PDA

View Full Version : Scouting/hiking Piru / Fillmore D13?

icentropy
12-03-2010, 2:43 PM
Well since deer season has come and gone and bear season is basically gone as well. Does anyone hunt D13 more from the Fillmore side? I would like to get out there and do some scouting/hiking, and was hoping there was someone here that's familiar with this zone that would like to join me (I'm a new hunter, i've never gone there and don't really know where to start). Looking for a local place for Turkey, deer, bear?

Abesnake
12-03-2010, 9:20 PM
Well since deer season has come and gone and bear season is basically gone as well. Does anyone hunt D13 more from the Fillmore side? I would like to get out there and do some scouting/hiking, and was hoping there was someone here that's familiar with this zone that would like to join me (I'm a new hunter, i've never gone there and don't really know where to start). Looking for a local place for Turkey, deer, bear?

If you go up in back of Piru you can stop at Thompson's Range and have some practice. If you pass it there is an entrance gate for $10 to get into the lake, but the road doesn't go much farther and you will have to hoof it or go fishing. Go up the 33 through Ojai into Los Padres NF. There is a right turn that will take you up a dirt road to Reyes Peak at the top. There are multiple places to camp out all along that road; and an out house at the very top, but no water. There are bear, deer and mountain lions. It's no secret I'm giving away. The 33 is the dividing line between D13 and D11. If you go in on the West side of the 33, it's D11. Check with the Forestry Service in Ojai. There is a game preserve, but it is huntable I think with a permit, and also known to be very good. Don't just walk. Look behind you. :eek::43:

Annonymous
12-03-2010, 9:39 PM
West side of the 33 is A zone, east side is D13

DirtyDave
12-03-2010, 10:48 PM
The 33 is the dividing line between D13 and D11. If you go in on the West side of the 33, it's D11

D11 is on the EAST side of the 5 FWY
West of the 33 is A ZONE
D13 is between the 5 and 33

Abesnake
12-04-2010, 2:33 AM
D11 is on the EAST side of the 5 FWY
West of the 33 is A ZONE
D13 is between the 5 and 33

And Thank You for yer support. LOL I stand corrected.

Tanner68
12-04-2010, 12:53 PM
I am down for scouting new spots on the Fillmore side. I know lots of good spots already, and there is a lot I want to check out. We can make some plans for after upland season ends, so in February.

Abesnake
12-04-2010, 10:14 PM
I am down for scouting new spots on the Fillmore side. I know lots of good spots already, and there is a lot I want to check out. We can make some plans for after upland season ends, so in February.

From one lansman to another, Tanner. Just be careful. I have a surveyor friend who works that area and he told me there are frequently helicopters patrolling back there. He knows a prospector who hikes in to his claim a few miles above the lake (several hours uphill). It is a well known area for shall we say...illegal agricultural pursuits. Maybe you can verify that information for us. That's why I was recommending somewhere off the 33. Be Well. :eek: