PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix arms HP-22A

Eddie1965
12-02-2010, 10:55 PM
I put in a special order for a Phoenix Arms HP-22A deluxe range kit at Turners about 4 months ago, they didn't have it in stock so I was on the wish list (no money exchanged). I get a call a couple weeks ago saying that they had it and if I still wanted it. $260 OTD and 10 days later here it is. Now to get to the range.

Ledbetter
12-11-2010, 5:53 PM
I've got one in 10-day jail as well. Picking it up on Thursday. Heard a lot about these, good and bad. Like the idea of a "lifetime" guarantee, however long they stay in business.

scootle
12-12-2010, 12:51 AM
Sounds like fun... definitely share a range report once you get them home, cleaned up, and off to the range!

MAK422
12-12-2010, 9:57 PM
I am thinking about getting one. I do know if I get one I will be doing the modification so I can drop the magazine and clear the chamber without having to rack the slide until magazine is empty and then dropping magazine.

JAGACIDA
12-13-2010, 3:02 PM
I bought one for my wife today, same setup w/range kit. $190+ change. She loves it.

Eddie1965
12-13-2010, 7:55 PM
I am thinking about getting one. I do know if I get one I will be doing the modification so I can drop the magazine and clear the chamber without having to rack the slide until magazine is empty and then dropping magazine.

I ordered the parts that need modifying, that way when, not if, I have to send it back to get repaired I'll take the modified parts out and put the unmodified ones in and they'll honor the warranty.

mnh327
12-19-2010, 7:51 AM
I ordered the parts that need modifying, that way when, not if, I have to send it back to get repaired I'll take the modified parts out and put the unmodified ones in and they'll honor the warranty.

Where do you order the parts from and how much are they?

You say "when, not if", is that because it's a cheap piece of junk, or because you plan on wearing it out with lots of shooting? I read somewhere it costs around $50 to send it in.

JAGGUY
12-19-2010, 9:20 AM
If you shoot high velocity or hotter ammo from a Phoenix the frame will eventually crack at the magwell. Lots of examples of that happening. Phoenix recommends only standard velocity for that reason, and that is all I shoot in mine.
Just one example:
http://www.bryco-jennings-jimenezarms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5951

Nice shooting inexpensive little pistol, if you treat it right.

jackandblood
12-20-2010, 8:10 PM
it's the good stuff aluminum in that area isn't it? Guy got 2100+ rds out of a piece smaller then some folding knives, pretty cool.

IrishPirate
12-20-2010, 8:24 PM

i've got one (that i'm thinking about selling!!) and i found that if you rack the slide back and lock it, then hold the top and release the slide catch so it will move forward just a little, then push it back up so it's not locking the slide you can drop the magazine without having to empty the mag first. only takes a little practice to get right but it's easy after that. I'm only thinking about selling mine because i want a walther p22 for my wife since she's left handed and i need to fund it. It's been good to me though....still not sure if i want to sell it........:shrug:

Ape
12-20-2010, 8:37 PM
I bought one for my daughter about 2 years ago and it still works like a charm.

As far as the safety is concerned, you can easily fix the mag safety with a small amount of dremel work and a couple of minutes. I wont discuss that here since I have no idea if Kalifornia has laws against that kind of thing? But I will say that if you're worried about ruining the warranty, all you need to do is order another safety and keep it on hand if you ever have to send it in. ;)

Eddie1965
12-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Where do you order the parts from and how much are they?

You say "when, not if", is that because it's a cheap piece of junk, or because you plan on wearing it out with lots of shooting? I read somewhere it costs around $50 to send it in.

The safety costs $4.50 and I plan on shooting the hell out of this gun. You can order the parts from the factory; they charge $4.50 for shipping so try to add more items to your order to offset the shipping fees. I ordered an extra mag, holster and a few other extra parts.

hefedehefe
12-21-2010, 8:48 AM
Man thats awesome. I tried soo hard to get one that color and all the turners here in OC would not help me out. They kept saying black only :( Oh well. I love my HP22