PDA

View Full Version : 1911 holster

oldschool88
12-03-2010, 3:02 AM
So I recently picked up my first 1911, a Kimber Custom 2. It has quickly become my favorate handgun. Only thing i need is a good holster. I plan to use it as my primary go to handgun, and plan to start going to different shooting courses with it. I was looking at simple kydex/plastic retention holsters and i am leaning that way. My main concern is the plastic damaging the finish of the weapon over time. I'm not sure if this is even an issue. I just need something simple and practical. Thanks.

edwardm
12-03-2010, 8:12 AM
My Blackhawk Serpa CQC is wearing the finish off my Custom II TLE in a few places. Really, it doesn't bother me. When I die and pass it on to my kid(s), if the thing looks brand new and unused, then it was probably a waste for me to have it.

Use it, enjoy it, take care of it, but don't baby it, I say. :)

So I recently picked up my first 1911, a Kimber Custom 2. It has quickly become my favorate handgun. Only thing i need is a good holster. I plan to use it as my primary go to handgun, and plan to start going to different shooting courses with it. I was looking at simple kydex/plastic retention holsters and i am leaning that way. My main concern is the plastic damaging the finish of the weapon over time. I'm not sure if this is even an issue. I just need something simple and practical. Thanks.

kmca
12-03-2010, 8:33 AM
You might want to reconsider the retention holster. I use my BladeTech DOH in competition and I've never felt it was any where near in danger of falling out. Plastic holsters wear on the "high points" on the gun over time, leather takes longer to wear the finish off, but it's spread over a larger area. If it's for CCW, that's something else.

Chief-7700
12-03-2010, 8:45 AM
Any type of holster is going to cause wear to the finish of your gun. The trick is to find one that works for you.

negolien
12-03-2010, 4:22 PM
I also had the same concerns for my Custom II. I ended up getting the

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=568

at midwayusa for the holster at $37.50 and the

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=572

for the mags at opticsforyou.com for $28.57..

I was very impressed with the fit and quality of the products. The holster is lined and comes with both paddle and belt attachments. The mag pouch is a double thats also a paddle attachment. :)Take a look and see what ya think.

bsg
12-03-2010, 6:30 PM
any holster will put wear on your handgun.

pointman1531
12-04-2010, 1:46 AM
My main concern is the plastic damaging the finish of the weapon over time. I'm not sure if this is even an issue. I just need something simple and practical. Thanks.

I use both a Blade Tech IWB holster and a paddlle kydex holster. I use a GALCO and FIST Inc. waistband leather holster.

If you want your Kimber to look "pretty" then I would suggest leaving it on the shelf. Scotty Reitz wrote an article regarding "pretty guns" in a recent SWAT Magazine.

Wear & tear on the finish means that you practice, you work at it, and you use it. If it shoots well. If you shoot it well, then the finish should not matter. In fact, it just might build character. And if you really are concern about the finish.. But a duplicate Kimber...

jak77
12-04-2010, 5:49 PM
Ive been happy with my comptac for my Springer Loaded.

Oshiat
12-04-2010, 9:21 PM
I bought a very nice holster for my Kimber Ultra CDP II from these guys:

http://www.ttgunleather.com/

It took quite a while to arrive, but the quality is excellent.

m5shooter
12-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Just get the pistol re-finished when it's time and practice, practice.

homerm14
12-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Comp-tac makes good stuff at a good price. If you want plastic you can't go wrong with them. Now leather, that's another story and price.

Mac Attack
12-05-2010, 1:39 PM
Do yourself a favor and invest on a custom made holster from any of the big names. Most have delivery times I'm the range of 18 - 26 weeks. If you plan to carry everyday you will like how the leather contours to your body. Plus why spend hundreds on your handgun then carry it in a $40 holster? When I started carrying years ago I purchased my holster off the rack in leather and kydex. I could never find one that worked well for me so I took the advice of a seasoned CCW holder and ordered a VMII from Milt Sparks. I now have custom holsters for all my carry guns and haven't looked back.

TKM
12-05-2010, 1:49 PM
I have about 10 1911 holsters but my favorite is from Ken Null.

http://www.klnullholsters.com/