PDA

View Full Version : .22 AR upper question

mindwip
12-02-2010, 10:22 PM
This should be quick.

I recently completed my dream AR (as far as CA will let me dream) and want to order a CMMG upper (from what i read they have great reliability and are very accurate). If i buy the upper do i need to replace anything other then the mags i use.

It seems like i would need to use a different buffer in the stock but i see no one mentioning it. Also i can add all the evil features i want right (other then hi-cap mags). I have seen people post both way during my research here.

Thats it really,

Thanks!

Edited If any one knows of a cheap place to buy them in Orange county or Online let me know! Or has one used.

bjl333
12-02-2010, 10:25 PM
With the 22 upper you can use a regular mag release button. Make sure the centerfire upper doesn't go on the lower with the regular mag release. Upper and mag only.

only10x
12-02-2010, 10:30 PM
let me know what you end up buying, im really interested in buying one myself.

mindwip
12-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Right now i have a featureless build but want to add some fun stuff in a while. Thats another reason i am getting the 22 upper.

Great, thanks

Is there a reason to get a conversion over a upper, it seems like there uppers work better overall then just a conversion

thunderbolt
12-02-2010, 10:37 PM
I installed a Raddlock on my AR lower for just this reason. In position one it's a California legal Bullet Button device that I can attach my 5.56 upper to with no problem. In position two, attained by use of a tool, the magazine release becomes a normal unit for the use with my CMMC .22 upper. No need to have two lowers. BTW the CMMG rocks.

xr650r
12-03-2010, 8:02 AM
No buffer/spring required. The bolt in the upper has the recoil spring assembly.

gunn
12-03-2010, 8:44 AM
Right now i have a featureless build but want to add some fun stuff in a while. Thats another reason i am getting the 22 upper.

Great, thanks

Is there a reason to get a conversion over a upper, it seems like there uppers work better overall then just a conversion

Your post is a bit confusing but if you are asking what the advantages are of going with a dedicated
a) 22LR upper vs.
b) 5.56/.223 upper + 22LR conversion kit

One argument would be accuracy.
* Most 22LR barrels use a 1:16" twist. That's what you get (or should get) when buying a dedicated 22LR upper

* Most 5.56 barrels are 1:9" or 1:8" twist... and that is too much for the 22LR and will hurt your accuracy. You'll still be able to hit minute of beercan for plinking but I'm not sure how accurate you are looking here.

* I believe the original M16A1 barrels were 1:12" so if you were going for a retro build, using a conversion kit would be OK (while I'm not sure if they will cycle the AR action, Aquila Sub Sonic Sniper rds prefer 1:12" twist rifles). I doubt though that you went for a retro build since most folks wouldn't for their first AR.

I'm not sure what your target accuracy is.

A friend of mine spent $1100 on just the offer from Accuracy Speaks and this thing is a tack driver.
http://www.accuracyspeaks.com/22lr-ar_15.htm

Will you get the same level of accuracy from a Chiappa/ATI upper for $350 (I believe these are the current best deal on dedicated uppers right now)? Probably not.

As for whether or not a different buffer spring is required, it all depends on the upper. Lakeside Machine's beltfed 22LR upper uses a recoil buffer that they supply.

-g

mindwip
12-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Sorry for the confusing bit, rereading what i wrote i see what you mean. Thats what i get for posting before bed.

I have decided what i am going to get a Evoulation .22 upper with stainless steel bolt.

My only question left is if i will get any of the below upgrades not sure what they do will call CMMG

Upper Receiver Upgrade:

Forward Assist Adapter Upgrade:

Collar Upgrade:

ummagawd
12-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Love love love my cmmg dedicated upper. I highly suggest you check them out. They're developing alot of gamechangers in therimfire world including a match barrel that I'm looking into myself

mikaarce
12-03-2010, 6:03 PM
22lr conversion kit, issues, accuracy and reliability, picky w ammo.

only10x
12-03-2010, 6:21 PM
its my understanding that a stock cmmg upper has a useless forward assist(FA) unless you pay for the upgrade which allows you to use the FA as you would on a standard AR.

so what good does the SS collar do? anyone know?

BAGunner
12-03-2010, 8:13 PM
The part in circle is collar. I will go with a stainless collar for a stainless bolt.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=77434&stc=1&d=1291439477

only10x
12-03-2010, 8:27 PM
well its going to come with one automatically, question is whether or not its worth the extra $$ to get SS?