PDA

View Full Version : A use for all those "CA approved" locks . . .

double_action
07-06-2006, 11:02 PM
Not the most elegant solution, but a quick and easy way to lock up .50 cans . . .

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g276/double_ation/Locks.jpg

chris
07-06-2006, 11:49 PM
that is a good idea. i mine are collecting dust as a type the reply. i will hopefully remember this idea.

moulton
07-07-2006, 3:31 PM
here is a good one :) :D :rolleyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/tom99999/Locked.jpg

leelaw
07-07-2006, 5:15 PM
here is a good one :) :D :rolleyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/tom99999/Locked.jpg

Ah, and it has the same net effect: Prevents you from using something for your safety, during your time of greatest need.

double_action
07-07-2006, 7:47 PM
Ah, and it has the same net effect: Prevents you from using something for your safety, during your time of greatest need.

Why do you assume that what's in the cans are the only things available to me to protect myself???

If I had to get to all the ammunition in those cans immediately, I'd be in deep doo doo and would have, most likely, already lost. I do have resources readily available to protect myself.

Plus, I have small children in the house and it doesn’t feel good to have a lot of stuff unsecured. For a while, I didn't own a safe and had to get a few locks. A $5 can and a lock I already own makes for a cheap storage solution, a lot cheaper than some cheesy Big 5 plastic box and a padlock for $25.

grammaton76
07-07-2006, 7:53 PM
I believe he wasn't saying anything about you, but rather about how California would probably like things to be (i.e. require all ammo to be stored like that at all times).

BossHog
07-07-2006, 9:06 PM
Why do you assume that what's in the cans are the only things available to me to protect myself???

If I had to get to all the ammunition in those cans immediately, I'd be in deep doo doo and would have, most likely, already lost. I do have resources readily available to protect myself.

Plus, I have small children in the house and it doesn’t feel good to have a lot of stuff unsecured. For a while, I didn't own a safe and had to get a few locks. A $5 can and a lock I already own makes for a cheap storage solution, a lot cheaper than some cheesy Big 5 plastic box and a padlock for $25.

He was referring to the gun lock on the fire extinguisher; not the ammo cans.

leelaw
07-07-2006, 10:46 PM

Uh.. You did see that I quoted the post with the fire extinguisher, right? I mean, the picture shows up on my computer, does it not show up for you?

tankerman
07-08-2006, 7:27 AM
I won't show the bondage pictures. I'll leave that to your imagination.

double_action
07-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Uh.. You did see that I quoted the post with the fire extinguisher, right? I mean, the picture shows up on my computer, does it not show up for you?

Yeah . . . my bad. I was a long, sh**** day yesterday. Sorry for being quick on the post.

jbsocal
07-11-2006, 10:27 AM
Yeah . . . my bad. I was a long, sh**** day yesterday. Sorry for being quick on the post.

Guys who are man enough to readily admit their mistakes have my respect.

50 Freak
07-11-2006, 10:40 AM
I get as many as the local PD or gun stores pass out. Those locks suck and are only good for hanging up steel target plates at my local range.:D :D

phish
07-11-2006, 2:31 PM
I gave 2 of mine to a co-worker. He didn't know he had to keep his locked up since he has kids.

Harbinger
07-11-2006, 2:36 PM
I was out at Spenceville BLM and some guy had a brand new HK locked up with a CA approved lock. He'd forgotten the keys, so everyone was trying their lock's keys on it.

A buddy and I grabbed a pair of wire cutters, applied a bit of pressure, and voila!

:eek:

moulton
07-11-2006, 6:26 PM
yup...I had a similar problem with a tirger lock on my .22, Luckely we were able to use a belt sander to grind it down par enough to rotate the bolt and it poped off:o

superhondaz50
07-12-2006, 10:09 AM
I use my CA locks as spinning targets!!!! hang em up and shoot at em :D

M. Sage
07-12-2006, 7:16 PM
My wife uses my lock to lock her helmet to her motorcycle.

You co-worker doesn't HAVE to lock his guns up, IIRC, he just has to make sure his kids don't shoot anybody with them. :P (I grew up without locks on the guns... never did shoot myself or my brother, no matter how much I wanted to do the latter.)

Great thread. Useless locks.

moulton
07-12-2006, 7:43 PM
I only use gun locks for when im transporting, otherwise they are locked in the gun locker, except for pistols, which are in a locked case and in the gun locker

M. Sage
07-12-2006, 7:46 PM
I only use gun locks for when im transporting, otherwise they are locked in the gun locker, except for pistols, which are in a locked case and in the gun locker

I just have to ask... why do you lock long guns for transport when there's no requirement to?

kantstudien
07-13-2006, 1:43 AM
I have a better idea: Sell them back to your dealer! He would probably be willing to buy them if they are CA approved, new, and below his own cost.

Rumpled
07-13-2006, 4:18 PM
I just have to ask... why do you lock long guns for transport when there's no requirement to?

I think we're lost in the syntax, I don't think Sage meant to say he's locking long guns - though he might. If he's like me, driving a SUV; locking pistols and Reg's AW's is the only way to go.

M. Sage
07-13-2006, 5:24 PM
I think we're lost in the syntax, I don't think Sage meant to say he's locking long guns - though he might. If he's like me, driving a SUV; locking pistols and Reg's AW's is the only way to go.

Lol, umm... We're getting lost in names, too, I think.

It sounded like he was locking normal long guns to me.

Don't even get me started on transporting a 91/30 in a Miata (hint: the rifle won't even fit into the opening for the trunk.)