rifle to my brother who is also a California resident without going through an FFL. I haven't found that answer yet. I know people will say use the Report of Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Handgun Transaction (http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf) form but that form is only for hand guns.

mightymike
07-13-2006, 6:38 PM
I don't live far from the state line and he's always coming down to visit. I was mainly thinking about doing this in case I can't make it up for the show. Thanks for the info though.

calAWBsux
07-14-2006, 12:16 AM
Okay, so what's the penalty if a Californian was in NV and bought a rifle from a resident in that state, but didn't bother to have it shipped to an FFL in Cali? And the rifle in question was not an AW, just a plain ol' rifle. Is that a felony, or what? And why does California care if you bought a non-AW, non scary lookin rifle from a private party in another state?

Josh
07-14-2006, 12:44 AM
Okay, so what's the penalty if a Californian was in NV and bought a rifle from a resident in that state, but didn't bother to have it shipped to an FFL in Cali? And the rifle in question was not an AW, just a plain ol' rifle. Is that a felony, or what? And why does California care if you bought a non-AW, non scary lookin rifle from a private party in another state?

federal offence. Violates both state and federal laws.

Best to just do it the legal way and get it done through a CA FFL.

calAWBsux
07-14-2006, 12:53 AM
Understood. But, how would the person in the above scenario get in trouble if it is legit rifle to own in California? Once that person is in California what would happen to that person if no one knows he ever bought it out of state. Not trying to force the issue here, just asking questions, because, I think having to ship the rifle to California and having to pay $100 is ridiculous.

Comstock Lode
07-14-2006, 6:06 AM
"...more of an interest in military weapons then the CROTW show might be more to your liking."

I think the CROTW. I'm looking at the various M1As to figure out which one best suits my interests. I've done a few High Power rifle shoots with the AR, but I see a lot of guys doing real well with M1As and just like the look, feel and caliber of the M1A. Thinking seriously about a Standard "Loaded" model with a SS barrel, fiberglass stock. I don't really like the super heavy "Super Match" just too big and heavy...

Another fundamental question onm the M1A is the ca[pability to add a good high power sniper scope, apparently requires drill and tap, and an elevated cheek rest... Still in the R&D phase on this purchase, but getting closer...

Did the same thing on the AR, settled on the RR NM upper with SS barrel, very accurate, very happy with it!

SemiAutoSam
07-14-2006, 6:17 AM

Well if you do this and dont get caught your ok I suppose but IMHO its a control issue PRC does not want its subjects wandering off and purchasing so easily in a neighbouring state what it cannot in the persons home state without alot of hoops to jump through.

Think about this PRC is surrounded by not only free states but class 3 states

PRC must control its subjects.

BTW by saying your ok if you purchase something while in a free state and bring it home BY no means am I advocating such action.

Josh
07-14-2006, 8:59 AM
Understood. But, how would the person in the above scenario get in trouble if it is legit rifle to own in California? Once that person is in California what would happen to that person if no one knows he ever bought it out of state. Not trying to force the issue here, just asking questions, because, I think having to ship the rifle to California and having to pay $100 is ridiculous.

If the firearm ever gets stolen or for any reason the authorities need to track the guns that the original purchaser bought. While there is no offical database of who owns what they can still track these things.

mailman
07-14-2006, 9:01 AM
Just buy one in CA :p

grammaton76
07-14-2006, 10:59 AM

Yes, it's a felony - albeit one you PROBABLY wouldn't get caught for. There aren't very many misdemeanors when it comes to transferring firearms.

Personally, I would sleep much better at night knowing that if my girlfriend ever goes psycho on me and the cops come sieze all my guns, then check legality on all of 'em so they can nail an "evil gun owner", that I don't have a felony waiting for me if they look hard enough.

bwiese
07-14-2006, 11:30 AM
Personally, I would sleep much better at night knowing that if my girlfriend ever goes psycho on me and the cops come sieze all my guns, then check legality on all of 'em so they can nail an "evil gun owner", that I don't have a felony waiting for me if they look hard enough.

I know you were saying that half in jest, but that's actually good thinking.

grammaton76
07-14-2006, 11:36 AM
I know you were saying that half in jest, but that's actually good thinking.

Actually, I wasn't even half jesting. Bear in mind that a large subset of prosecutions come from domestic violence cases, and the ONLY thing it takes for a DV case is for the woman to make a claim. Even if YOU never lay a hand on her, she can pick up the phone and lie any time she wants to. You cannot, by your own actions, ensure that it will never happen.

Get the wrong woman into the wrong mood... *shudder*

This is why I refuse to date a girl who doesn't either own or want to own firearms of her own. It's good when she has too much at stake to get into that mess with frivolous complaints, since they'd take her guns too. :)

jessegpresley
07-15-2006, 2:59 AM

You're really going far out of your way and making it harder than it needs to be to get something that you could easily order off the internet, and pick up at your local FFL; or just buy from your local gun shop. It's an M1A, not a drug deal.

I went to the last Reno gun show, and I don't remember seeing a price on an M1A that was any better than anything on Gunbroker.

There was a startling number of 1911s there, and that was about it.